SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#43878 - 09/04/04 01:39 PM Home recording on PC
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I have made a few CD's on my Yamaha keyboard. A friend of mine heard the CD's and he would like to do the same thing on his KN6000. He would also like to sing through the keyboard while recording. I would like to set him up to do this. Can anyone tell me the procedure/which outputs/ cables etc for hooking up the KN6000 to the computer?

Thank You

Jerry

#43879 - 09/04/04 04:13 PM Re: Home recording on PC
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
Jerry....This is a great question! Wish I knew the answer as I have an interest also....Have both the KN6000 & the 7000....will be watching closely for the responses to your post!!!!

#43880 - 09/04/04 06:29 PM Re: Home recording on PC
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Well here goes...

1. Record, and save your recorded songs on your keyboard or organ.

2. You should have recieved an Audio Recorder with your KN7000. If not there are many computer recorders and converters that are available for free all over the Internet. I use Acoustica http://www.acoustica.com/?src=imix_about
Acoustica has the ability to voice over your performance. About $20. It is worth $20.

3. Hook up your keyboard/organ to your computer, preferably via USB, or you can use cable out from the keyboard to sound in on your computer. (I'm not sure if the 6000 has a USB)

4. Have your keyboard ready to play and your computer software ready to record. Hit record on the computer software, and play on the keyboard or organ.

5. If you intend on burning a CD save the song as a wave file. If you want to keep the song on file on your computer, save the song as a MP3, wma, or some other compressed format.

A wave file is the original sound that you recorded. Nothing is lost in burning a CD with the original wave file. If you save to an MP3, WMA, etc you will lose some quality in compression. Thus it is better to burn a CD using the original sound (wave). However wave files are huge, and should be converted to a smaller MP3 or wma after burning your CD

You can either sing/record live while the keyboard is playing/recording live, or with some software (like Acoustica) You can sing (voice over) after recording the instrumental on your keyboard.

So, if you have the 7000, you should have the audio recorder software. That makes it easy. I don't believe the 6000 came with recording software for the 6000. You'll have to find your own recording device. Windows has a built in recorder. Not very good however.

Of course you need a CD Burner on your computer along with CD Burning software.
You can then "burn" your recored wave files to a CD.

Soon we can post your Technic songs on Technics For All www.technicsforall.com

Hope this helps a little
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#43881 - 09/05/04 02:18 AM Re: Home recording on PC
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Thanks for the info. It sounds very similar to the Yamaha. I use Sound Forge for recrding. I found and downloaded the KN6000 manual from the internet, and learned how to set the mic up. Since the 6000 has no USB I will use the line outs to the soundcard.

Thanks again

Jerry

#43882 - 09/05/04 10:48 AM Re: Home recording on PC
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
LARRY....Thanks so much for all the great information...it is all very much appreciated!

#43883 - 09/09/04 12:54 PM Re: Home recording on PC
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have not got a KN6000.But this is what I used to do on my KN2000.No reason why it should not work with the KN6000.I used a Mini Disk recorder I set up a mic and sang and played.I used the line out connections to record to the Mini Disk Recorder,so it picked up both voice and instrument in stereo. It is hard to overload when recording to a Mini Disk Recorder so I got very good quality.I then Burned the MIni Disk to CD.----- Because the KN2000 did not have a mic input I used an alesis Microverb,this gave me lots of gain to increase Mic volume to the Mini Disk Recorder
Sincerely.
Joe Baron

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online