SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#428958 - 02/15/17 09:49 AM Wireless mic problem ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Last Sunday, playing a gig with my guitar buddy in New Jersey, he had a problem with his wireless mic which he has been using for a few years ... he had it plugged into his Fishman amp, which he has done before, but the sound was all 'buzzy' and not clear at all ... he tried new batteries, different channels, etc. etc. but nothing worked ... he used another mic with a wire plugged into the same amp channel he was using for the wireless and it sounded fine ...
This was at a fairly new high end independent living venue where we have played a few times before and one other time he had a similar problem ... could it be that they have something there that is interfering with the signal for his wireless mic?
Thank you

Edited by tony mads usa (02/15/17 09:50 AM)

#428962 - 02/15/17 11:00 AM Re: Wireless mic problem ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi Tony , I played a gig a few years ago at a high end Care home and when the wireless mic and receiver were switched on ,what came thro my speaker system was the bbc radio 2 broadcast ...we did the gig with the old fashion mic and cable set up . at the end of the gig I saw the manager and explained the situation .he said all I had to do was turn off the hearing aid loop !! played there many times since and never had any more problems .......hope this is of help ........Ciao Giovanni

#428963 - 02/15/17 11:05 AM Re: Wireless mic problem ... [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yes, it is possible that there was interference from an outside source, especially if the wireless system is 10 years or older. Many of the older systems worked on VHF frequencies, which is the same frequencies that fast food restaurants, wireless intercom systems and some hand held walkie talkies used. Some of those systems had a permanent keyed mode so the person on the other end could listen constantly, but could not respond.

The newer systems are usually on UHF channels and don't usually have those problems. I would recommend that he connect the system up at home, and be sure to include all other instruments that are usually connected to his PA, and see if the problem recurs. If it does, the next step is to disconnect the individual components one at a time and see if the problem goes away. It not, it's time for a new wireless system.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#428969 - 02/15/17 12:32 PM Re: Wireless mic problem ... [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Giovanni
Hi Tony , I played a gig a few years ago at a high end Care home and when the wireless mic and receiver were switched on ,what came thro my speaker system was the bbc radio 2 broadcast ...we did the gig with the old fashion mic and cable set up . at the end of the gig I saw the manager and explained the situation .he said all I had to do was turn off the hearing aid loop !! played there many times since and never had any more problems .......hope this is of help ........Ciao Giovanni

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Yes, it is possible that there was interference from an outside source, especially if the wireless system is 10 years or older. Many of the older systems worked on VHF frequencies, which is the same frequencies that fast food restaurants, wireless intercom systems and some hand held walkie talkies used. Some of those systems had a permanent keyed mode so the person on the other end could listen constantly, but could not respond.

The newer systems are usually on UHF channels and don't usually have those problems. I would recommend that he connect the system up at home, and be sure to include all other instruments that are usually connected to his PA, and see if the problem recurs. If it does, the next step is to disconnect the individual components one at a time and see if the problem goes away. It not, it's time for a new wireless system.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

Thanks guys ...
Giovanni ... where was the 'hearing aid loop' ?

Gary, maybe the system is more than 10 years old, I am not sure. Perhaps that is it.
The thing is, we have played together many times and he has used this same set-up in different locations and has never had a problem, so it wouldn't seem like the problem is in his equipment, ... except if there is some outside interference ...
I will pass the info along to him ...
Thanks again ...

Edited by tony mads usa (02/15/17 12:35 PM)

#428970 - 02/15/17 02:21 PM Re: Wireless mic problem ... [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tony, many years ago, when I was an announcer for the nation's largest fishing expo, we had to change out the crystals on our wireless PA system because it was on the same frequency and the McDonald's that was just a few hundred feet away from the Maryland State Fairgrounds where the show took place. I came in early to set up the wireless systems for the pro bass anglers who would be providing seminars for massive audiences during the four day event. I fired up the systems, checked them out for sound quality and projection, and someone came on the sound system and clearly said "Do you want fries with that? And, we don't have anything on the menu that is a Check Check Check." I immediately called the fairgrounds management and they had a tech come out and change out all the wireless sound system crystals which solved the problem.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#428971 - 02/15/17 02:35 PM Re: Wireless mic problem ... [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Thanks, Gary

#428973 - 02/15/17 02:57 PM Re: Wireless mic problem ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Many years ago, I performed at a C.C. with my first wireless mic in a small side dining room that was replete with mirrors on the walls, and the pillars in the room. As I moved about the room, the output was horrible. Apparently the transmitter signals somehow reflected off the mirrors and interfered with itself.

#428978 - 02/15/17 07:04 PM Re: Wireless mic problem ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Phones, too.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online