SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#429301 - 02/25/17 07:22 PM Re: My new Digital Music Reader [Re: Jerryghr]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I know you can have set lists using Mobile Sheets, but what about if you want something on the fly?

I got spoiled with using a laptop on it's side and could quite rapidly pick on the fly. It seems that it would be more on the slower side with android??

#429302 - 02/25/17 07:36 PM Re: My new Digital Music Reader [Re: Scott Langholff]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Scott,

Attached is a copy of "All the Way" in portrait and landscape vs the original 8 1/2 X 11" fake sheet.

Attachments
0225172225b.jpg

0225172225.jpg

#429304 - 02/25/17 08:02 PM Re: My new Digital Music Reader [Re: Scott Langholff]
Jerryghr Offline

Originally Posted By Scott Langholff
I know you can have set lists using Mobile Sheets, but what about if you want something on the fly?

I got spoiled with using a laptop on it's side and could quite rapidly pick on the fly. It seems that it would be more on the slower side with android??

Scott,

All songs are listed alphabetically. Select the letter A, B, C etc. Select the song. The chart pops up instantaneously. No waiting.
A quick vid.

https://youtu.be/a7zrFpo-vMk

Jerry

#429306 - 02/25/17 10:12 PM Re: My new Digital Music Reader [Re: Jerryghr]
Scott Langholff Offline

Jerry, thanx for going through all the trouble. I suppose one still has to carry a hard copy in case of malfunction or if outside in sun?

I read a review and it says for sheet music anyway the battery lasted 8 hours.

I am thinking of starting this project using MobileSheets on my 10.1 inch, saving evrything on an SD card and I would hope if I got the 12 or 13 inch that I could just stick the SD card into the larger one and it would be all set to go. Do you know if that would be true?

One, other thing. It seems originally to use the accompanying computer app you had to use Bluetooth to get it on the tablet. I do not have Bluetooth on my computer. I was hoping I could use a USB cable or something to do this. Do you know about this?

And/or can I just do all the work on the tablet and not use the computer. Or would this be too slow to do it this way?

Scott

Edited by Scott Langholff (02/25/17 10:14 PM)

#429307 - 02/25/17 11:19 PM Re: My new Digital Music Reader [Re: Scott Langholff]
Scott Langholff Offline

Jerry, I see you say the display area is 10 x 6 1/2. I have been told the display area on a 13.3 tablet is 11 1/4 x 7. So, between the two it seems that the 1/2 inch difference would't make that much difference I wouldn't think. OTOH, my laptop, used on it's side, is 14.1 inches so it's a tad bigger than a piece of copy paper, so I am a little spoiled that way, but, one needs to use an older laptop pre-wide screen and one that folds flat which you can't find anymore. I've got two that need some kind of help, but they are from around 2002, so I reluctantly am looking to the future with a tablet. I have to admit the Apple Pro is very nice, but then again starting at $800 is it worth it?

#429311 - 02/26/17 04:15 AM Re: My new Digital Music Reader [Re: Jerryghr]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Scott,

Just something to think about, it's still pricey but an refurbished iPad Pro 12 inch can be purchased from the Apple site for $679.

Refurbished iPad Pro

For songs on the fly with my iPad, it's instantaneous too, using the search function start typing a song title and the results are displayed. For instance for the tune All of Me, start typing "All" and you'll not only see All of Me but other tunes that have the word All in it, works very well.

P.S. I'm not trying to sell you on an iPad pro smile At $227 I just may order the Pro12.

Edited by Stephenm52 (02/26/17 04:18 AM)

#429312 - 02/26/17 04:59 AM Re: My new Digital Music Reader [Re: Stephenm52]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Stephenm52
Scott,

Just something to think about, it's still pricey but an refurbished iPad Pro 12 inch can be purchased from the Apple site for $679.

Refurbished iPad Pro

For songs on the fly with my iPad, it's instantaneous too, using the search function start typing a song title and the results are displayed. For instance for the tune All of Me, start typing "All" and you'll not only see All of Me but other tunes that have the word All in it, works very well.

P.S. I'm not trying to sell you on an iPad pro smile At $227 I just may order the Pro12.

If you are only going to use it as a stand alone music reader, i dont see any reason to go for the ipad... The android tablet will do just as well...

Dont know how far android midi got, just wondering if you can controll the reaser on Android under midi, just like i do on the ipad?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#429314 - 02/26/17 06:39 AM Re: My new Digital Music Reader [Re: Bachus]
Jerryghr Offline

I am using the Android as a backup to my 19" Dell All-in One (Windows 10) just case of a problem with the Dell. I have purchased and used Mobilesheets Windows version also.

I use M Bedesem's Open Text to view my sheets on the computer. I select a registration on the keyboard, and the chart pops up on the Dell screen.

You can link your Tyros to Mobilesheets according to these instructions on the Mobilesheets forum.

