SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#426162 - 09/14/16 07:18 PM Aren't we lucky ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... to have such amazing instruments at our disposal ?
The quality of sounds and styles of any particular keyboard all lies in the 'ear of the beholder', but the functionality provided by today's TOTL KBs is amazing ...

Originally Posted By: Dnj
I've been taking my time setting up the Pa4x from scratch thru my Maui 5's & Senn pro 280 headphones as I want to benefit fully from all it offers,....I did however use a few custom third party styles from my Pa3x which when loaded automatically converted to 4x format and with a few minor tweaks and sound changes was able to effectively use them with no problem. Everything else is all Pa4x which is simply amazing. At times with my headphones on I really feel like I'm playing Live with a Band this unit sounds THAT GOOD!!!! And the work flow using the beautiful bright tilt up display screen is pure joy and setting up the songbook is so much easier then previous models all around all perimeters can be saved for easy acces a giging musicians dream,...it's all there you just have to utilize it. Inspiration comes so naturally and you find yourself playing songs with different styles you might not have thought of using different multi pads, fills, copying parts, singing harmonies, etc, and I'm learning more & more things as I go along every day. If your an arranger Kb player you owe it to yourself to get a KORG Pa4x its AWESOME!!! keys

Originally Posted By: Marcus

After upgrading to my Tyros 5, I pretty much don't have to rely on iPad apps as much. The change pitch, speed, and loop section features are built into Tyros 5 Audio Recorder/Player (see photo).

My basic live performance workflow is usually auto-syncing a Midi Song file, Style, and an Audio Multipad. Lyric, chords, and RH/LH parts are programmed into the Midi Song file all displayed on the screen, as well as a harmony channel that is sent to Vocal Harmony.

Any potential repeats during a performances are programmed into Tyros 5 Song section with four possible loops with repeat function. Works well because during the repeat or looped section the score lyrics/text/chords follow the Midi Song file shown on the Tyros 5 display screen.

With the half decent Tyros display screen size and resolution, usually even small size score magnification is large enough to see, allow me is see at least eight measures at a time. There is also Large and X-Large screen magnification, with X-Large shows 2 measures at a time. If I know a song well enough, I can also run just the Lyrics/Text/Chords off the screen, again while following the Midi Song file. No page turning or app required.

Varying tempo of a song is no issue, because the synced Style tempo is slave to the tempo programmed in the Midi Song file. All the LH/RH voice parts are programmed into Style OTS saves. The Tyros 5 allows OTS saves to be mixed with Ensemble and Organ World, for instant OTS voice transitions, plus I can enter registration Voice Banks or panel Voice Preset buttons at anytime giving ultimate control over any voice or expansion voice selection during a performance. If I manually activate a Song Position repeat during the Midi Song Play, any synced Audio Multipad would have to cancelled or simply allowed to run till it's ending.

High quality output A/D output converters built into the Tyros 5 allow full sonic clarity, even running all 16 channels, mic, Audio Style parts and Audio Multipad without sounding muddy in the mix or at high volumes.

Have to yet fine a TOTL arranger that can offer me more for arranging, scoring, style creating/editing, expansion, and the live performance power for the one man band music arranger.
Regards, Marcus

It all comes down to whatever each of us is happy with ... keys

#426163 - 09/14/16 10:15 PM Re: Aren't we lucky ... [Re: tony mads usa]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Tony,
they sure have come a long way.

In some ways though, for me the 80's/90's were more exciting.

Went from little 4 track recorders and synth, and along came midi, wow.
Opened up a whole new world.

Came across my first technics keyboard kn800, took it home, midied to my Atari /Notator and there were the style tracks showing up in a score.

It is brilliant how far things have come.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#426165 - 09/15/16 04:02 AM Re: Aren't we lucky ... [Re: rikkisbears]
Bachus Offline

And still moving forward....

Every 3 or 4 years a new toy, what else can you wish for...
Because now matter how perfect someting seems ...
Time allways manages to change our minds...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#426166 - 09/15/16 05:26 AM Re: Aren't we lucky ... [Re: tony mads usa]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The problem is, when new arranger products come out, they still use hand me down (Old) technology from the pro world, with manufactures charging extortionate prices for them, (Sometimes twice the price of the original keyboards their based on) just because they include Midi Loops (Styles) on-board.

Bill

#426167 - 09/15/16 06:41 AM Re: Aren't we lucky ... [Re: rikkisbears]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
took it home, midied to my Atari /Notator and there were the style tracks showing up in a score.

It is brilliant how far things have come.

I still have my Atari TT . I used Dr T's KCS and Tiger Cub

Wow ! Such a long time ago

Ron

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#426168 - 09/15/16 08:38 AM Re: Aren't we lucky ... [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
The problem is, when new arranger products come out, they still use hand me down (Old) technology from the pro world, with manufactures charging extortionate prices for them, (Sometimes twice the price of the original keyboards their based on) just because they include Midi Loops (Styles) on-board.

