SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#444194 - 01/07/18 06:35 PM my idea on how to stay in music
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I've had an idea for a few years now about how to keep yourself alive in today's music scene (i.e. how to keep on working).

Before I tell you....I hear everyone talking about how music has deteriorated to the point of "it's not music anymore." Well, correct.....it's not! It's a free-for-all, something like a World Wrestling Federation event with 20 wrestlers in the ring with barbed wire surrounding it and NO ONE actually wins. Everyone just butts heads.

So, I'll tell you my idea, but before I do that, does anyone else have any of their own thoughts on how to re-enter the market (hint: by transforming themselves)?

P.S. I'm not keen on my idea, but it WOULD work!

#444197 - 01/07/18 06:55 PM Re: my idea on how to stay in music [Re: Mark79100]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
In my area, the live music scene is more or less stratified by age groups. I generally stay with the senior group, which is where I fit. If we can keep that group alive a little longer, there should be continued work. No way will I spend time learning contemporary material, which I don’t listen to anyway. I’m in retirement, so I play what I like and in most cases, my audience likes it too----at least that’s what they say. They haven’t kicked me out, as yet. The work is still there, at least for now.

#444200 - 01/07/18 07:27 PM Re: my idea on how to stay in music [Re: Mark79100]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
“Our Crowd,” is the 50 plus groups. So, if we stick with senior groups, the music will keep getting younger. Standards are still standards... timeless music.

Technology has given us all an opportunity to be the musicians we are. So, even though the new music isn’t our thing, we should respect it with the same feeling we respect ourselves by doing what we enjoy.
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#444209 - 01/08/18 03:08 AM Re: my idea on how to stay in music [Re: shueymusic]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
When I had my Music Store/Music School I sold accordions to my students and outside customers. It was what was in demand. With the coming of new types of music accordions lost their popularity. Sales went down; I became frustrated until a little Jewish lady said to me, “John you must go with the flow”. I thought; she’s right. Guitar then became the most desired instrument. Sales went up and I was happy.

My simple answer: You must go with the flow/times. The musicians who went from playing with live bands went to OMB. The OMB musicians went from parties to N.H. The musicians who played N.H. went to enjoying
home playing.

So the answer to your question is fairly simple: you either go with the flow or you become a man who is confused and not very happy. Changing the rest of the world is not possible.

John C.

#444210 - 01/08/18 03:16 AM Re: my idea on how to stay in music [Re: shueymusic]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Johnathan I have found if the people you are playing for are 50 and up, what is needed is 60% contemporary music; and yes, old standards do still have their place.

John C.

#444211 - 01/08/18 06:37 AM Re: my idea on how to stay in music [Re: bruno123]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
For nursing homes in our area, 50’s era still work but 60’s Music is getting more popular. Folks seem to still enjoy old standards.

#444215 - 01/08/18 07:14 AM Re: my idea on how to stay in music [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
My rule of thumb has always been to perform the music that was popular when the audience was 15 to 35 years of age. Beyond age 35, most folks tend to get away from listening to music because they are spending most of their time working and taking care of their families and don't have much time to listen to music.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#444216 - 01/08/18 07:52 AM Re: my idea on how to stay in music [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

what YOU Play is one thing,...................
HOW YOU PLAY IT is another and is the KEY bottom line no matter what kind of music it is...
many players don't realize good from bad either,....some play for the $$$$, some have big egos and just think they are the best when they ain't or their friends or someone in the audience said great job just to be nice and it goes to their head, some are lazy to practice to get better or have never been exposed to people who are better and can absorb and learn from them, some think the NEWER is better gear route has to make them better, and the list goes on & on you know what I am talking about,....if your not playing much, if you not getting calls without having to chase them, then baby something is wrong with your music, or performance, etc etc ....its a hard pill to swallow but it is the truth the people will Always make or break you....that said everyone can get better if they want to buy bearing down, absorbing others, practice, listen & learn, be BETTER then everyone else in every way, give 150% every time your on stage and most of all look the audience dead in the eyes smile and enjoy, I myself am still learning so much every time I sit down to play or sing, it never ends,! hope I didn't confuse anyone,..just a few observation from 50 years of doing it on stage,.....have a nice day.

keys

#444218 - 01/08/18 08:18 AM Re: my idea on how to stay in music [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Donny
Most of what you've said is true but sometimes your limited by peoples expectations of what they want, or think they know whaat they want no matter how good you are. Older musician with a keyboard is just not in their heads in a lot of situations. Even if your female which opens a lot more doors, and I'm talking from first hand experience.

#444219 - 01/08/18 08:34 AM Re: my idea on how to stay in music [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Right on point, Bill ... we are not the Beatles or the Stones ... Unfortunately, at some point AGE does matter ... that's why at this stage in our careers we have to stick with the venues we fit in with ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online