SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#444202 - 01/07/18 11:58 PM Re: How much do you strip down out of a style? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

It depends on what sound you want to archieve..

For a live sound... Rock and Ballads..
I stick to drum, Base and a guitar..
And then play the keyparts on top of that..

But when playing Jazzy, there is 2 choices, go for the whole swing band, or just a small jazz combo...
Both give very different results for the same song... Where i love the bigband to sound all out, i prefer the jazz combo small, maybe even just drums and Bass..

Its the power of an arranger to create a backing that suits your needs..
The good thing about to busy styles, is that you can mostly easilly strip them down
But if you have a very basic style, it takes more work to get that a little busier..

I think this is what Yamaha styles really do well
In general they are quite busy..
But stripping them down often gives the wanted result.

I also think Ketron is best for edditing the styles to your liking,
with their style modeling. Especially if you want to make a style busier
Its much easier to archive that with the way style modeling is set up.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#444204 - 01/08/18 12:46 AM Re: How much do you strip down out of a style? [Re: Dnj]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Very often I'm down to Drums Bass then add a Guitar Multi-Pad.
Play EP or Piano over the top....works well.

#444208 - 01/08/18 02:43 AM Re: How much do you strip down out of a style? [Re: tony mads usa]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Years ago the organ players moved through a song while making many changes; it was an art in itself. Then came the use if registrations – they allowed the player to put more of himself into his performance.

The import word is speed. Sure I could hit the transpose button, and I do know the chords, but why not include them in the registration allowing all my concentration to stay with the song.

When I listen to a god live band the volumes and instrumentation changes. The trumpets, saxes, and trombones do not continue to blast – they back off, they stop playing or lower their volume. Back to Mack the knife example. If enough changes are not made for the repetitive five choruses the song goes nowhere; the same for a song called Love. If I am going to press a registration to change the volumes and the instrumentation, why not include transposing or anything I might want???

I also include a tempo change – yes a tempo change, 145 at the beginning – to 148 towards the end – it adds more excitement. I would never do that to Latin music or a waltz or a disco.

I do not want to lose dancers or listeners – nor do I want anything to take away from my concentration on my singing.

I use only one registration for Five Foot Two. (smile)
Just saying, John C.

#444212 - 01/08/18 06:57 AM Re: How much do you strip down out of a style? [Re: J. Larry]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By J. Larry
Fran’s analysis is right on the money. Often, less is more. At present, I’m playing a Yamaha. I’d love to use some of the big band styles. However, they just don’t fit a quiet dinner party. The brass riffs, intros and endings will blow people away, in a negative way. So, paring down the style parts is necessary, at least for me. That’s why on guitar gigs, I use Band In A Box, for its small combo simplicity.

I too often take out some of the horn riffs on the big band stuff. Those riffs can get very repetitive and get in the way of the melody/vocal.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#444214 - 01/08/18 07:11 AM Re: How much do you strip down out of a style? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
For those of us that rely on our vocal abilities, less is always better - there's no disputing this. For those who cannot sing, they tend to need more in order to fill out that song to it's fullest potential. Of course, there are times, such as performances during dinner parties or light music at restaurants, then the less rule comes into play as well.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#444217 - 01/08/18 08:11 AM Re: How much do you strip down out of a style? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Before I could write my own response others have covered all the bases perfectly especially Fran. Nice to know so many of us think along the same lines. Less is more. KISS !

#444223 - 01/08/18 09:39 AM Re: How much do you strip down out of a style? [Re: Dnj]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Its already been said, but I dont always like big arrangements. Much prefer playing with just audio guitars ,bass and audio drums. very rarely do I use a full arangement. Normaly have a left hand pad over the top, maybe a wurlitzer ep/rhodes or hammond.

#444224 - 01/08/18 09:49 AM Re: How much do you strip down out of a style? [Re: Tonewheeldude]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
What amazes me about this thread is the fact that when a new KB comes out, everyone is ga-ga over the new styles ... we see post after post after post accompanied by all the ooohs and aaaahs about how great this style, that style, and all these styles sound, and yet all I'm reading here is how people take those great styles and strip them down ... confused1 wink

#444226 - 01/08/18 10:02 AM Re: How much do you strip down out of a style? [Re: Dnj]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I also agree with Fran, with styles and midi files, I generally change the bass and drum parts to parts that I use most, and almost always, I'll remove or change string parts - I think, in most (not all) cases, it sounds a little odd for a single act to have a full string section behind him.

#444227 - 01/08/18 10:05 AM Re: How much do you strip down out of a style? [Re: bruno123]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123
Years ago the organ players moved through a song while making many changes; it was an art in itself. Then came the use if registrations – they allowed the player to put more of himself into his performance.

The import word is speed. Sure I could hit the transpose button, and I do know the chords, but why not include them in the registration allowing all my concentration to stay with the song.

When I listen to a god live band the volumes and instrumentation changes. The trumpets, saxes, and trombones do not continue to blast – they back off, they stop playing or lower their volume. Back to Mack the knife example. If enough changes are not made for the repetitive five choruses the song goes nowhere; the same for a song called Love. If I am going to press a registration to change the volumes and the instrumentation, why not include transposing or anything I might want???

I also include a tempo change – yes a tempo change, 145 at the beginning – to 148 towards the end – it adds more excitement. I would never do that to Latin music or a waltz or a disco.

I do not want to lose dancers or listeners – nor do I want anything to take away from my concentration on my singing.

I use only one registration for Five Foot Two. (smile)
Just saying, John C.

I can see how this works pretty nice om stage... actually with an instrument like the Genos its almost a must to work this way...

But as a home player, i do prefer to change things on the fly, quickly as i play a new song, just choosing a new keyboardset on the fly.. its funny that i think the Korg is more suited for on. The fly changes then The Genos. Even tough many people deem the Korg more oriented at pro players where the yamaha is more oriented at home players...

I also love how the Ketron touchscreen interface handles this, its easy to choose new 3/4 layer sounds......

Seems to me that Yamaha is mostly relying on the performance memmories, altough i must admit, their implementation is pretty much brilliant... when playing a T5, it felt natural to make performance memmories for everything...

On the Pa4x, i make a single songbook entry for my edited style, and work from there using direct acces to the keyboardsets... the direct access is golden... altough on the T5 i had a huge amount of performances saving just the righthand sounds i loved...

Mybe on the Genos things got better, don’t know if you can make a direct access button that takes you directly to your map where you saved all your just sound performances...

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online