Bill

High development costs and low sales numbers, its not like in half the homes there will be a totl arranger .... And modern day companies that cant live witouth making profit ... And a huge part of the potential buyers can afford these prices..

You also make it sound like there is pratically no innovation, but both Tyros5 as well as Pa4x really did make a huge step compared to their predecessors both in funtionallity as well as in sound quallity....

Makes me wonder why both these instruments sound better then current Wersi organs... Or do you think its okay to build a Ketron SD 40 module into a €45.000 Wersi louvre to have acceptable style quallity? Just ask the Solitaire why he is doing this? And he tells you that sound and style design is way more important then having high end technollogy...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#426173 - 09/15/16 10:59 AM Re: Aren't we lucky ... [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus

Bill

High development costs and low sales numbers, its not like in half the homes there will be a totl arranger .... And modern day companies that cant live witouth making profit ... And a huge part of the potential buyers can afford these prices..

You also make it sound like there is pratically no innovation, but both Tyros5 as well as Pa4x really did make a huge step compared to their predecessors both in funtionallity as well as in sound quallity....

Makes me wonder why both these instruments sound better then current Wersi organs... Or do you think its okay to build a Ketron SD 40 module into a €45.000 Wersi louvre to have acceptable style quallity? Just ask the Solitaire why he is doing this? And he tells you that sound and style design is way more important then having high end technollogy...

Well! while you can connect a second keyboard to a T5 & a PA4x, they are not that good as an organ to play live, as they don’t have dedicated organ features, (This is the reason most true organ players don’t use them) however for arranger players that want to play a bit more themselves, (Rather than playing along to a style) they are a good option.

An organist uses both hands and feet to play, and styles just get in the way, hence if you hear a style used it has been simplified with just drums and the occasional vamp track, thus styles are not really a priority. (Although good styles do help arranger players in transitioning to organ playing)

I have no idea why solitaire is going to all that trouble, as if he wants Ketron styles it would be much easier (And cheaper) to convert them to T2 format and Midi an SD1000 to his organ, or do like Franz Lambert has been doing for decades, and have a Ketron module by the side. (The weak spot on Wersi has always been the drum sounds, which are no better than you get on a Yamaha, (Which fall well short of Korg, Roland and Ketron) however by using 3rd party samples or VST, this can be addressed)

I never said Arrangers don’t advance, just that they are at least 1 generation behind the pro world.

Bill

#426178 - 09/15/16 03:16 PM Re: Aren't we lucky ... [Re: rphillipchuk]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By: rphillipchuk

I still have my Atari TT . I used Dr T's KCS and Tiger Cub

Wow ! Such a long time ago

Ron

Hi Ron,
I gather still working ?? Wow.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#426182 - 09/15/16 05:01 PM Re: Aren't we lucky ... [Re: abacus]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada

Bill

Well! while you can connect a second keyboard to a T5 & a PA4x, they are not that good as an organ to play live, as they don’t have dedicated organ features, (This is the reason most true organ players don’t use them) however for arranger players that want to play a bit more themselves, (Rather than playing along to a style) they are a good option.

An organist uses both hands and feet to play, and styles just get in the way, hence if you hear a style used it has been simplified with just drums and the occasional vamp track, thus styles are not really a priority. (Although good styles do help arranger players in transitioning to organ playing)

I have no idea why solitaire is going to all that trouble, as if he wants Ketron styles it would be much easier (And cheaper) to convert them to T2 format and Midi an SD1000 to his organ, or do like Franz Lambert has been doing for decades, and have a Ketron module by the side. (The weak spot on Wersi has always been the drum sounds, which are no better than you get on a Yamaha, (Which fall well short of Korg, Roland and Ketron) however by using 3rd party samples or VST, this can be addressed)

I never said Arrangers don’t advance, just that they are at least 1 generation behind the pro world.

Bill

When my gigging Tyros 5 is parked at home, it is part of my twinset with my home studio Tyros 5 (see Photo). When connected to my PK6 MIDI bass pedals, they are as good as an organ to play live. The Tyros 5 keyboard bed is in most cases much higher quality than most organs are and a pleasure to play organ while aftertouch can be used with non-organ voices.

My favorite organ I have owned in the past would have to be my Hammond A100 with full pedalboard (25 pedals) and two Leslie Speakers. Low back issues and retirement from a full time organist position easily make the lighter and true portable combination of my Tyros 5 twinset best option for me to move forward and enjoy composing and ultimately playing live.

My gigging hobby easily pays for ongoing equipment upgrades and wear and tear over the years. A new organ comparable to my A100 would easily exceed the cost of my my Tyros 5 twinset, and the lighter powered speakers are a great substitute to the older heavy Leslies.

