SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#426214 - 09/16/16 07:50 AM Re: Aren't we lucky ... [Re: abacus]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi Bill

Maybe enlighten me with, "After touch on organs has been standard on most of them for as long as I can remember."

How far back in your memory are you going (pre-MIDI era)? Played most brands here in North America, and never came across an organ with after touch functions or can think why an organ voice would need it.

I do remember playing my friends portable Yamaha Combo organ (Maybe 1970s), and you can get some vibrato effect by shifting pressure on the keys (maybe similar to after touch).

I typically keep two keyboards at a time, basically the second being for backup and the home studio one can stay hooked up undisturbed. Saves on wear and tear, and I always get good return value when I upgrade to the next model (one at a time or both depending on how good the upgrade is).

Yes, expensive way to go if someone only wanted a twinset setup for organ playing, especially using two TOTL arrangers. I guess the same dual purpose idea as maybe a pianist wishing to use the features of an arranger and adding a 88 key weighted controller to fulfill his/her piano needs.

Regards, Marcus

#426221 - 09/16/16 10:42 AM Re: Aren't we lucky ... [Re: Marcus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: Marcus
Hi Bill

Maybe enlighten me with, "After touch on organs has been standard on most of them for as long as I can remember."

How far back in your memory are you going (pre-MIDI era)? Played most brands here in North America, and never came across an organ with after touch functions or can think why an organ voice would need it.

I do remember playing my friends portable Yamaha Combo organ (Maybe 1970s), and you can get some vibrato effect by shifting pressure on the keys (maybe similar to after touch).

I typically keep two keyboards at a time, basically the second being for backup and the home studio one can stay hooked up undisturbed. Saves on wear and tear, and I always get good return value when I upgrade to the next model (one at a time or both depending on how good the upgrade is).

Yes, expensive way to go if someone only wanted a twinset setup for organ playing, especially using two TOTL arrangers. I guess the same dual purpose idea as maybe a pianist wishing to use the features of an arranger and adding a 88 key weighted controller to fulfill his/her piano needs.

Regards, Marcus

Hi Marcus

When I say organs, I mean entertainment organs, (The arranger keyboard is a more advanced version of the easy play features that were fitted on organs in the 70s on) that include all sorts of instrument emulations which can be improved with after touch. (Violin for example)

It came in around the mid-80s when digital organs came about, which allowed this feature to be added. (Most instruments since the 90s have also allowed you to program how and what the after touch does to the sound)

NOTE: If you include 2nd touch in the description (A second voice was added when you pressed harder) then most theatre pipe organs had this particular feature added in the early 20th century.

Hope this helps

Bill

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online