SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#423511 - 07/16/16 05:19 AM Re: final verdict on the PA4x? [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude
T6 would have to be completely new - surely Yamaha cant get away with releasing another tweaked version of the current RISC based machine? For example, the processor and OS limits the screen resolution with no possibility of touch screen either as its not supported under such ancient tech. Yamaha have already performed miracles with the T series, but there is only so many Rabbits you can pull out of the same hat smile

A bit of nonsense here... In the cvp709 they use the same processing hardware in combination with a touchscreen..

Also the Montage still has risc based processing yet it also has a touchscreen..

The T6, or whatever it will be called will have the latest yamaha propriety hardware as seen in the Montage... Which means another small(er) step by yamaha..

The only company so far that made the step to high end intel based processing is Korg Japan, and only with the Kronos and Oasys... Korg Italy decided not to make that step for their arrangers...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#423516 - 07/16/16 05:59 AM Re: final verdict on the PA4x? [Re: Mark79100]
rosetree
Unregistered

The new chip Yamaha has developed (I don't have the exact name at hand right now) is used in S970 and Montage, but not yet in the T5. So that will be a certain upgrade of the T6, going along with a leap in waveform data size.

Edited by rosetree (07/16/16 05:59 AM)

#423518 - 07/16/16 06:17 AM Re: final verdict on the PA4x? [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

T6 or maybe a Totally NEW Line of arrangers would excite the masses.....
Yamaha is tight lipped, ....maybe a Montage technology driven arranger/hybrid fusion of some kind?

#423526 - 07/16/16 08:05 AM Re: final verdict on the PA4x? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
+1

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#423531 - 07/16/16 10:28 AM Re: final verdict on the PA4x? [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
The new chip Yamaha has developed (I don't have the exact name at hand right now) is used in S970 and Montage, but not yet in the T5. So that will be a certain upgrade of the T6, going along with a leap in waveform data size.

Not only in waveform data size... But even more so a leap in DSP.. As in two insert effects for every sound...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#423532 - 07/16/16 12:53 PM Re: final verdict on the PA4x? [Re: DonM]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
If you're getting an empty, digital, hollow sound, you ain't doin' it right my friend!

I would suggest you "walk a mile in my shoes, etc" and after a few years of playing the piano, you'll hear the difference. No different than analog vs. digital.

#423535 - 07/16/16 01:56 PM Re: final verdict on the PA4x? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
That won't happen as I have zero interest in being a piano player. But feel free to send all your old arrangers to Louisiana and I'll find good homes for them! smile

#423536 - 07/16/16 02:31 PM Re: final verdict on the PA4x? [Re: Mark79100]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Mark79100
If you're getting an empty, digital, hollow sound, you ain't doin' it right my friend!

I would suggest you "walk a mile in my shoes, etc" and after a few years of playing the piano, you'll hear the difference. No different than analog vs. digital.

It has recently improved quite a bit, but still, especially Yamaha's arranger piano samples still tend to be somewhat artificially bright.
But IMO, the main difference to a real piano is - by far - the PA system, which always fails to reproduce the natural frequencies as they would come out of the resonating body of the piano.

#423541 - 07/16/16 04:42 PM Re: final verdict on the PA4x? [Re: Mark79100]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Mark,
My styles are all sorted for my pa3x. Duplicates removed. (I hope.) I spent at least 3 weeks sorting out the duplicates. I found they can have a slightly different name, between the models, but same style.
It's an assortment of pa800, musikant ,pa1x etc, ( old factory , the ones missing on the pa3x. not tweaked but a lot of them sound ok) plus some user conversions of mine,and song styles.
As for the musikant, if I remember correctly, it had sounds the pa3x didn't , really a case of replacing it with something similar. I think I actually downloaded the manual at the time, soI could work out the type of sound it should be using ie doing a comparison.
I only tweak the styles if I find I need one.

You're welcome to have a copy of the styles.
Not much work required on your part, just load them and see what's useable for your needs.

Maybe rather than rush out and buy a pa4x, try some of these on your pa3x ( apparently they also work ok on the pa4x) and work out if the korg is really for you.

Sounds like you've had a bit of a love/hate relationship with the korg.

Btw , I ended up with the psrs950, l luv Yamaha styles, but I still keep going back to the korg. I convert if I really find I need one that my korg hasn't got, that I think I can't do without.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#423548 - 07/16/16 09:56 PM Re: final verdict on the PA4x? [Re: ]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: rosetree
Originally Posted By: Mark79100

But IMO, the main difference to a real piano is - by far - the PA system, which always fails to reproduce the natural frequencies as they would come out of the resonating body of the piano.

Rosetree.......you nailed it right there. There is nothing that will ever equal the sound of that hammer hitting the strings, the string vibrating and bouncing off the soundboard,and the sound waves then entering your ear canal. It's an acquired sensation. I play both arranger AND piano now, but I remember when I first started learning the piano, I ignored the arranger for a while. When I went back to it, I heard a hollowness in the electronic instrument simulation that I never heard before But you can't deny the analog vs. digital analogy.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online