SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#428446 - 02/02/17 01:11 AM Keybed impressions.
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Arranger wise I've owned Yamaha and Korg.

I got a chance to play my old Yamaha Tyros 4 the other day. My impression was the key bed and general construction of my PA 4X is much better than my, now sold, Tyros.

Thoughts?

Did we visit about this before? confused

#428447 - 02/02/17 02:09 AM Re: Keybed impressions. [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By guitpic1

I got a chance to play my old Yamaha Tyros 4 the other day. My impression was the key bed and general construction of my PA 4X is much better than my, now sold, Tyros.

Thoughts?

When it comes to arranger keybeds, there is a huge difference between the high end models and the lower ones... both love the keybeds on the pa4x as well as my old Tyros5... both are extremely high quallity, almost as good as th roland G70...

What i like better on the pa4x then the tyros5 is the aftertouch, that just feels more naturall..

I have a hard time however liking the cheaper yamaha korg keybeds,they are to light for my personal taste, they dont feel al that durable.. worse even are the roland ea7 and espescially the casio mz-x500

I think where the pa4x scores extremely high is the rest of the buildquallity, metal instead of plastick, it feels so much more durable as a whole, but the keybed itselves was top knotch on the Tyros to. But at the same weight, the size and durabillity of the pa4x really make it the to go instrument for any gigger

Edited by Bachus (02/02/17 02:16 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#428451 - 02/02/17 05:36 AM Re: Keybed impressions. [Re: guitpic1]
Korgman5
Unregistered

The build of the Pa4X is really excellent. The body of the keyboard is slim, much smaller than the Tyros 5. The metal
frame is really nice and for me the black finish is perfect.

The keybed is as good as they make and compares with the T5
for smoothness and quietness. I wish that Yamaha would slim
their boards. The Korg Pa4X will fit a cars smaller interior,
a plus as some Tyros 5 owners had to return their 76 note boards
for a 6l note board due to the bulk of the Yammy.
Sound wise I consider the Korg excellent although I did fancy
the Tyros5 accomps. Both are great keyboards. (I owned a T-5
so I feel qualified to say what I have. Lloyd

#428452 - 02/02/17 05:37 AM Re: Keybed impressions. [Re: guitpic1]
Korgman5
Unregistered

The build of the Pa4X is really excellent. The body of the keyboard is slim, much smaller than the Tyros 5. The metal
frame is really nice and for me the black finish is perfect.

The keybed is as good as they make and compares with the T5
for smoothness and quietness. I wish that Yamaha would slim
their boards. The Korg Pa4X will fit a cars smaller interior,
a plus as some Tyros 5 owners had to return their 76 note boards
for a 6l note board due to the bulk of the Yammy.
Sound wise I consider the Korg excellent although I did fancy
the Tyros5 accomps. Both are great keyboards. (I owned a T-5
so I feel qualified to say what I have. Lloyd

#428453 - 02/02/17 05:43 AM Re: Keybed impressions. [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

every player likes a different key-feel choose whats best for you there is NO standard ....personally I love the fast lightweight S970 bed.

#428454 - 02/02/17 06:03 AM Re: Keybed impressions. [Re: Bachus]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By Bachus
Originally Posted By guitpic1

Thoughts?

When it comes to arranger keybeds, there is a huge difference between the high end models and the lower ones... both love the keybeds on the pa4x as well as my old Tyros5... both are extremely high quallity, almost as good as th roland G70...

What i like better on the pa4x then the tyros5 is the aftertouch, that just feels more naturall..

I have a hard time however liking the cheaper yamaha korg keybeds,they are to light for my personal taste, they dont feel al that durable.. worse even are the roland ea7 and espescially the casio mz-x500

I think where the pa4x scores extremely high is the rest of the buildquallity, metal instead of plastick, it feels so much more durable as a whole, but the keybed itselves was top knotch on the Tyros to. But at the same weight, the size and durabillity of the pa4x really make it the to go instrument for any gigger

Congrats Bachus on your new PA4X, Korg has done a nice job on their latest TOLT arranger board. I would feel quite at home with this high end arranger, but 90% of my custom work would only be compatible on Yamaha, plus I still enjoy the vast amount of Yamaha resources available.

I always enjoy your posts and comments...very balanced and unbiased. I totally agree, for me these higher quality keybeds are the only ones I would use and play with. Glad you fine the aftertouch control better on the Korg, but still a must have feature for ultimate sound control and adding more realism to the particular voice.

The Korg build quality certainly is there, but would look more in place on the stage, then an ugly twinset, as my two Tyros 5 complement each other setup one on top of the other. I still prefer the Tyros active buttons, with the blue/orange scheme and inactive when data is not present...very useful.

Interesting, when you view the black anniversary Tyros 4 model (see video) version, the appearances between the Tyros and the Korg are more subtle. Who knows what the next Tyros/Genos model with look like or constructed if a new platform is introduced.

Keep enjoy making music,
Marcus

Klaus 4 Tyros Wersi organ sounds for Yamaha Tyros 4/5/PSR S970/S770
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkJ4yKlsUAo

#428534 - 02/03/17 02:44 PM Re: Keybed impressions. [Re: guitpic1]
Tonewheeldude Offline

In my oppinion, with the exception of the superb and over engineered Japanese built Hammond Organ keyframes, Fatar are the best keybed manufacturers. Their semi weighted range and newer lightweight hammer action frames are extremely well made and will give years and years of trouble free professional use. I dont view the Tyros keyframe to be suitable for professionals, but people seem to like it all the same.

#428551 - 02/04/17 03:02 AM Re: Keybed impressions. [Re: guitpic1]
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I own 3 keyboards

Motif XS 6 (same FSX keybed as Tyros 2-5)
Roland G70
Yamaha PSR S970

I Have also owned a PA3X (same keybed as the PA4X... I think??)

The Keys on the G70 are awesome definitely a more natural feel than the rest. The black keys have a nice texture to them as well (doesnt feel like plastic). Not only does the keybed feel so good, it also has a fantastic dynamic range, It simply adds more realism to your playing...

Some of these attributes get overlooked sometimes for other more "glamorous" features...

#428553 - 02/04/17 03:17 AM Re: Keybed impressions. [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Tonewheeldude
In my oppinion, with the exception of the superb and over engineered Japanese built Hammond Organ keyframes, Fatar are the best keybed manufacturers. Their semi weighted range and newer lightweight hammer action frames are extremely well made and will give years and years of trouble free professional use. I dont view the Tyros keyframe to be suitable for professionals, but people seem to like it all the same.

Where it comes to organ and synth keybeds... the high end Fatar keybeds certainly are on par or slightly better than Yamahas high end FSR keybed thats both in Tyros5 as well as the Montage and Motif.. Keep in mind that Korg PA4x and Roland G70 are also using those high end fatar keybeds..

The best most hammond keybed is probably the FATAR one Crumar modded for their MOJO.

Where it comes to Piano keybeds in mobile and stage piano's, Kawai and Roland are currently leading. And even tough they made a catch up recently at Fatar with their latest weighted 3 sensor keybed, it still falls short

http://keyszone.boards.net

#428999 - 02/16/17 02:19 PM Re: Keybed impressions. [Re: guitpic1]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
I've had them all, the best keybed action was the ENSONIQ VFX-SD
PERIOD. I still have one smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online