Both Tyros 5s can easily enter dedicated organ features through Organ World and Registrations, plus access to all the other TOTL arranger features. I miss my vintage Hammond, but I am in a much happier place now, plus we have these fine forums and internet. Still not sure if internet overall makes our lives better or happier, but I guess technology is here to stay.

Regards, Marcus

Attachments
Tyros5-Twinset.JPG

#426190 - 09/16/16 12:52 AM Re: Aren't we lucky ... [Re: Marcus]
abacus Offline

Bill

Bill

When my gigging Tyros 5 is parked at home, it is part of my twinset with my home studio Tyros 5 (see Photo). When connected to my PK6 MIDI bass pedals, they are as good as an organ to play live. The Tyros 5 keyboard bed is in most cases much higher quality than most organs are and a pleasure to play organ while aftertouch can be used with non-organ voices.

My favorite organ I have owned in the past would have to be my Hammond A100 with full pedalboard (25 pedals) and two Leslie Speakers. Low back issues and retirement from a full time organist position easily make the lighter and true portable combination of my Tyros 5 twinset best option for me to move forward and enjoy composing and ultimately playing live.

My gigging hobby easily pays for ongoing equipment upgrades and wear and tear over the years. A new organ comparable to my A100 would easily exceed the cost of my my Tyros 5 twinset, and the lighter powered speakers are a great substitute to the older heavy Leslies.

Both Tyros 5s can easily enter dedicated organ features through Organ World and Registrations, plus access to all the other TOTL arranger features. I miss my vintage Hammond, but I am in a much happier place now, plus we have these fine forums and internet. Still not sure if internet overall makes our lives better or happier, but I guess technology is here to stay.

Regards, Marcus

Hi Marcus

While the twinset is good, it lacks a dedicated pedal section, plus you have to rely on pre-sets to get the best out of it. (Nothing wrong with that, but most organists like changing things on the fly) Also having 2 Tyros for the upper and lower manuals is expensive, particularly when you add the PK6 pedals and stand.

After touch on organs has been standard on most of them for as long as I can remember.

If you have a laptop or your computer is near to your T5, then Midi it to the computer, install the Free Kontakt 5 Player and then buy the Vintage Organs package, which will give you an M series Hammond plus many other classic organs.

If you like playing theatre or classical/church, then you also have access to Haupwerk for the best pipe organ options out there.

Happy organ playing

Bill

#426214 - 09/16/16 07:50 AM Re: Aren't we lucky ... [Re: abacus]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi Bill

Maybe enlighten me with, "After touch on organs has been standard on most of them for as long as I can remember."

How far back in your memory are you going (pre-MIDI era)? Played most brands here in North America, and never came across an organ with after touch functions or can think why an organ voice would need it.

I do remember playing my friends portable Yamaha Combo organ (Maybe 1970s), and you can get some vibrato effect by shifting pressure on the keys (maybe similar to after touch).

I typically keep two keyboards at a time, basically the second being for backup and the home studio one can stay hooked up undisturbed. Saves on wear and tear, and I always get good return value when I upgrade to the next model (one at a time or both depending on how good the upgrade is).

Yes, expensive way to go if someone only wanted a twinset setup for organ playing, especially using two TOTL arrangers. I guess the same dual purpose idea as maybe a pianist wishing to use the features of an arranger and adding a 88 key weighted controller to fulfill his/her piano needs.

Regards, Marcus

#426221 - 09/16/16 10:42 AM Re: Aren't we lucky ... [Re: Marcus]
abacus Offline

Hi Bill

Maybe enlighten me with, "After touch on organs has been standard on most of them for as long as I can remember."

How far back in your memory are you going (pre-MIDI era)? Played most brands here in North America, and never came across an organ with after touch functions or can think why an organ voice would need it.

I do remember playing my friends portable Yamaha Combo organ (Maybe 1970s), and you can get some vibrato effect by shifting pressure on the keys (maybe similar to after touch).

I typically keep two keyboards at a time, basically the second being for backup and the home studio one can stay hooked up undisturbed. Saves on wear and tear, and I always get good return value when I upgrade to the next model (one at a time or both depending on how good the upgrade is).

Yes, expensive way to go if someone only wanted a twinset setup for organ playing, especially using two TOTL arrangers. I guess the same dual purpose idea as maybe a pianist wishing to use the features of an arranger and adding a 88 key weighted controller to fulfill his/her piano needs.

Regards, Marcus

Hi Marcus

When I say organs, I mean entertainment organs, (The arranger keyboard is a more advanced version of the easy play features that were fitted on organs in the 70s on) that include all sorts of instrument emulations which can be improved with after touch. (Violin for example)

It came in around the mid-80s when digital organs came about, which allowed this feature to be added. (Most instruments since the 90s have also allowed you to program how and what the after touch does to the sound)

NOTE: If you include 2nd touch in the description (A second voice was added when you pressed harder) then most theatre pipe organs had this particular feature added in the early 20th century.

Hope this helps

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online