SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#420659 - 04/28/16 02:48 PM Just Purchased a Roland BK-9
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I found a BK-9 relatively local (2 1/2 hours drive) and went to test it out. I must say I loved it and it came home with me. I have wanted 76 keys since I gave up my Korg Pa2X 5/6 years ago, and I must say the low weight will be a blessing to my back, and the Roland key feel is great even towards the back of the keys.

I am looking forward to setting it up over the next days, but would be glad for any tips or pointers that you have already figured out. It's 12 years since I last had a Roland.

Also, no doubt I'll want to set up Performances for different songs I play, editing styles, maybe deselecting some voices and changing part volumes.

I am hoping to set it up like my Pa900 so that my iPad selects the Performance when I open the sheet music in ForScore. That seems to be technically possible from what I have read.

#420663 - 04/28/16 03:33 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: PraiseTheLord
I found a BK-9 relatively local (2 1/2 hours drive) and went to test it out. I must say I loved it and it came home with me. I have wanted 76 keys since I gave up my Korg Pa2X 5/6 years ago, and I must say the low weight will be a blessing to my back, and the Roland key feel is great even towards the back of the keys.

I am looking forward to setting it up over the next days, but would be glad for any tips or pointers that you have already figured out. It's 12 years since I last had a Roland.

Also, no doubt I'll want to set up Performances for different songs I play, editing styles, maybe deselecting some voices and changing part volumes.

I am hoping to set it up like my Pa900 so that my iPad selects the Performance when I open the sheet music in ForScore. That seems to be technically possible from what I have read.

look forward to your honest review Graham....good luck.

#420672 - 04/28/16 05:54 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Good luck, Graham. I don't know if I have the guts to try another BK. The G70 spoiled me.

#420674 - 04/28/16 08:37 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: cassp]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
So far I have just been having fun trying different sounds and rhythms and am really impressed with build, sound quality and styles.

#420676 - 04/28/16 08:59 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Congratulations! From the demos I've heard, it sounds very good.

I believe I may have posted this a few years ago, but it gives a good comparison between the Korg Pa900 and the BK-9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKVSEQCLCLo

#420678 - 04/28/16 10:51 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Best place to get help: http://www.roland-arranger.com/index.php/forum
Diki is there.

#420680 - 04/29/16 12:12 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Best place to get help: http://www.roland-arranger.com/index.php/forum
Diki is there.

Great forum indeed with avery helpfull diki...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#420693 - 04/29/16 10:51 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I'm one of the few Roland supporters here but I'm very satisfied with my BK9 . Some can't get the operating system but I don't think its that complicated. Global is what it says, settings there efffect everything. Preformances are individual Styles. You can make one for each song or as I do use general settings so I can use a Style for a few songs. Saving settings is where it can get tricky and I won't try to explain that here. Better you use the manuel and fool around with it a bit.
I also want to contol my Preformances from my IPAd with UnRealbook and started a conversation on the Roland Forum. I collected the info offered but haven't really tried all of it out yet. Keep us informed of your progress with that.
Good luck with the BK9, its a great board for the working musician.

#420695 - 04/29/16 11:14 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
rosetree
Unregistered

As some might have notices, I still own the BK-9, too. I sold my BK-7m. I will think about selling again in case the SD40 is available, makes a reliable impression and isn't 700 euros more expensive than what I paid for the BK-9.

A performance includes various settings, not only a style, but also settings about the upper/lower parts/sounds, effects, style parts etc. Midi settings are stored in midi sets outside of the performance, but a performance can be linked to a certain midi set.

As I'm no fan of the click&press wheel, I recommend using the two iPad apps available for the BK-9, performance editor and BK partner.

Regarding the remark about the G70: regarding sounds and styles, BK-9 has everything the G70 had, and much better sounds in addition, with the exception of the lack of an SRX slot. The G70 had advantages in terms of operation and number of live parts.

#420701 - 04/29/16 01:13 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
As some might have notices, I still own the BK-9, too. I sold my BK-7m. I will think about selling again in case the SD40 is available, makes a reliable impression and isn't 700 euros more expensive than what I paid for the BK-9.

