I shared a similar story on another forum; thought it might be of interest here too, since we sometimes take about music 'over the years', and younger people vs. many of us who are older, etc. etc.

I'm 58, have been playing Arranger keyboards for ~20-something years. One thing I notice, as I visit with friends and their families, etc., is that many people "our age" (i.e. people of ages like 50s to 70s+) brought their kids up on "classic rock" and "oldies" that Mom and Dad liked. So I know a lot of kids, from teenagers to young adults in their 20s and 30s, who LOVE classic rock, and music from 1950s-1980s, etc. - because of their parents.

I had a music party at my house not long ago; a close friend brought his daughter (Age ~16) and she had her boyfriend with her (Age ~17) - and the first song they wanted me to play (so they could sing it) was "Fly Me To The Moon"! (I have a video of it, maybe I can post is someday). Then they had me play dozens of songs from the 1950s-1980s, they sang along to all of them (I put the lyrics up on an HD TV connected to my iPad, for them to see 'em). Another friend (of that family) who came by that same night, was a "wiz" guitar player (VERY good), about 18 years old. He was ripping through song after song (I played arranger so I was sort of "the band", he played guitar over it) of classic rock songs mostly from 1960s-1980s. And he asked for a few "Sinatra songs" as he called them!

So there are at least *some* very young folks who still love (and play or sing) the songs from say ~30-60+ years ago! Although I also know/play a lot of songs from much earlier (say about 1920s-1940s), not so many of those were requested that night (a few were though).

Just thought I'd share this little story ... we had a blast; me at 58, playing music for/with some teenagers ... (and their parents) ... as a side note, they were also amazed at what an arranger keyboard (and player) can do (they didn't even know such keyboards exist until they saw/heard me playing my Tyros5) ...

Jim

Edited by jimlaing (07/31/17 06:08 AM)