Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#440686 - 11/10/17 03:26 PM Re: Yamaha Genos demo - very good :) [Re: Chevy]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Folks,
I own a Ketron SD7 and a Yamaha Genos. The Genos in now way has the
sound of a real live band like my SD7 does. Sorry, but that is the fact. Does the Genos sound full and nice - yes. Are the new Revo drums equal to my Ketron SD7 - not even close folks.

Deane

#440692 - 11/10/17 06:27 PM Re: Yamaha Genos demo - very good :) [Re: Chevy]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
For me, a “live” sound depends on perspective. Are you the keyboard player in this band and the mix is from your perspective? Are you in a bar and listening to a live band in the room? Are you the audience member in a big performance venue where the band is being processed and mix to sound like your original recording?

Right now, REVO drums could be a great upgrade to my creative process when I am programming my own tracks. Something new is always better to my ears. And then the sounds burn into my ears/brain. If Genos will offer new kits as expansion sounds in the future using wave cycling, then I could take advantage of the other 128 notes of polyphony.

Still need to hear one!!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#440693 - 11/10/17 06:37 PM Re: Yamaha Genos demo - very good :) [Re: Chevy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
My 2 pennies worth. Seems to be lots of stones cast at the Genos I’m really not sure why. Yes there are kudos for it too, but for whatever reason I sense lots of negativity toward Genos, it puzzles me because very few have had the opportunity to play one. Yea I had an Sd7 too, sure it had great sound but I never liked it as a go to keyboard, I found it a bit archaic to navigate. Both Korg Songbook and Yamah registrations I find easier to use at gigs.

I’m with Mr. Shuey “still need to play one,” have had too much on my plate to get to Frankieve’s store, with any luck maybe this week I’ll get there.

Edited by Stephenm52 (11/10/17 06:38 PM)
Edit Reason: Spelling correction

#440696 - 11/10/17 06:44 PM Re: Yamaha Genos demo - very good :) [Re: Chevy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
On the PSR Tutorial. smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#440780 - 11/11/17 05:07 PM Re: Yamaha Genos demo - very good :) [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By travlin'easy

Loved the vocals, and from my perspective, they were crisp, clean and clear

But they were smart to bury the harmonies deep in a dark place ... Still no comparison to TC.

#440783 - 11/11/17 06:36 PM Re: Yamaha Genos demo - very good :) [Re: Chevy]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
For most of us who play out live, the Genos videos of Pichler and Richter are of particular interest, since they show someone performing live and doing vocals, as well. We can listen all day to the new electronic styles and watch all the futzing with the knobs and sliders. So what? I want to see someone playing, singing, and entertaining live, using styles of interest to me. That’s why I buy arrangers.

#440784 - 11/11/17 08:40 PM Re: Yamaha Genos demo - very good :) [Re: J. Larry]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Steve ... Slightly off topic, but did you notice the woman sitting in the front row during "If Tomorrow Never Comes" ... bears a STRONG resemblance to the lady I'm married to, no ???

On the subject of the KB, I think it sounds really nice, but I would not judge the sound based on a video ...

#440785 - 11/11/17 08:56 PM Re: Yamaha Genos demo - very good :) [Re: Chevy]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
When I first listened to Genos demos, I thought the drums and acoustic pianos were improved over the Tyros5..

I listened to many comparisons to Tyros5.

Many of the drums the Genos demoed varied, some sounded great others were bland..

The Tyros5 comparison enlightened me to what was going on,,

Yamaha cut the presence from low mids and lower.. over compressed the drums... When identical sounds were compared you can tell easily they messed with the sounds.. They are not better than Tyros5..

If you ,listen close to SudClaviers comparison you will notice the Tyros5 will distort once in a while... they chopped the bottom of the Genos to avoid this..
The result the Genos lacks "punch" needed for a "live " sound..

Sometimes the demo sounds like they have a blanket over the speaker.. Genos lost clarity compared to the Tyros5 on identical sounds and rhythms.

Like others mentioned we have to wait to play a Genos before any final opinions can be verified..

#440797 - 11/12/17 06:08 AM Re: Yamaha Genos demo - very good :) [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Steve ... Slightly off topic, but did you notice the woman sitting in the front row during "If Tomorrow Never Comes" ... bears a STRONG resemblance to the lady I'm married to, no ???

On the subject of the KB, I think it sounds really nice, but I would not judge the sound based on a video ...

Tony, I did notice the resemblence and with the cup all I could think of was having a cup of Espresso at your home. smile

#440824 - 11/12/17 06:44 PM Re: Yamaha Genos demo - very good :) [Re: Chevy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tony, I thought that was Lydia checking out your next, new keyboard. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online