SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#423722 - 07/22/16 09:42 PM Re: final verdict on the PA4x? [Re: Bachus]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Bachus

Kawai has some digital piano's that have a real soundboard in there..

Digital Piano's like yamaha cvp have a specially created amp and speaker system that allows the. To come closer to a real piano sound then an arranger currently does...

Same goes for the montage... Their A/D conversion has parts that make a piano sound more naturall ..

And then there is the high end VSTs like pianoteq that are not sample based, but are a mathematicall model that calculates the sound

There have been done some tests where people where asked to tell the real piano's from the digital piano's and most musicians and most had a hard time doing so...

Bachus........I've played just about every digital piano in the stores by now. I like the sound of all of them (except that cheapo Korg, I remember). But I was about to buy either a Privia or a Yamaha digital. They both sounded good, different but good. So there's no question the manufacturers got their act together and put out excellent sounding electric pianos.

BUT........the point I've been trying to make is NOT do they sound authentic....they all do! But not one of them will ever give you what a pianist feels in the keyboard when he feels/hears the hammer hitting the strings. And those digital keyboards are somewhat difficult to adjust to by touch.

Yet still people have preferences in sound, i prefer a Steinway or Fazioli over a Yamaha sound grand... Current high end digital piano's are that good, that its a matter of prefference what sampled model to use...

Now you're talking. I've played on quite a few Steinway's and loved almost every one of them. Someone else mentioned a Fazioli, but I haven't been able to find one anywhere. They said it was probably better than a Steinway even. The acoustic Yamaha grands......lovely. I play one at this one location, and I can do a 90 minute set without ever making a mistake. That's how good the keyboard touch is on those. Not as silky smooth as a Steinway keyboard, but better than most.

Sometimes I regret taking up the piano. Most people think if you can work a piano, than an arranger should be a piece of cake. It's not. You have to re-learn how to lay down your left hand every time you switch back and forth.

#423723 - 07/22/16 10:05 PM Re: final verdict on the PA4x? [Re: rikkisbears]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Mark,
not sure if what you have is all them.
Mine are favourites 1 to 15. Basically includes every factory style I came across that wasn't on my pa3x. Did you actually buy some of Jurgen's styles? If so I got the impression they were available for the regular korgs as well as the musikant versions,

Hi Rikki....sorry for the delay in getting back to you (and your tantalizing offer).

No I probably don't have ALL of what you have, but I probably have so many by now, I can even give YOU some, I'll bet. But I've only got up to about a year ago (when I stopped collecting them).

No, I didn't buy any of Jurgen's styles but every one of them is a killer. I mean, that man really knows how to build a practical, usable style. I can't read German either (but I do eat German food)......I think he does make both versions...the PA3x and the equivalent Musikant. I don't know what he's doing with the 4x?

I also play rhumba etc so maybe we can sort something out for you, maybe something could be converted if the musikants don't fit the bill.

Yes.....we (and Deane) seem to like the traditional sounds of yesterday. The ones that are pleasing to the ear.

I still can't find a cha cha I like (or the others-Rhumba, Bolero, simple waltz, Paso Doble, etc, but I haven't gone through my styles yet.....trying to find the time. This is the cha-cha sound I'm looking for.....best I've ever heard anywhere:

You would have luved my piano's.
I had 5ft baby Yamaha grand .

You're right on that one Rikki. One of my favorite pianos....the Yamaha grands and baby grands. I'll never have one....but I can dream!

Mark

Attachments
Speak Up Mambo - Manhattan Transfer.mp3 (28 downloads)

#423729 - 07/22/16 11:42 PM Re: final verdict on the PA4x? [Re: Mark79100]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark79100

Kawai has some digital piano's that have a real soundboard in there..

Digital Piano's like yamaha cvp have a specially created amp and speaker system that allows the. To come closer to a real piano sound then an arranger currently does...

Same goes for the montage... Their A/D conversion has parts that make a piano sound more naturall ..

And then there is the high end VSTs like pianoteq that are not sample based, but are a mathematicall model that calculates the sound

There have been done some tests where people where asked to tell the real piano's from the digital piano's and most musicians and most had a hard time doing so...

Bachus........I've played just about every digital piano in the stores by now. I like the sound of all of them (except that cheapo Korg, I remember). But I was about to buy either a Privia or a Yamaha digital. They both sounded good, different but good. So there's no question the manufacturers got their act together and put out excellent sounding electric pianos.

BUT........the point I've been trying to make is NOT do they sound authentic....they all do! But not one of them will ever give you what a pianist feels in the keyboard when he feels/hears the hammer hitting the strings. And those digital keyboards are somewhat difficult to adjust to by touch.

Yet still people have preferences in sound, i prefer a Steinway or Fazioli over a Yamaha sound grand... Current high end digital piano's are that good, that its a matter of prefference what sampled model to use...

Now you're talking. I've played on quite a few Steinway's and loved almost every one of them. Someone else mentioned a Fazioli, but I haven't been able to find one anywhere. They said it was probably better than a Steinway even. The acoustic Yamaha grands......lovely. I play one at this one location, and I can do a 90 minute set without ever making a mistake. That's how good the keyboard touch is on those. Not as silky smooth as a Steinway keyboard, but better than most.

Sometimes I regret taking up the piano. Most people think if you can work a piano, than an arranger should be a piece of cake. It's not. You have to re-learn how to lay down your left hand every time you switch back and forth.

Mark, did you try the Kawai MP11 or VPC1, the Roland LX17? These come actually very close to the real thing

Anyway, if you want a digital piano that feels exactly like a real piano... try the Yamaha Avantgrande, they have a grandpiano mechanic up to the hammers and all build in... Same goes for the Casio Celviano... these are the real thing... you even feel the hammers hitting the strings...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#423830 - 07/24/16 08:49 PM Re: final verdict on the PA4x? [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

I spent the evening watching PA3x and PA4x videos.......STYLES only. I would say that the PA4x IS a big improvement!!!

[size:17pt][/size]

#423839 - 07/24/16 09:30 PM Re: final verdict on the PA4x? [Re: Bachus]
Mark79100 Offline

Bachus......thanks for all this info about pianos. What I'm going to do, when I'm ready, is buy one of these Privia's. The cost is right, not too heavy, very portable, good sound. I probably like playing the Yamaha (portable piano) better, but it's very heavy to carry around.

The ultimate dream is to get a Yamaha baby grand, but......that would definitely be difficult to gig with.

Mark

#423843 - 07/24/16 11:02 PM Re: final verdict on the PA4x? [Re: Mark79100]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By: Mark79100
I spent the evening watching PA3x and PA4x videos.......STYLES only. I would say that the PA4x IS a big improvement!!!

Thanks for the demo links Mark, pa4x certainly do sound better.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#423844 - 07/24/16 11:19 PM Re: final verdict on the PA4x? [Re: Mark79100]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia

You would have luved my piano's.
I had 5ft baby Yamaha grand .

You're right on that one Rikki. One of my favorite pianos....the Yamaha grands and baby grands. I'll never have one....but I can dream!

Mark [/quote]

I luved my baby grand, but my disklavier was my favourite.

I only had an upright model, first series they brought out in the late 80's.
The technology was amazing. No doubt improved since. The ultimate pianola.

https://youtu.be/xbDWn4r35Fk

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online