SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#435305 - 07/31/17 06:06 AM Music party with some teenagers-surprising results
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I shared a similar story on another forum; thought it might be of interest here too, since we sometimes take about music 'over the years', and younger people vs. many of us who are older, etc. etc.

I'm 58, have been playing Arranger keyboards for ~20-something years. One thing I notice, as I visit with friends and their families, etc., is that many people "our age" (i.e. people of ages like 50s to 70s+) brought their kids up on "classic rock" and "oldies" that Mom and Dad liked. So I know a lot of kids, from teenagers to young adults in their 20s and 30s, who LOVE classic rock, and music from 1950s-1980s, etc. - because of their parents.

I had a music party at my house not long ago; a close friend brought his daughter (Age ~16) and she had her boyfriend with her (Age ~17) - and the first song they wanted me to play (so they could sing it) was "Fly Me To The Moon"! (I have a video of it, maybe I can post is someday). Then they had me play dozens of songs from the 1950s-1980s, they sang along to all of them (I put the lyrics up on an HD TV connected to my iPad, for them to see 'em). Another friend (of that family) who came by that same night, was a "wiz" guitar player (VERY good), about 18 years old. He was ripping through song after song (I played arranger so I was sort of "the band", he played guitar over it) of classic rock songs mostly from 1960s-1980s. And he asked for a few "Sinatra songs" as he called them!

So there are at least *some* very young folks who still love (and play or sing) the songs from say ~30-60+ years ago! Although I also know/play a lot of songs from much earlier (say about 1920s-1940s), not so many of those were requested that night (a few were though).

Just thought I'd share this little story ... we had a blast; me at 58, playing music for/with some teenagers ... (and their parents) ... as a side note, they were also amazed at what an arranger keyboard (and player) can do (they didn't even know such keyboards exist until they saw/heard me playing my Tyros5) ...

Jim

Edited by jimlaing (07/31/17 06:08 AM)

#435308 - 07/31/17 06:30 AM Re: Music party with some teenagers-surprising results [Re: jimlaing]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Very interesting revelation.

#435311 - 07/31/17 06:41 AM Re: Music party with some teenagers-surprising results [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Are you sure they weren't requesting that genre because they knew you were 58? smile .....yes many younger people including my kids know many of the older generation songs because they grew up listening to them in the house and watching so many gigs, etc,....but let's be honest it's certainly NOT the "norm for them" at all,...and why should it be? All of us have our time growing up in life and music We enjoy,...it's nice to reminisce and I'm glad you had a great time at the party sounds like fun,...Thanx for sharing.

#435312 - 07/31/17 06:53 AM Re: Music party with some teenagers-surprising results [Re: jimlaing]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have younger people come into the restaurant and request older songs...standards, Elvis, country, etc., a lot of times it's what their parents listen to and they like it too.

#435313 - 07/31/17 07:17 AM Re: Music party with some teenagers-surprising results [Re: jimlaing]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
"All of us have our time"

And I don't hear no fat lady singing. I am always glad to hear that younger people enjoy our music, however many, because I sure don't enjoy most of their's.

#435315 - 07/31/17 07:29 AM Re: Music party with some teenagers-surprising results [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
I have younger people come into the restaurant and request older songs...standards, Elvis, country, etc., a lot of times it's what their parents listen to and they like it too.

Definately true..

Many young people still appreciate good music, same as i can appreciate some trance or EDM at the right moment..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#435316 - 07/31/17 08:06 AM Re: Music party with some teenagers-surprising results [Re: jimlaing]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Yeah, the 'kids' probably did realized that there were "fifty-somethings" in the room :-) (me, and their parents). But it was still a fun party / experience ...

Come to think of it, even thought I grew up in the 1960s and 1970s, I have always (even since a kid) liked the music from the earlier half of the 20th century. I think it was my organ-teacher's influence there, more than my parents. So, I learned and play hundreds of songs from the ~1920s-1940s, (and some classical from way before), then picked up hundreds more to play that are from 1950s-1980s, which were more "my generation". From 1990s forward, there are far fewer for me, but there are some from 1990s-2010s that I do like and listen to and play ... but like many people I guess, I "gravitate" toward what I liked when I was younger, which for me is predominantly 1920-1980s ...

Fun stuff ...

Jim

#435317 - 07/31/17 08:13 AM Re: Music party with some teenagers-surprising results [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

Who cares when the song was made...if you take it and make it your own it suddenly becomes "NEW" again its all up to the player that is what makes it fun to be a musician your the creator, so open your mind, & make the songs you play enjoyable for what ever age group you perform in front of.......have fun!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online