SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#65994 - 07/24/02 08:47 AM I got you, babe
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I'm desperate to play this classic oldie by Sonny and Cher, but can't find a suitable rhythm/style file...
Can anyone help?
Roger Mepstead
p.s. Any suitable KN machine style file will do up to but not including KN6000 - thanks in advance if anyone can help...

#65995 - 07/24/02 05:15 PM Re: I got you, babe
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Roger, I can't send you a style since you say that it should not be KN6000, which is my keyboard. However, that song is done in a 12/8 rhythm so have a look around your instrument for a suitable style. It may also be worth having a look on Gunnar Jonny's web site. He has lots of styles available for downloading (pre-KN6000)
http://home.c2i.net/gjgotaas/
PS I'll have a look through some of my older discs and if I find anything, I'll let you know.
Good Luck

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 07-24-2002).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#65996 - 07/28/02 03:36 AM Re: I got you, babe
RMepstead Offline

Thanks Bill
You're right Gunnar has a wonderful site, but of course nothing is labelled so it would take for ever to find a style file for one particular number...mind you I've been through quite a lot of his zip files one time and another and haven't come across 'I got you babe' that way...
In actual fact one of our other colleagues/members very kindly reminded me that Neil Blake's site includes a file for this number included in his 80's collection - so I've spent the money....
Cheers
Roger M

#65997 - 07/30/02 10:51 PM Re: I got you, babe
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Roger,
This song is a great example of how a simple, bass/chord/drum arrangement can cover the "meat" of a tune without using a pre-programed arrangement.

Try any old 12/8 (50's ballad) style and set up the right hand to be a harpsichord-ish sound .... layer it with strings for fullness, if you wish.
Set the left hand to bass and go to it ! It's an easy rhythm to play, and if someone is singing .... the melody, chords, bass & drums are all covered. Try it ... it's a snap.

If you need help getting friendly with the bass part ... just play on the beats the bass drum plays ... usually 1 & 3.
(In 12/8 ... that's really the first and seventh eighth note in the measure.)
Start simple - play the root of the chord, then make it more interresting as you get more comfortable.

Just one way to stay fresh and handle the request at the same time. Play the easy ones .... program the special ones, and use the arranger to enhance where needed, or desired for effect.

#65998 - 07/31/02 09:37 AM Re: I got you, babe
Dave Shively Offline

Loc: Calimesa, Ca, USA
Hi Uncle Dave,
Great reply. Sometimes I think we are tied up with using a disk for every song. Actually we were here, playing, before the disks came out and should use our talent more. Nothing wrong with disks, I think they add a lot, but went stuck with a song, there is nothing wrong with us either.
Best Regards,
Dave Shively

#65999 - 07/31/02 02:05 PM Re: I got you, babe
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That's the spirit! That's all I have been trying to say for all these years. Use the technology, but don't let it control, or worse yet, REPLACE you as a player!

We all like the glitz, but it needs to be in moderation .... like in all other walks of life. So .... have you tried to play it manually yet? Huh, huh?????

#66000 - 08/02/02 01:43 PM Re: I got you, babe
RMepstead Offline

Thanks Uncle Dave
I used to play it regularly to 'Modern Reggae' a standard rhythm on my KN920 but it was too overbearing when I started doing it with my girl singer so I was looking for an alternative approach - many thanks for your advice.
Roger M

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online