[/i]Now first let me say that I am by no means a MIDI expert (started learning MIDIwhile in the MS Pro beta program), nor a Tyros expert (have had mine for 6 weeks). So there may be other (better?) ways to do this.
But this setup works for me.

How to load Tyros Registration from music sheet in MS Pro.

Selecting a song in Mobilesheets and have Tyros automatically load the related registration is actually not so difficult to accomplish using the MIDI capabilites of MS Pro and Tyros.

First some background information

An issue to overcome is that, while Tyros stores registrations as named files in folders on its internal drive,  MIDI is only able to send out numbers between 1 and 128, not filenames.
The solution here is to have Tyros, from the folder it is currently using for it's registrations,  load the registration file with a sequence number, based on the received MIDI number. So sending x from MS Pro, should mean that the x'th registration file in the Tyros folder is loaded. But there are a few small catches (read on)
A first catch is that not all MIDI systems are equal. Some are zero based (use numbers from 0=>127) others are 1 based (use numbers from 1=>128). When having the two communicate, you have to take that into account.
In practice here, it means that sending number x from MS Pro will actually cause the 'x + 1' 'th registration file in the Tyros folder to be loaded. So sending a 3 from MS Pro, will cause Tyros to load the 4th file in the folder. Sending a 0 will load the first file in the folder.
A second catch, is that when I am talking about the 4th file in  the folder, it means the 4th file, sorted alphabetically. So in order to preserve correct order we need to have the registration file names on Tyros start by a number. This will assure that the correct file is always loaded using MIDI.
Example for registration file naming on Tyros.
            000Song x
            001Song y
            002Songz
Starting the file name numbering with zero, will make it a little easier to remember what number to configure in MS Pro. So sending 0 will load file one, which is named 000Songx. Sending a 2 will load file 3 which is named 002Songz.. . .

Now in practice :

In Mobilesheets Pro
One time setup:
- In settings, choose MIDI channel 1 to use in the communication. (It's MS Pro's default, so normally you would not even need to change it)
To be performed for every song you want the registration to load on Tyros:
- In the song settings (edit screen/MIDI tab), add a 'Patch select' with following parameters
            - MSB : I do not use it
            - LSB : The number x to be sent to Tyros. Remember file x+1 will be loaded.
            - PC (Program Change): Can be used to activate a registration memory button on Tyros. 0 will activate button 1. sending 7 will activate
               button 8
            - Choose "Send on Load"
            Save the song settings.

On Tyros
One time setup:
-On Tyros there is a predefinied MIDI setting which can be used.
So go to MIDI settings on Tyros, and select the predefined setting 'All Parts'.
This predefined setting is set to receive the commands we need on MIDI port B, so you will need to connect your (USB to) MIDI cable to MIDI B on the Tyros and of course also to your tablet.
To be performed for every song you want the registration to be loaded by MS Pro:
- Save your registration on Tyros according to the above suggestions, and make sure they are in a Folder on Tyros, where all registration files start with the suggested sequence number.

To test the setup.
- Make sure the MIDI cable is connected to both tablet and Tyros.
- Load MS Pro.
When the midi cable is correctly connected, you should receive a message when loading MS Pro, asking if you want MS Pro to use the USB connection. Press OK.
If you do not get this message, the cable is probably not connected as it should.

Now make sure that Tyros currently has a registration loaded from the folder from which you want to load registrations through MIDI. If not, on Tyros go to the correct folder, load any registration there (does not matter which - it is just to point Tyros to the right folder).

Now load a song in MSPro, and the related registration should be loaded on Tyros. Even with the correct button activated.[i]

Android, Ipad, Windows they all work, and becoming more affordable. You just have to make a choice on your preference and budget. Make a decision and implement it, and you will say "what took you so long." to get up to date with the technology.

Attached is a video of Open Text posted by someone on YouTube.

Edited by Jerryghr (02/26/17 07:39 AM)

#429315 - 02/26/17 07:50 AM Re: My new Digital Music Reader [Re: Scott Langholff]
Jerryghr Offline

I suppose one still has to carry a hard copy in case of malfunction or if outside in sun?

Scott

But you don't have to use cloths pins to prevent it from blowing off the stand in the wind outside. laugh

#429320 - 02/26/17 08:20 AM Re: My new Digital Music Reader [Re: Scott Langholff]
Jerryghr Offline

Jerry, I see you say the display area is 10 x 6 1/2. I have been told the display area on a 13.3 tablet is 11 1/4 x 7. So, between the two it seems that the 1/2 inch difference would't make that much difference I wouldn't think. OTOH, my laptop, used on it's side, is 14.1 inches so it's a tad bigger than a piece of copy paper, so I am a little spoiled that way, but, one needs to use an older laptop pre-wide screen and one that folds flat which you can't find anymore. I've got two that need some kind of help, but they are from around 2002, so I reluctantly am looking to the future with a tablet. I have to admit the Apple Pro is very nice, but then again starting at $800 is it worth it?

Scott,

Another option for you.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiro...p?skuId=4826900

Jerry

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online