SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#428840 - 02/12/17 12:11 PM Valentine's Day Gigs?!?
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
My duo, The Shueys, played last night for a Valentine's Day dinner. It was a 45 minute show and the first gig (besides church) on the Korg Pa4X.

https://www.facebook.com/theshueys/photo...e=3&theater

Everything went well and I learned a few things...

1.) Don't hit transpose in the middle of a song playing from the MP3 player!
--- There must be a way to unlink the transposer and the MP3s.
2.) Stereo is always better for me!!
--- Two Yamaha DXR10 speakers5 feet behind you sounds WONDERFUL!!
3.) My wife is a great singer!! I am fighting off a cough and lost the top of my range. She didn't skip a beat and covered for me beautifully!!

It is great doing gigs with your Valentine!

Next gig at 1PM on Tuesday... 85 seniors for a Valentine's Day lunch! Solo gig... so, hope my voice gets better!!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#428859 - 02/12/17 07:06 PM Re: Valentine's Day Gigs?!? [Re: shueymusic]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By shueymusic
1.) Don't hit transpose in the middle of a song playing from the MP3 player!
--- There must be a way to unlink the transposer and the MP3s.

J - hold "shift" & "transpose" and you'll see a screen that lets you transpose the keys, the player, or both.
smile

#428860 - 02/12/17 07:25 PM Re: Valentine's Day Gigs?!? [Re: shueymusic]
shueymusic Offline

Thank you so much!! I knew you could do it but this short cut is great!!! Thanks for saving me some time, Uncle Dave!!!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#428879 - 02/13/17 09:29 AM Re: Valentine's Day Gigs?!? [Re: shueymusic]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Regular country club gig. 9 years now. Most requested song? How Do You Keep The Music Playing?.

Just listen to John Mathis (he does not like to be called Johnny)
do it live and wanted to quit playing. Best live vocal I've ever heard.

R.

Edited by captain Russ (02/13/17 09:30 AM)

#428912 - 02/14/17 07:03 AM Re: Valentine's Day Gigs?!? [Re: shueymusic]
shueymusic Offline

Getting my setlist together for a 1 PM show for 85 seniors at a Valentine's Day lunch.

Here's my schedule...
~ Pre School Drop off and Valentines for my 4 year old
~ Setlist... Load Van
~ Pre School Pick up
~ Lunch on the run
~ Drop off son at the sitter
~ Drive 17 minutes to the gig
~ Set up while they eat
~ Sing and play from 1PM to 1:45PM
~ Teardown and load van
~ Drive 35 minutes to a high school musical rehearsal
~ Rehearse musical to 7PM
~ Drive 30 minutes home
~ Unload van
~ See my Valentine an hour before bedtime

What a day!!

#428913 - 02/14/17 07:38 AM Re: Valentine's Day Gigs?!? [Re: shueymusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Same old thing. I'll be at Ernest's, playing for "amateur night", starting about six p.m. It's sort of like all the people that only go to church at Christmas and Easter. Oh well, at least most of them haven't heard all my "stuff". I can do everything from memory if I want. It actually started Saturday night--wall-to-wall people for five hours.
The place is WAY overbooked, so people will be waiting for tables and for their food. My job is to distract them enough so that they don't get mad!
This will be approximately 20 Valentine nights there, over 29 years. I'm very grateful to have one of the few remaining full-time music jobs in the area, even though I have cut back to three nights most weeks. Looks as if it will go on for a while, as business is great this year--way up from the past few years. The healthy stock market and economy is very important to high-end venues. Lots of celebrations, and that's what drives this particular restaurant.
Feeling blessed--good job, great wife, health o.k., nice weather for golf and fishing. Kids have good lives and have never been to jail. smile

#428914 - 02/14/17 08:11 AM Re: Valentine's Day Gigs?!? [Re: shueymusic]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Valentines Day and Thanksgiving rolled into one

#428915 - 02/14/17 08:12 AM Re: Valentine's Day Gigs?!? [Re: Bernie9]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By Bernie9
Valentines Day and Thanksgiving rolled into one

Yes! smile

#428950 - 02/15/17 08:34 AM Re: Valentine's Day Gigs?!? [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By DonM
Same old thing. I'll be at Ernest's, playing for "amateur night", starting about six p.m. It's sort of like all the people that only go to church at Christmas and Easter.

Three 'amateur nights' each year - Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, and New Year's Eve ... wink

Originally Posted By DonM

Feeling blessed--good job, great wife, health o.k., nice weather for golf and fishing. Kids have good lives and have never been to jail. smile

Lots to be thankful for ...

#428951 - 02/15/17 08:48 AM Re: Valentine's Day Gigs?!? [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Busy Valentine's weekend ... had to cancel out of Friday afternoon gig with female vocalist (she was very understanding) due to a bad cold and a big dance gig on Friday night with a sax/guitar player ... amazing how a cold can leave you for a few hours when performing ... laid low on Saturday, then drove to New Jersey on Sunday for a gig with my guitar playing friend down there ... tough trip in snow, then freezing rain ... 3 1/2 hour trip took 4 1/2 hours ... gig went well despite his having a problem with his wireless mic - more on that in another thread - ... easy drive home on Monday ... two gigs yesterday (Valentines Day) ... both went very well ...
PS: Sang a number of Dean Martin songs at the afternoon gig and when it was over a woman came up and said "I really enjoyed the Dean Martin songs, and your voice is better than his" ... when I just smiled and said "OK, thank you", she said "really, I've been a music director for many years, and your voice is better" ... too bad I never made his kind of money, but it's nice to be liked ... grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online