SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#42304 - 07/31/02 11:26 PM Just another question.
Jean Olivia Offline

Loc: Melbourne Victoria Australia
My Roland G800 has a lithium battery that powers its Memory circuits. Apparently it has a 5 year life span. My G800 is over 6 years old and I suspect the battery is running low as some minor functions are dropping out. Do the Technics 6500 keyboards work on a similar system or is that now obselete? If they do, can anyone tell me the life span and what is involved in putting in a new one. Meanwhile--Its off to the doctors for a sick Roland !!!Although I have been busy with my family visiting me from Scotland, I have read the posts each day and kept up with all the news.
It was hard to see them all off on the plane, knowing I won't see them for a long time.It is wonderful to live in Australia, but its a long way from the rest of the world, especially when your children fall for someone on the other side of the world. Never mind, I'm saving my pennies for a trip across next year. Cheers. Jean.

#42305 - 08/01/02 02:36 AM Re: Just another question.
Richard Bools Offline

Hi Jean,

I don't think that the 6000/6500 uses a Lithium battery, but probably a memory backup capacitor that will run down over the course of a few weeks if the keyboard is not powered. I seem to remember the manual stating that settings such as panel memories will be remembered for about a week, but I have left my machine off for over a month at a time and all has been intact when it was repowered. I did once have a KN5000 lose some settings though. As you say, lithium batteries are good for several years, so there is no reason why the manual would state typical retention times for certain settings if such a battery was used.
Some settings such as the Custom Styles and Midi setups are stored in non-volatile flash memory which lasts forever (or at least until you overwrite it with something else!)

Regards,

Richard.

#42306 - 08/02/02 02:41 AM Re: Just another question.
Jean Olivia Offline

Richard. Thank you for answering my queries. I don't really understand the terms "memory circuit", or "memory back-up capacitor"-or "non-volatile flash- memory".Would it be too much to ask you to give me a quick definition of these terms,please.I was just quoting the Roland manual which like all manuals, assumes you know as much as they do.
I understand that panel memories etc may disappear if not saved- but the functions on the Roland that are diminishing is the control of brightness on the display screen - turning the control knob makes no difference and the tempo wheel is not responding -sometimes increasing instead of decreasing etc. Do you think this is due to weak battery or "wear and tear".There is another feature called "performance memory hold" which is not on a Technics that is also not functioning properly. I thought that as all 3 features seem to be weakening at the same time it must be the battery, but maybe not? I would appreciate any advice. Although it is a Roland problem I would like to understand the workings of each keyboard otherwise comparison is difficult, and I am trying to get a grip on all this technology. Thank you Reguards Jean.

[This message has been edited by Jean Olivia (edited 08-02-2002).]

#42307 - 08/02/02 10:32 AM Re: Just another question.
Richard Bools Offline

Hi Jean,

A memory backup capacitor is simply a small device that is similar to a battery in that it will provide miniscule amounts of power to bits of the keyboard even when the keyboard turned off in order that certain settings are not lost. Given long enough though, it will run down just like a normal battery and your settings will be lost. Turning the keyboard on however will immediately 'top up' the capacitor and it will be able to carry on as before. This is different to a lithium battery, which has a defined amount of capacity at time of manufacture and cannot be recharged.

Most types of memory, be them inside your keyboard, PC or any other device need a constant supply of power in order to retain their data. Lose the power and the memory is immediately wiped - it is said to be volatile. Non-volatile memory is a special type that will retain data even when the power to it is disconnected. The variety of this used in Technics keyboards is called Flash memory - the only way to erase the data contained in it is to overwrite it with something else, it will not simply be lost over time. Hence the term 'non-volatile flash memory'. Exactly the same type of thing is used in the memory cards that you buy for use in digital cameras, or indeed the card that the new KN7000 will use instead of a hard disk drive.

The problems you are having sound to me more like wear and tear rather than battery problems, especially things like controls not responding properly even when the keyboard is normally connected to the mains supply.

Hope this is of help!

Regards,

Richard.

#42308 - 08/02/02 03:20 PM Re: Just another question.
Jean Olivia Offline

Hi Richard. Thats as clear as a bell.!!Thank you.It looks as though the Roland needs a good overhaul.I dont think it's the battery now. I have not been using it much while I've been trying to learn to use the 6500. Maybe,like me,it doesn't like sitting around doing nothing. Thanks again.Jean.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online