Sounds of Silence

Posted by: rikkisbears

Sounds of Silence - 08/21/16 05:02 PM

Hi
sitting having brekkie this morning listening to a local radio station,
Up comes my favourite Simon & Garfunkal tune Sounds of Silence, it's not them though.
Sort of starts off a tad ho hum,but keep listening.
Madly scrambled to find out who it was. They never tell you on the radio, really bugs me.

Found this clip.

https://youtu.be/Bk7RVw3I8eg

Turns out the guys a heavy metal singer.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/21/16 05:23 PM

I think someone posted this here a while back..?

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/21/16 05:50 PM

Hi Donny,
It's possible, I hadn't been around.

It's just such a fantastic version.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/22/16 10:11 AM

Yeah, I had someone send that to me a while ago, as well. It's not an improvement on the original, by any means. His energy is too angry and dark for me.
It's like many sequels/covers ... better left UNdone.

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/22/16 10:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Yeah, I had someone send that to me a while ago, as well. It's not an improvement on the original, by any means. His energy is too angry and dark for me.
It's like many sequels/covers ... better left UNdone.

ditto...glad someone said it first.. wink
Posted by: rphillipchuk

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/22/16 11:49 AM

I kinda liked that alot !!!!!
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/22/16 12:41 PM

I gotta agree with DNJ and Dave.

Gary
Posted by: Steve A

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/22/16 12:59 PM

The only way to redo a classic is a totally different rendition....Pulled it off...The anger does fit too....

The 60's was angry...

"The people bowed and prayed to the neon god they made"....Should be angry....

Awesome remake

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/22/16 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Steve A
The only way to redo a classic is a totally different rendition....Pulled it off...The anger does fit too....

The 60's was angry...

"The people bowed and prayed to the neon god they made"....Should be angry....

Awesome remake

Hi Steve
that's what I luved about it too, the anger does suit the lyrics and the era.

If I remember correctly, quite a few of the great hits out of the 60's were protest songs.

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/22/16 02:39 PM

I don't know about any anger issues in the 1960s. I got married in 1962, we struggled on our meager salaries, but we made enough to eventually purchase a home in the suburbs of Baltimore, a tiny 3-bedroom rancher on a 1/4 acre lot. I worked long, hard hours at the University of Maryland Hospital and U of M Shock Trauma Unit, my wife was a stay at home mom, which is rare these days, and the only thing bad that I can remember were the riots in Baltimore when Martin Luther King was assassinated and part of the inner city was burned to the ground. I moved to Spokane, Washington right after the riots, mainly because I wanted to raise my children in a better environment than the Baltimore metropolitan area. It was the most beautiful city in the United States from my perspective.

After three years, we returned to Maryland, I went to work at The Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore in 1970, as technical director of the Cardio Pulmonary Division. After 5 years, I burned out, went back to playing music and opened a fishing tackle shop in the town of Forest Hill. No anger issues then, either.

I guess I'm just too happy of a person, wink

Gary cool
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/22/16 06:40 PM

As I recall the 60's, there was a LOT of tension, anger, and strife ... I sat in a US Army barracks and listened to John F Kennedy announce the blockade of Cuba, there were the assassinations of John F., and Robert F. Kennedy and Malcom X and Martin Luther King, Race riots, the Viet Nam war and the associated riots against it, and so on ... Many of us were able to escape personal involvement in the problems of the 60's but many were not ...

BUT, back to the original topic ... after reading the lyrics of "Sounds of Silence" once again, I can fully see how David Draiman could interpret the song as he did ... whether it is better than the original or not is a matter of taste ... either way Simon and Garfunkel made some more money ...
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/22/16 07:15 PM

Thank you Tony. Many of us don't look back on the 60's with the same fondness. Just depends on who you are and where you were.

chas

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/22/16 08:57 PM

Hi ,
To me the song represented a glimpse of a possible bleak future.
A world where people didn't communicate or care.

" people writing songs, that voices never share, no one dare disturb the sound of silence"

Why wouldn't one get angry, if the human race became so apathetic .

Personally I love both versions.

( Actually gave me the inspiration to try a style I would have never thought of using)
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/23/16 07:52 AM

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears

Personally I love both versions.
( Actually gave me the inspiration to try a style I would have never thought of using)

rikki ... that is one of the great things about arranger KB - the ability to try the same song in SO many different styles ...
Sometimes - like other players here - I will just pick a song and go style after style and find one that is very different from the original, but still works for the song ... many times it is as simple as taking a ballad and playing it in a reggae style, or as a bossa ... or taking a bossa and playing it as a swing style ... so many combinations, so little time ... wink

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/23/16 04:26 PM

[quote=tony mads usa]
rikki ... that is one of the great things about arranger KB - the ability to try the same song in SO many different styles ...
Sometimes - like other players here - I will just pick a song and go style after style and find one that is very different from the original, but still works for the song ... many times it is as simple as taking a ballad and playing it in a reggae style, or as a bossa ... or taking a bossa and playing it as a swing style ... so many combinations, so little time ... wink [/ quote]

Hi Tony,
unfortunately I'm one those players who's always tended to try and find a style as close as possible to the original song, and if I couldn't, (and one of my conversions didn't suit ,) it got shelved, instead of experimenting with other style types.

Anyway, new me, I'm going to try and become more adventurous with my style choices.
If this particular version of the song can inspire me to do that, can't be all bad, ( only person's hearing I'll be assaulting , is my own, if my choices are bad. Haha)

P.s.
Project, learn a new song.
decided to try it with orchestral ballad 1. ( pa4x) . Style I like but I've never gotten past variation 1, the latin type percussion etc that kicks from vari 2 onwards has always put me off , too busy.
Transposed the key from c down to e, ( I've only got it in easy play book)
lowered a piano sound down an octave to give it a dark deep sound.
I think it works, if not, ignorance is bliss haha.
Needs an intro, ending 3 works.

Thanks Tony.

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/23/16 04:49 PM

Rikki, here's a Yamaha style that you may wish to try for this song. It is one that was given to me by forum member Rattley many years ago, and I have used it for a number of songs.

Enjoy,

Gary

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/23/16 08:34 PM

Thanks Gary,
I'll give that a try too.
Much appreciated.

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/25/16 07:35 AM

http://www.midispot.com/en/product-presentation/?productlabelid=3986&tabid=1

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/25/16 03:53 PM

Hi Donny
Thank you so much.
If I hadn't already found the Gm version below first, I would have bought the midi spot one, I so wanted a version of the song.

http://www.midi.com.au/disturbed/the-sound-of-silence-midi/

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/25/16 04:01 PM

Your very welcome funny it popped up in my email lol

Re: Sounds of Silence - 08/25/16 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears

Transposed the key from c down to e, ( I've only got it in easy play book)
lowered a piano sound down an octave to give it a dark deep sound.
I think it works, if not, ignorance is bliss haha.
Needs an intro, ending 3 works.

Correction, the actual first chord is dm which I transposed down to f#m.
I was playing those notes with a count in instead of a chord, so I confused myself.
Easily done hahha