RIP Toots Thielemans

Posted by: montunoman

RIP Toots Thielemans - 08/24/16 10:16 AM

Toots Thielemans, the jazz harmonica virtuoso perhaps best known to general audiences for his iconic theme music for "Sesame Street," died Monday at age 94, his management company confirmed.

Thielemans died in his sleep in a Belgian hospital where he'd been hospitalized since last month after a fall, The Associated Press reported. He retired from performing in March 2014, saying he found it too tiring to stand during a concert.

Jean-Baptiste Frédéric Isidor Thielemans, also known as Baron Thielemans of Belgium, survived the Nazi occupation of his native country to launch a career as a jazz guitarist and harmonicist in the 1940s.

By 1949, at age 27, he was touring Europe with the legendary Benny Goodman Sextet, and by 1952, he'd moved to the United States to play with Charlie Parker's All-Stars, a rotating cast of musical giants that also included Miles Davis, John Lewis (later of the groundbreaking Modern Jazz Quartet), Max Roach and many others.

Thielemans (pronounced TEEL-mons) shortly thereafter joined pianist George Shearing's combo and played in side projects with everybody who was anybody in jazz.

He was broad-ranging in his music, appearing not only with traditional masters like Goodman, Parker, Shearing, Dinah Washington, Ella Fitzgerald and Oscar Peterson, but also with electric jazz artists like Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius and Joe Pass. In 1995, Quincy Jones called him "one of the greatest musicians of our time."
Posted by: Dnj

Re: RIP Toots Thielemans - 08/24/16 11:44 AM

R.I.P
Posted by: Bachus

Re: RIP Toots Thielemans - 08/24/16 12:20 PM

He was huge overhere in. Holland, his unique sound is known by old and young..
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: RIP Toots Thielemans - 08/24/16 01:22 PM

Played memorable lines on lots of pop albums, too...folks like Billy Joel and lots of others. Was so good he could require that masters be went to him in Europe to work on and return.

He is missed.

R.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: RIP Toots Thielemans - 08/24/16 02:27 PM

i love his "Brasil Project" CD ...

I have a CD of 'Dreamer' - Andrea Rotolo (RIP) and I often feel that Andrea was thinking of Toots when he recorded it ...