Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#425130 - 08/22/16 04:49 PM Why Do You Charge So Much? Cost Analysis Solution
Dnj Offline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDI6dBUiS2g

Thoughts for gigging Musicians or Dj's etc,........... cool2

Edited by Dnj (08/22/16 04:54 PM)

#425132 - 08/22/16 06:44 PM Re: Why Do You Charge So Much? Cost Analysis Solution [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... and for musicians, the hours of practice, honing one's craft so that it sounds 'effortless' ...

#425148 - 08/23/16 10:17 AM Re: Why Do You Charge So Much? Cost Analysis Solution [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I look at my end of things another way...what is the work worth as part of an entire project?

A mid-level 20 minute corporate film for a Fortune 500 company costs a total of $250,000.00, plus, depending on the degree of animation/edits. It may only be seen by 25 people, but those people are the ones who decide what stock to put into the portfolios they manage. Or, the film may be detailing a mandatory recall/repair of a heavy duty truck, with $100,000.00 per day fines if the information is not distributed at the required time.

Typically, the score would not exceed 5% for a simple one. That means a charge of $12,500.00 is reasonable. Sometimes, with complicated re-edits, time changes, sound effects, etc. it is much more than that. This is what my production unit gets. That's me; occasionally, another player, and an assistant, if lots of equipment moves and set-ups are required.

In these cases, it's not, "what are you and your talent worth for this type of job", but, "what is the fair market value of a job of this caliber, for this use be?

I also provide copy and content edit services, which makes a big difference in terms of the value to the producer and client.

Another way of looking at things. Because even an hour delay in total production time can add as much as $10,000.00 (if you're not kicked out of the production suite for going over), producers tend to maintain long-standing relationships between themselves and proven production staffers...thus the reason it's so hard to break in at a high level.

R.

Edited by captain Russ (08/23/16 12:01 PM)

#425151 - 08/23/16 10:34 AM Re: Why Do You Charge So Much? Cost Analysis Solution [Re: Dnj]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I just give the customer the price.
Don't have to explain or justify the cost. Either they accept it, or they hire a lower price group.

Jerryghr

Edited by Jerryghr (08/23/16 10:55 AM)

#425155 - 08/23/16 01:20 PM Re: Why Do You Charge So Much? Cost Analysis Solution [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Why do I charge this much? Because I'm worth every damned penny of it. smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#425161 - 08/23/16 04:49 PM Re: Why Do You Charge So Much? Cost Analysis Solution [Re: travlin'easy]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Why do I charge this much? Because I'm worth every damned penny of it. smile

Gary cool

plus........... someone has to pay for the Yamaha PSR-3000 (2), PSR-S950, Bose L1 Compact (2), TC Helicon Harmony-M, Digitech VR (3), Barbetta Sona 32C, Crown CM311A (3), Samson Q7 (2), Samson Wireless, Sennheiser E855, Custom Console, Morgan 33 Out Island Sailboat, and lots of other silly stuff!

#425167 - 08/24/16 04:18 AM Re: Why Do You Charge So Much? Cost Analysis Solution [Re: Dnj]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
I remind them that they have never regretted buying the best of anything and I assure them that the quality will be remembered long after the price is forgotten. They think about this for a second and then realize it's actually true and then they smile and are glad to be working with me.

#425198 - 08/24/16 05:31 PM Re: Why Do You Charge So Much? Cost Analysis Solution [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#425224 - 08/25/16 08:33 AM Re: Why Do You Charge So Much? Cost Analysis Solution [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
The great portion of my "one shots" are for companies and individuals with which I have other business arrangements.

I never ask what the job pays, and they (the client(s) never ask what I charge. Generally, within a month, I get a check for more than enough, and i have taken a step to further cement the business arrangement.

One job a week is devoted to my nursing home reform group. I find an individual who wants me to play, and tell them to write a check to the group. That way, it's tax deductible, and I feel good about my $1,000.00 plus monthly contribution.

"Win-win" for sure.

Russ

#425228 - 08/25/16 09:23 AM Re: Why Do You Charge So Much? Cost Analysis Solution [Re: captain Russ]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Like the realtor said; it's all about location, location and, of course, location.

My shirt tail cousin lives about 50 miles from here in a growing city of 250,000+. He gets what he wants $$$ per hour there.

When he comes to my town, 50 miles away from his home, he gets exactly half $$$ of what he gets in his town....same show.

Today, he is headed to the assisted living home where his mother lives. It's in the town we grew up 25 miles from here. He will play for free because he is told there is no budget for entertainment.

I do a monthly gig in our home town at one assisted living place and get paid my regular fee. It's the only place I play because the rest don't have budgets for entertainment...even though these places are very healthy financially and make a ton of $$$$ off of the residents.

It's location that makes a huge difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online