SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#43752 - 05/29/05 06:15 PM KN6000 problems
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi all

My friend has a KN6000 with EW-65 upgrade. The operating system appears to have suffered some sort of corruption. It started with "garbage" being displayed instead of the "Please Wait" message when data is being loaded from a disk. Also it would not return to the main screen automatically. Hitting the exit button would return it to the main screen. Attempting to access the menu to reset the return to main screen timeout caused everything to lock up. Switching off the keyboard restored functionality except for the above mentioned problems. Initialising the keyboard either through the menu or at switch on made no difference. Gradually more functionality was lost with more lock ups and also menu selections accessing wrong parameters. Two attempts by a local and generally reputable service organisation failed to locate the cause of the problem. I ran the diagnostics as per the KN6000 service manual and everything was reported as OK. I then re-installed the operating system (actually upgraded from 7.0 to 7.1) 7.1 has been operating faultlessly in my former KN6000/EW-65 since I installed it soon after its release. Everything functioned normally for a few days and then the problems started to re-appear. My next thought is that the flash ROM itself is faulty, but the diagnostics show it as OK.
The "garbage" displayed on the screen has varied. At one stage it was a series of squares. Other times it looks like a random selection of non-English characters and occasionally it has displayed messages apparently correctly, but in German. In this instance changing the language and then resetting to English cured some problems but not permanently.
Any ideas?

Cheers
Len C.

[This message has been edited by manorcourt1991 (edited 05-29-2005).]

#43753 - 05/29/05 11:59 PM Re: KN6000 problems
Peter Lowden Offline

Loc: England
Hi Len,

Sounds similar to the problems I kept getting with my KN6000 I never did find out why it would crash / fail to boot up or re-initialise, normally about once a month.
Is this the first time you've had problems since owning the instrument?

Good luck Len with getting it sorted

Kind regards

Peter

#43754 - 05/30/05 06:45 AM Re: KN6000 problems
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
Have you tried taking out the EW 65 board to see if that makes a difference?

Good luck.

Larry Gosmeyer

#43755 - 05/30/05 03:50 PM Re: KN6000 problems
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Larry,

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately we had tried that one without success.

Cheers
Len C.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online