A performance includes various settings, not only a style, but also settings about the upper/lower parts/sounds, effects, style parts etc. Midi settings are stored in midi sets outside of the performance, but a performance can be linked to a certain midi set.

As I'm no fan of the click&press wheel, I recommend using the two iPad apps available for the BK-9, performance editor and BK partner.

Regarding the remark about the G70: regarding sounds and styles, BK-9 has everything the G70 had, and much better sounds in addition, with the exception of the lack of an SRX slot. The G70 had advantages in terms of operation and number of live parts.

I think in this Post on the roland arranger Forums Diki pretty wel explains why you would want a BK9 over the G70

#420719 - 04/30/16 06:00 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

From Rosetree's comment: "BK-9 has everything the G70 had, and much better sounds in addition, with the exception of the lack of an SRX slot."

That's too bad. It would have been great to have slots for the SRX expansions. Better yet, it should have had all the sounds of the SRX boards built-in. In your case, however, you have the Integra-7, so it's not a problem. smile

Edited by Mikem (04/30/16 06:01 AM)

#420720 - 04/30/16 06:03 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Mikem Offline

Just a question, Rosetree: How do the sounds and styles of the BK-9 compare to the BK-7m's? Are they noticeably better? I think you may have mentioned this in the past, but I'm not sure.

#420721 - 04/30/16 06:16 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Mikem
Just a question, Rosetree: How do the sounds and styles of the BK-9 compare to the BK-7m's? Are they noticeably better? I think you may have mentioned this in the past, but I'm not sure.

Of the 1,700 sounds of the BK-9, 1,100 are identical to the BK-7m. The other 600 are a mixture of a few (22) superNatural sounds, maybe 200-300 from the SonicCell, largely identical to Fantom X, and some hundreds from various sources including a few from SRX expansions such as SRX 04 (two string sections). (Note: the 1,100 from BK-7m already contain many from SRX 09 World).
All in all, many good sounds are already included in those 1,100 that are identical to the BK-7m. But the BK-7m has some weaknesses in string sections, acoustic guitars etc. For these weak sounds, the BK-9 has got clearly better alternatives among the additional 600 sounds. I would especially mention better strings (from GW and SRX 04), SuperNatural acoustic guitars, better grand pianos (although the BK-7m ones are already really good, one sounding exactly like SRX 11), and a better choice of brass sounds, too.
So, in total, if you pick the best of the 1,700 BK-9 sounds, the sound quality is considerably better than the BK-7m's.

#420722 - 04/30/16 07:06 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Mikem]
Bachus Offline

From Rosetree's comment: "BK-9 has everything the G70 had, and much better sounds in addition, with the exception of the lack of an SRX slot."

That's too bad. It would have been great to have slots for the SRX expansions. Better yet, it should have had all the sounds of the SRX boards built-in. In your case, however, you have the Integra-7, so it's not a problem. smile

Thats not entirely true, the G70 also has a vocaliser on board, which is not on the BK-9, also the keybed of the G70 was awesome, i dont know if the same keybed made the BK-9.... and there is more... The G70 had 1bass , 2 left and 3 right hand sounds... Which is still the most of any Arranger out there.... Also the G70 had some nice style features, cover and make-up tools from which atleast 1 didnt make it to the BK-9 and some more smaller features which didnt make the BK9

Stating that the difference is only the SRX slot, falls short by half a mile, and not really fair to the venerable G70 that was way ahead of its time when released...

Edited by Bachus (04/30/16 07:10 AM)

#420723 - 04/30/16 07:11 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Bachus

Thats not entirely true, the G70 also has a vocaliser on board, which is not on the BK-9, also the keybed of the G70 was awesome, i dont know if the same keybed made the BK-9.... and there is more... The G70 had 1bass , 2 left and 3 right hand sounds... Which is still the most of any Arranger out there.... Also the G70 had some nice style features, cover and make-up tools from which atleast 1 didnt make it to the BK-9 and some more smaller features which didnt make the BK9

Stating that the difference is only the SRX slot, falls short by half a mile, and not really fair to the venerable G70 that was way ahead of its time when released...

Bachus, please read my original post, before saying things like "it falls short by half a mile"! The quote by Mikem was not complete. What I said was that regarding the SOUNDS and STYLES, the BK-9 has everything the G70 had, NOT the overall features. I had mentioned the differences regarding the number of live parts.

