SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#423638 - 07/20/16 03:14 PM OT Do you think this is a scam or for real?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
In the past I have had offers to sell things and send to Africa etc, you know, all the BS scams. It's generally easy for me to spot them, but I am receiving text messages about a Hammond Organ I have listed on ebay classifieds that has me wondering. Here is the messages so far. What do you think? Sounds super fishy to me, but I actually wonder if this one could be legit. But, I sure am hesitating in sending my name and address at this point.

Kerri- Hello my name is kerri simpson i will like to know if the vintage professional hammond BC is still for sale, if yes, how much is it?

Me-Yes, it's still available $xxxx obo

Kerri-OK, I want it and I hope its in good condition

Me-it needs some finish work, the repairman said it needs a new switch. Other than that when would you like to come and see it.

Kerri-Okay I can send you cash for the payment with overnight fedex and after you get the money my pickup agent will come for the pickup okay

Me- best if we can talk by phone

KErry-I'm a hearing impaired person okay

Me-Where are you located? Where would you want it sent

Kerry-I live in Oklahoma so let me have your full name and home address to send you the money.

--------------------------------------------------------

I would love to sell the organ but this seems so fishy to me I hesitate to give my personal information. I've tried a few questions to try to expose what this is but the answers don't totally satisfy my need to know what this is all about.

What do you think? Forget it? Do it? What other questions could I use to smoke this guy out if it is as much of a scam as I think it is?

My best guess so far is he want's my name and address and then he will want to deposit money in my bank account ect, ect ekkkkkk!
Or he sends me counterfit money. Or they have the address and arrive and who knows what criminal act might follow. Or maybe he wants to take over my ebay account or use my info for other purposes.

Edited by Scott Langholff (07/20/16 03:17 PM)

#423639 - 07/20/16 03:28 PM Re: OT Do you think this is a scam or for real? [Re: Scott Langholff]
rosetree
Unregistered

Sounds very fishy to me, too. Says he lives in the US, but the English is a bit strange, and his willingness to pay in advance without asking details about the condition of the organ is very shady...

#423640 - 07/20/16 03:30 PM Re: OT Do you think this is a scam or for real? [Re: ]
Scott Langholff Offline

he's using a voip phone thingy which means he could be located anywhere

#423641 - 07/20/16 03:39 PM Re: OT Do you think this is a scam or for real? [Re: Scott Langholff]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
This is a common scam.

#423642 - 07/20/16 03:44 PM Re: OT Do you think this is a scam or for real? [Re: Scott Langholff]
broker22 Offline

Its a scam once he says his agent will pick it up that's a good sign Cal.

#423643 - 07/20/16 03:46 PM Re: OT Do you think this is a scam or for real? [Re: broker22]
Scott Langholff Offline

That's exactly what I thought too Cal

#423645 - 07/20/16 05:21 PM Re: OT Do you think this is a scam or for real? [Re: Scott Langholff]
Dnj Offline

Scam

#423646 - 07/20/16 05:41 PM Re: OT Do you think this is a scam or for real? [Re: Scott Langholff]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
It’s a scam; always follow your gut feeling.

Only one question was asked about the price. And it was no problem to proceed. Well, price doesn’t matter if you have no intention to pay.

Jerryghr

Edited by Jerryghr (07/20/16 05:51 PM)

#423647 - 07/20/16 06:31 PM Re: OT Do you think this is a scam or for real? [Re: Jerryghr]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
It's a scam.... Here in Canada , "Kajiji" is really popular, similar to ebay,amazon,etc... and every time I put an add up, within 20 minutes I get the same message. Even "Kajiji" is aware of them

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#423650 - 07/20/16 08:59 PM Re: OT Do you think this is a scam or for real? [Re: rphillipchuk]
Torch Offline

The "hearing impaired" (The scammers don't want to talk on the phone)buyer must so like the looks of the organ as to have his "agent" pick it up for him. If he was a genuine buyer, he would be the first wanting to talk to you in order to check you out as he would have more risk. I made a few private sales to total strangers before. On some occasions, I even sent items telling the buyers to send me money after they received. I won't keep trusting my instinct. I don't know exactly how I did it but on some occasions at my friend's advice I made buyers get the kind of a check from their bank and I can take it to a local branch. Once the bank gives me cash, that's the end of it. The bank cannot come back and say there wasn't sufficient fund or anything like that. There are other kinds of checks from the bank that can go wrong and in the end the bank can come back and take the money back from you.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online