SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#428105 - 01/23/17 01:07 PM I think my PC is psychic
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
For the past few days, my PC has been blinking and the screen keeps going black for a couple seconds, then pops back on. It was maddening just trying to read the forums. I talked with my son, who is a PC guru and makes his living as a computer programmer and he said, it sounds as if the video card is getting ready to take a dirt nap. Online sites revealed the same.

Not wishing to change operating systems from Windows 7 and having some older programs that would not run on Windows 10, I opted to find a refurbished PC at Wallyworld's online site, then just swap out the Hard Drives and I should be good to go. My PC must have sensed that things were not going to be favorable, blinked a couple times, rebooted itself and wallah, everything now works just find. The refurbished PC was less expensive than a video card and included free shipping to the local Wallyworld. Looks the old PC will be around for a while longer, but if and when it does decide to take a dump, I'll be more than ready for it.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#428109 - 01/23/17 02:18 PM Re: I think my PC is psychic [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
For the past few days, my PC has been blinking and the screen keeps going black for a couple seconds, then pops back on. It was maddening just trying to read the forums. I talked with my son, who is a PC guru and makes his living as a computer programmer and he said, it sounds as if the video card is getting ready to take a dirt nap. Online sites revealed the same.

Not wishing to change operating systems from Windows 7 and having some older programs that would not run on Windows 10, I opted to find a refurbished PC at Wallyworld's online site, then just swap out the Hard Drives and I should be good to go. My PC must have sensed that things were not going to be favorable, blinked a couple times, rebooted itself and wallah, everything now works just find. The refurbished PC was less expensive than a video card and included free shipping to the local Wallyworld. Looks the old PC will be around for a while longer, but if and when it does decide to take a dump, I'll be more than ready for it.

All the best,

Gary cool

You cant just switch out hard drives on a pc if the hardware is different.. if you do that thats just asking for problems..

Now i dont say it will not work, but chances are slight it willl work perfectly...

So if you want to swap out hard disks, find the exact same hardware..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#428114 - 01/23/17 04:47 PM Re: I think my PC is psychic [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

I purchased an identical, but refurbished PC. And, I have swapped out HDs many, many times in the 40 plus years I have been using PCs and never experienced a problem, other than having to update some of the drivers.

All the best,

Gary cool

#428122 - 01/23/17 09:38 PM Re: I think my PC is psychic [Re: travlin'easy]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
I opted to find a refurbished PC at Wallyworld's online site

Hi Gary.....it so happens that I've been looking to buy a used computer to use as a spare. One that has XP Pro as the OS. Or, at least, one with the hardware that will accept XP Pro.

I couldn't find "Wallyworld" that sells used computers online. Can you give me the exact web site address?

Or to anyone reading this.....where to go to find used computers online?

Mark

#428127 - 01/24/17 07:18 AM Re: I think my PC is psychic [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Wallyworld is what we refer to as Walmart in my part of the world.

Gary

#428143 - 01/25/17 02:41 AM Re: I think my PC is psychic [Re: travlin'easy]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have gotten two reconditioned from Ebay for a song. Desktops are dirt cheap, and some pay the freight and guarantee them.

#428151 - 01/25/17 06:45 AM Re: I think my PC is psychic [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

My backup PC should arrive today, it came with a 2 year warranty, and no shipping charge. To be picked up at Wallyworld today.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online