SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#425131 - 08/22/16 06:40 PM Re: Sounds of Silence [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
As I recall the 60's, there was a LOT of tension, anger, and strife ... I sat in a US Army barracks and listened to John F Kennedy announce the blockade of Cuba, there were the assassinations of John F., and Robert F. Kennedy and Malcom X and Martin Luther King, Race riots, the Viet Nam war and the associated riots against it, and so on ... Many of us were able to escape personal involvement in the problems of the 60's but many were not ...

BUT, back to the original topic ... after reading the lyrics of "Sounds of Silence" once again, I can fully see how David Draiman could interpret the song as he did ... whether it is better than the original or not is a matter of taste ... either way Simon and Garfunkel made some more money ...

#425135 - 08/22/16 07:15 PM Re: Sounds of Silence [Re: rikkisbears]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Thank you Tony. Many of us don't look back on the 60's with the same fondness. Just depends on who you are and where you were.

chas

#425136 - 08/22/16 08:57 PM Re: Sounds of Silence [Re: rikkisbears]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi ,
To me the song represented a glimpse of a possible bleak future.
A world where people didn't communicate or care.

" people writing songs, that voices never share, no one dare disturb the sound of silence"

Why wouldn't one get angry, if the human race became so apathetic .

Personally I love both versions.

( Actually gave me the inspiration to try a style I would have never thought of using)

Edited by rikkisbears (08/23/16 02:19 AM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#425146 - 08/23/16 07:52 AM Re: Sounds of Silence [Re: rikkisbears]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: rikkisbears

Personally I love both versions.
( Actually gave me the inspiration to try a style I would have never thought of using)

rikki ... that is one of the great things about arranger KB - the ability to try the same song in SO many different styles ...
Sometimes - like other players here - I will just pick a song and go style after style and find one that is very different from the original, but still works for the song ... many times it is as simple as taking a ballad and playing it in a reggae style, or as a bossa ... or taking a bossa and playing it as a swing style ... so many combinations, so little time ... wink

#425158 - 08/23/16 04:26 PM Re: Sounds of Silence [Re: tony mads usa]
rikkisbears Offline

[quote=tony mads usa]
rikki ... that is one of the great things about arranger KB - the ability to try the same song in SO many different styles ...
Sometimes - like other players here - I will just pick a song and go style after style and find one that is very different from the original, but still works for the song ... many times it is as simple as taking a ballad and playing it in a reggae style, or as a bossa ... or taking a bossa and playing it as a swing style ... so many combinations, so little time ... wink [/ quote]

Hi Tony,
unfortunately I'm one those players who's always tended to try and find a style as close as possible to the original song, and if I couldn't, (and one of my conversions didn't suit ,) it got shelved, instead of experimenting with other style types.

Anyway, new me, I'm going to try and become more adventurous with my style choices.
If this particular version of the song can inspire me to do that, can't be all bad, ( only person's hearing I'll be assaulting , is my own, if my choices are bad. Haha)

P.s.
Project, learn a new song.
decided to try it with orchestral ballad 1. ( pa4x) . Style I like but I've never gotten past variation 1, the latin type percussion etc that kicks from vari 2 onwards has always put me off , too busy.
Transposed the key from c down to e, ( I've only got it in easy play book)
lowered a piano sound down an octave to give it a dark deep sound.
I think it works, if not, ignorance is bliss haha.
Needs an intro, ending 3 works.

Thanks Tony.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#425160 - 08/23/16 04:49 PM Re: Sounds of Silence [Re: rikkisbears]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Rikki, here's a Yamaha style that you may wish to try for this song. It is one that was given to me by forum member Rattley many years ago, and I have used it for a number of songs.

Enjoy,

Gary

Attachments
SilenceSounds.sty (98 downloads)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#425164 - 08/23/16 08:34 PM Re: Sounds of Silence [Re: travlin'easy]
rikkisbears Offline

Thanks Gary,
I'll give that a try too.
Much appreciated.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#425219 - 08/25/16 07:35 AM Re: Sounds of Silence [Re: rikkisbears]
Dnj Offline

#425241 - 08/25/16 03:53 PM Re: Sounds of Silence [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Donny
Thank you so much.
If I hadn't already found the Gm version below first, I would have bought the midi spot one, I so wanted a version of the song.

http://www.midi.com.au/disturbed/the-sound-of-silence-midi/

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#425243 - 08/25/16 04:01 PM Re: Sounds of Silence [Re: rikkisbears]
Dnj Offline

Your very welcome funny it popped up in my email lol

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online