SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#425176 - 08/24/16 10:16 AM RIP Toots Thielemans
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Toots Thielemans, the jazz harmonica virtuoso perhaps best known to general audiences for his iconic theme music for "Sesame Street," died Monday at age 94, his management company confirmed.

Thielemans died in his sleep in a Belgian hospital where he'd been hospitalized since last month after a fall, The Associated Press reported. He retired from performing in March 2014, saying he found it too tiring to stand during a concert.

Jean-Baptiste Frédéric Isidor Thielemans, also known as Baron Thielemans of Belgium, survived the Nazi occupation of his native country to launch a career as a jazz guitarist and harmonicist in the 1940s.

By 1949, at age 27, he was touring Europe with the legendary Benny Goodman Sextet, and by 1952, he'd moved to the United States to play with Charlie Parker's All-Stars, a rotating cast of musical giants that also included Miles Davis, John Lewis (later of the groundbreaking Modern Jazz Quartet), Max Roach and many others.

Thielemans (pronounced TEEL-mons) shortly thereafter joined pianist George Shearing's combo and played in side projects with everybody who was anybody in jazz.

He was broad-ranging in his music, appearing not only with traditional masters like Goodman, Parker, Shearing, Dinah Washington, Ella Fitzgerald and Oscar Peterson, but also with electric jazz artists like Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius and Joe Pass. In 1995, Quincy Jones called him "one of the greatest musicians of our time."

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#425181 - 08/24/16 11:44 AM Re: RIP Toots Thielemans [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

R.I.P

#425184 - 08/24/16 12:20 PM Re: RIP Toots Thielemans [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

He was huge overhere in. Holland, his unique sound is known by old and young..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#425186 - 08/24/16 01:22 PM Re: RIP Toots Thielemans [Re: Bachus]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Played memorable lines on lots of pop albums, too...folks like Billy Joel and lots of others. Was so good he could require that masters be went to him in Europe to work on and return.

He is missed.

R.

#425192 - 08/24/16 02:27 PM Re: RIP Toots Thielemans [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
i love his "Brasil Project" CD ...

I have a CD of 'Dreamer' - Andrea Rotolo (RIP) and I often feel that Andrea was thinking of Toots when he recorded it ...

Edited by tony mads usa (08/24/16 02:31 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online