Edited by rosetree (04/30/16 07:13 AM)

#420724 - 04/30/16 07:45 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

Of the 1,700 sounds of the BK-9, 1,100 are identical to the BK-7m. The other 600 are a mixture of a few (22) superNatural sounds, maybe 200-300 from the SonicCell, largely identical to Fantom X, and some hundreds from various sources including a few from SRX expansions such as SRX 04 (two string sections). (Note: the 1,100 from BK-7m already contain many from SRX 09 World).
All in all, many good sounds are already included in those 1,100 that are identical to the BK-7m. But the BK-7m has some weaknesses in string sections, acoustic guitars etc. For these weak sounds, the BK-9 has got clearly better alternatives among the additional 600 sounds. I would especially mention better strings (from GW and SRX 04), SuperNatural acoustic guitars, better grand pianos (although the BK-7m ones are already really good, one sounding exactly like SRX 11), and a better choice of brass sounds, too.
So, in total, if you pick the best of the 1,700 BK-9 sounds, the sound quality is considerably better than the BK-7m's.

Thanks for that detailed breakdown. smile

So, if I understand you correctly, the 1,100 sounds that are identical in both units actually sound better on the BK-9?

Edited by Mikem (04/30/16 07:48 AM)

#420725 - 04/30/16 07:51 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Bachus]
Mikem Offline

Too bad Roland tends to drop good features in new keyboards. As far as sound quality goes, from what I've read, the BK-9 is better, though.

#420726 - 04/30/16 07:57 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

So, if I understand you correctly, the 1,100 sounds that are identical in both units actually sound better on the BK-9?

No, the additional 600 sounds make the difference. I think the identical 1,100 sounds really sound identical. I'm not sure if there's a noticeable difference in the effects, I haven't noticed any, but I don't think there's a difference in the sample quality of those 1,100 sounds. (Small surprising exception: the BK-7m even has one tiny advantage: it has two or three so-called "Natural sounds" - a simpler type of "SN" sounds: at least one sax and one trombone. Their pitch bend reacts with natural scales. This feature has been eliminated in these 2 or 3 sounds in the BK-9 probably due to the 22 SN sounds - however these 22 SN sounds don't include such a trombone and a different (worse!) sax.)

#420728 - 04/30/16 08:14 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Mikem]
Bachus Offline

Too bad Roland tends to drop good features in new keyboards. As far as sound quality goes, from what I've read, the BK-9 is better, though.

Yes, espescially because of the newer samples, supernaturall sounds and 5sfx versus 1 on the G70... Most people agree the bk9 sounds better.

#420729 - 04/30/16 08:16 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

No, the additional 600 sounds make the difference. I think the identical 1,100 sounds really sound identical. I'm not sure if there's a noticeable difference in the effects, I haven't noticed any, but I don't think there's a difference in the sample quality of those 1,100 sounds. (Small surprising exception: the BK-7m even has one tiny advantage: it has two or three so-called "Natural sounds" - a simpler type of "SN" sounds: at least one sax and one trombone. Their pitch bend reacts with natural scales. This feature has been eliminated in these 2 or 3 sounds in the BK-9 probably due to the 22 SN sounds - however these 22 SN sounds don't include such a trombone and a different (worse!) sax.)

Great to know! So the BK-7m is a very good-sounding arranger, except for those acoustic guitars, unfortunately, which I don't like.

As a side note, some forum members had asked a while ago if the BK-5 was as good as the BK-7. I tried the BK-5 in a store and thought it sounded pretty awful. It does not compare to the BK-7m at all.

Thanks for your response, Rosetree. smile

#420730 - 04/30/16 08:17 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Bachus]
Mikem Offline

Yes, espescially because of the newer samples, supernaturall sounds and 5sfx versus 1 on the G70... Most people agree the bk9 sounds better.

Thanks, Bachus!

#420731 - 04/30/16 08:38 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

Great to know! So the BK-7m is a very good-sounding arranger, except for those acoustic guitars, unfortunately, which I don't like.

