SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#431548 - 05/09/17 08:55 AM Tyros 2/Ketron sd2 midi communication
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I play a T2 , and sometimes use a midi accordion with a ketron sd2 . If I run a midi out/thru from the sd2 to the tyros, it generates incorrect chords (7th instead of major) using accordion left hand buttons. I have the midi transmit and receive channels set correctly (it works with sd2), but it won't work properly thru T2. I need to generate chord changes and rhythms from the left hand of the accordion in order to use keyboard as a sound module for accordion. Is there a patch to be loaded, or a control change or a sysex command I am missing?

#431549 - 05/09/17 08:57 AM Re: Tyros 2/Ketron sd2 midi communication [Re: sparky589]
sparky589 Offline

I've had no luck with psr tutorial forum..I need a midi junkie here..

#431552 - 05/09/17 09:51 AM Re: Tyros 2/Ketron sd2 midi communication [Re: sparky589]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ssparky, I don't think you have a midi problem.
I think it is a chord recognition problem on the Tyros.
Check to see the mode on the Tyros, could it be a one finger recognition, or piano style?
Go thru your choices till you get a match to the Ketron.

The above is if you are using the arranger features of the Tyros.
If you are using the Tyros sound only, make sure you turn off the arranger receive channel on he Tyros.

#431681 - 05/13/17 10:07 AM Re: Tyros 2/Ketron sd2 midi communication [Re: sparky589]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
IMO your issues have nothing to do with the SD2, but to eliminate that as a cause, I would try connecting MIDI from accordion directly to Tyros 2.

What Fran said, I would make sure the Tyros is set to "Fingered" mode, or possibly "Fingered on Bass." Your split point has to be set correctly to include the octave(s) of the accordion's chord buttons. Unfortunately you probably cannot change the inversions of the chords as they come out of the accordion. As I recall, on Stradella bass, many of the chords don't use the root at lowest position, because the accordion has separate bass buttons.
Another gotcha...some accordions output the bass and counterbass on a different channel.
I KNOW the Tyros's can be programmed to recognize bass and chords via separate MIDI receive channels. It's just a matter of getting everything on the correct channel. Unfortunately I can't give you step-by-step instructions, but Keep trying. Find a local musician who's knowledgeable about MIDI and they might help you.

Edited by TedS (05/13/17 10:12 AM)

#432479 - 05/29/17 07:22 AM Re: Tyros 2/Ketron sd2 midi communication [Re: sparky589]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By sparky589
I play a T2 , and sometimes use a midi accordion with a ketron sd2 . If I run a midi out/thru from the sd2 to the tyros, it generates incorrect chords (7th instead of major) using accordion left hand buttons. I have the midi transmit and receive channels set correctly (it works with sd2), but it won't work properly thru T2. I need to generate chord changes and rhythms from the left hand of the accordion in order to use keyboard as a sound module for accordion. Is there a patch to be loaded, or a control change or a sysex command I am missing?

Hi Sparky589
I own a Tyros 5, but the MIDI templates on the Tyros 2 are similar. There should be two MIDI templates to choose from on Tyros 2. If you don't have the Tyros 2 detailed pdf Owners Manual, download from the link below (Yamaha Tyros 2 Support download page) and check out page 214, and read through that section.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/produc...oduct_id=107861

My understanding while looking at the Tyros Accordion MIDI templates is, a standard MIDI accordion would be transmitting two separate MIDI channels. It appears to be channel 2 for the keys and channel 3 for the bass.

So in your setup, I would still run MIDI in into your Ketron, but connect MIDI thru (Ketron) to Port 2 (MIDI B) on your Tyros 2. If your MIDI accordion is transmitting channels 2 and 3, try the MIDI Accord2 template. Press EDIT to check out the settings and modify (save) as required.

So basically, the template shows MIDI B receive CH2 set to Style Chord 1 and CH3 set to Style Bass. On the BASS tab, On Bass Note is checked on for channel 3 from Port 2 (MIDI B). On the Chord Detect tab, it shows MIDI channel 2, but for some reason set to Port 1 (MIDI A).

I am sure if you try these two templates and experiment with the EDIT settings, your accordion should work properly. I wish I had more experience with MIDI accordions, but I hope this info helps.

Marcus

#432973 - 06/15/17 01:27 PM Re: Tyros 2/Ketron sd2 midi communication [Re: Marcus]
sparky589 Offline

I've tried many different setups within the profiles. I'm going to look at the root note for chord setup. That may be key..

#435784 - 08/09/17 11:05 AM Re: Tyros 2/Ketron sd2 midi communication [Re: sparky589]
sparky589 Offline

Looks like Fran was on the right track. Had to set the tyros2 left hand chord configuration to "multi fingered".

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online