As a side note, some forum members had asked a while ago if the BK-5 was as good as the BK-7. I tried the BK-5 in a store and thought it sounded pretty awful. It does not compare to the BK-7m at all.

I would say: BK-7m is a good-sounding arranger module, but the differences to BK-9 are very audible not only regarding acoustic guitars, but also string sections and somewhat brass sections, and the hundreds of additional sounds from SonicCell and others provide more versatile choices in any sound categories.

#420732 - 04/30/16 09:23 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Mikem Offline

Thanks again for your comments, Rosetree.

I'll keep these in mind. smile

#420737 - 04/30/16 01:34 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

I would say: BK-7m is a good-sounding arranger module, but the differences to BK-9 are very audible not only regarding acoustic guitars, but also string sections and somewhat brass sections, and the hundreds of additional sounds from SonicCell and others provide more versatile choices in any sound categories.

Actually where the BK7m is concerned, most people might not beinterested in the solo sounds, but only in the style quallity... You could use a bk7m on top of any key you want, roland fa08, jupiter80, rd800, yamaha moxf or Montage, Korg Kronos or Nord stage..

So is there much difference between the stle quallity of bk7m and bk9...

#420742 - 04/30/16 04:11 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
rosetree
Unregistered

For the styles, the difference in sounds plays a smaller role of course. The arrangements are largely the same. For the acoustic guitars in the styles I think there is a difference, even if the BK-9 doesn't makes use of the SN-A guitars as style parts, but it has better acoustic guitars in the ordinary PCM sounds, too.

I just prepared a short live Beethoven symphonic orchestra demo with my BK-9 - the BK-9 sounds amazingly good here, and this is where the BK-7m would be dramatically worse.

Edited by rosetree (04/30/16 04:12 PM)

#420744 - 04/30/16 04:26 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

For the styles, the difference in sounds plays a smaller role of course. The arrangements are largely the same. For the acoustic guitars in the styles I think there is a difference, even if the BK-9 doesn't makes use of the SN-A guitars as style parts, but it has better acoustic guitars in the ordinary PCM sounds, too.

I just prepared a short live Beethoven symphonic orchestra demo with my BK-9 - the BK-9 sounds amazingly good here, and this is where the BK-7m would be dramatically worse.

Will we find it on YouTube, SoundCloud or here?

#420745 - 04/30/16 04:37 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
rosetree
Unregistered

Newest one on Youtube.
Direct link is https://youtu.be/m_-oT8B1rV8

#420747 - 04/30/16 05:04 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Mikem Offline

Nicely played! The sounds are good and remind me of your previous Integra-7 demos. I guess it's due to the String sounds that are from the SRX.

How do you think it fares against the Integra-7?

The advantage with the BK-9 is that it has keys!

Good work and keep them coming!

#420753 - 05/01/16 01:55 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Newest one on Youtube.

Makes the bk9 shine indeed

I would love to hear that with the hall of a cathedrall...

Edited by Bachus (05/01/16 02:00 AM)

#420754 - 05/01/16 02:42 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Newest one on Youtube.

You will laugh, I already got 3 thumbs down for it, there are enough trolls on Youtube, I tell you rating on Youtube are so ridiculous I've long set it to invisible. Hate of classical music, stubborn rejection of certain brands, mutual thumbs up by the hundreds of home players sometimes even for poor renditions. Meanwhile I would be embarrassed to get too many thumbs up.
The reverb: it is already set to long reverb and high level. Even more would make it extremely wet.

#420765 - 05/01/16 05:03 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Newest one on Youtube.

You will laugh, I already got 3 thumbs down for it, there are enough trolls on Youtube, I tell you rating on Youtube are so ridiculous I've long set it to invisible. Hate of classical music, stubborn rejection of certain brands, mutual thumbs up by the hundreds of home players sometimes even for poor renditions. Meanwhile I would be embarrassed to get too many thumbs up.
The reverb: it is already set to long reverb and high level. Even more would make it extremely wet.

Normally i never thumb...

But i went back to give you thumbs up, i hope more people will do so.

#420766 - 05/01/16 05:10 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Dnj Offline

the dual display was a killer for the BK9 turned alot of people off..although it does have some very nice features.

#420767 - 05/01/16 05:28 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
the dual display was a killer for the BK9 turned alot of people off..although it does have some very nice features.

Personally i like the idea of 2 screens, but these where to small and to low quallity...

I would love to see a high end arranger with 2 times a 7" touchscreen and 9 sliders and 8 knobs in between... ( and then 16 pads to the left )

Sometimes i dream at night from a Roland arranger workstation that has all their technollogy onboard....(acb, Vsynth, integra sounds, jupiter80 live sets, pha50 keybed, bk9 styles, fa arp and samples, ea7 sampler and much much more).

Sadly we all know this is never going to happen... However, Casio Mz-x series has showed us that a combination of arranger and synth workstation will work for many non typical arranger genres.

#420768 - 05/01/16 05:34 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Dnj Offline

Or just have no display and include a 10in attachable tablet with every unit lol

#420769 - 05/01/16 06:06 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Or just have no display and include a 10in attachable tablet with every unit lol

Donny
I think you hit on what the Roland engineers were thinking. IPAD use is so prevelant with musicians they kept the cost down and gave you the opprotunity to use you IPAD with the BK9. I've been putting it off but I am going to msske sn effort to link Unreslbook to my Performances.
The two screens give two different sets of info and if they were combined it would be harder to quickly read what you need. The quality is low. The screen on my BK7M was so much better and I don't know why they didn't use that same technology on the BK9.
I've said its a players keyboard but with some of the Classically oriented pieces Rosetree is producing its great for the studio too.

#420770 - 05/01/16 06:08 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Or even allow people to attach any touchscreen, ipad(pro), android tablet, windows tablet... Saves money, gives people freedom to attach whatever they want...

And while they are at it... If they allow for controlling VST's and audio over USB.. You would make 2 steps forward...

Tough i think many people would not be happy if their key required a sepperate screen...

#420771 - 05/01/16 06:12 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Or even allow people to attach any touchscreen, ipad(pro), android tablet, windows tablet... Saves money, gives people freedom to attach whatever they want...

And while they are at it... If they allow for controlling VST's and audio over USB.. You would make 2 steps forward...

Tough i think many people would not be happy if their key required a sepperate screen...

exactly!!! there should be a "GROOVE CUTOUT" mount for Tablets to slide into on top of the unit so you can just keep it right in front of you when playing...when will they realize design and navigation these days is imperative to a players performance?

Edited by Dnj (05/01/16 06:13 AM)

#420772 - 05/01/16 06:15 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis

Donny
I think you hit on what the Roland engineers were thinking. IPAD use is so prevelant with musicians they kept the cost down and gave you the opprotunity to use you IPAD with the BK9. I've been putting it off but I am going to msske sn effort to link Unreslbook to my Performances.
The two screens give two different sets of info and if they were combined it would be harder to quickly read what you need. The quality is low. The screen on my BK7M was so much better and I don't know why they didn't use that same technology on the BK9.
I've said its a players keyboard but with some of the Classically oriented pieces Rosetree is producing its great for the studio too.

This one, there is also a great edditing app...

So sad Rolamd is misunderstood by so many... Roland has some awesome ipad apps for all their instruments..

#420773 - 05/01/16 06:18 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Dnj Offline

let's hope these tablets are implemented in future Kb designs things have to change hopefully sooner then later..

#420774 - 05/01/16 06:53 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I always liked it a lot except for navigation.

#420776 - 05/01/16 07:08 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bernie9

agreed Bernie and that's always been my point all of today's arranger keyboards need to be urgently redesigned with Player NAVIGATION in Mind starting with Tilt Display being larger on ALL MODELS, optional tablet hookups, etc, etc, ...

Edited by Dnj (05/01/16 07:09 AM)

#420779 - 05/01/16 08:37 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

agreed Bernie and that's always been my point all of today's arranger keyboards need to be urgently redesigned with Player NAVIGATION in Mind starting with Tilt Display being larger on ALL MODELS, optional tablet hookups, etc, etc, ...

Thats what players agree on, seems however that the companies only want to add tilting screens to their high end arrangers.. Its one of those things they sadly use to make high end arrangers the only option that has it all...

And then many high end instruments, kronos, montage, jupiter 80, sd7, audya, kurzweil dont have tilting screens..

I think tyros, pax and oasys where the only keyboards so far with tilting screens, and thats why a seperate screen could be a solution

#420780 - 05/01/16 08:56 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Thats what players agree on, seems however that the companies only want to add tilting screens to their high end arrangers.. Its one of those things they sadly use to make high end arrangers the only option that has it all...

And then many high end instruments, kronos, montage, jupiter 80, sd7, audya, kurzweil dont have tilting screens..

I think tyros, pax and oasys where the only keyboards so far with tilting screens, and thats why a seperate screen could be a solution

Lets add Technics KN5000, 6000, 6500 7000 & Gem Genesys to the tilt display list too cool2

Attachments
TECHNICS_KN5000.jpg

6k.jpg

Edited by Dnj (05/01/16 09:00 AM)

#420781 - 05/01/16 08:58 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

keys

Attachments
7k.jpg

50512gem.jpg

Edited by Dnj (05/01/16 09:01 AM)

#420782 - 05/01/16 09:03 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
DonM Offline

I think I had a Yamaha that had tilt screen. Maybe PSR 6100 or 6300?

#420783 - 05/01/16 09:48 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Attachments
ppppppppp.JPG

#420784 - 05/01/16 10:19 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Okay, apparently i forgot about Gem and Technics.. Where it comes to tilt screens..

I only looked at current brands...

I think PSR 8000 had a good readable screen position, as well as the latest Casio piano's and the mz-x 500...

#420785 - 05/01/16 10:43 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
rosetree
Unregistered

As to using a tablet with apps as a 'substitute' for a screen, it works in a lot of ways, but don't forget sometimes there are limitations if the apps are based on simple midi messages: for example, you cannot change the volumes of two parts independently if both parts are on the same midi channel. Some users experienced this problem with the Roland app for the Integra.

#420786 - 05/01/16 10:57 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Normally i never thumb...

But i went back to give you thumbs up, i hope more people will do so.

Thank you!

#420787 - 05/01/16 11:01 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

As to using a tablet with apps as a 'substitute' for a screen, it works in a lot of ways, but don't forget sometimes there are limitations if the apps are based on simple midi messages: for example, you cannot change the volumes of two parts independently if both parts are on the same midi channel. Some users experienced this problem with the Roland app for the Integra.

We are not talking about mere midi apps.... We are talking about using the tablet as a full integrated part of the keyboard... I.e. Replacing the screen of the keyboard.. So the keyboard has more room for switches buttons knobs and other controll elements....

Another example would be an arranger module, with a buildin ipad stand on the back... High speed connection, largeHD screen, yet not the production cost of such a screen...

Or even more thinking out of the box, imagine a laptop running V-arranger, with a controll surface that you place on top of the keyboard/touchpad .. Giving you a nice module with direct controll area...

#420788 - 05/01/16 11:24 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

We are not talking about mere midi apps.... We are talking about using the tablet as a full integrated part of the keyboard... I.e. Replacing the screen of the keyboard.. So the keyboard has more room for switches buttons knobs and other controll elements....

That's certainly desirable, I am trying to imagine whether this is difficult to develop or not. Apparently so far most or all apps are midi-based, so this seems to be the cheapest way (but with too many restrictions)... Could the apps be programmed to act as part of the instrument's OS and communicate via USB without midi? Or would it be sufficient to implement enough midi SySex messages to make it behave like an internal screen?

#420789 - 05/01/16 11:45 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

That's certainly desirable, I am trying to imagine whether this is difficult to develop or not. Apparently so far most or all apps are midi-based, so this seems to be the cheapest way (but with too many restrictions)... Could the apps be programmed to act as part of the instrument's OS and communicate via USB without midi? Or would it be sufficient to implement enough midi SySex messages to make it behave like an internal screen?

Midi is not an option if you want to do this right... Midi protocol is old.. And has to many disadvantages

Its however not hard to program, its straighforward calls from hardware to the ipad over USB... And vice versa...

#420790 - 05/01/16 11:54 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

This thing was fantastic in its time. Still had to use midi drums and sounds, but at least it generated a drum and bass track with basic strums. As I recall, every style part was output on it's own midi channel. At the time, I thought that was really cool. Backup was by cassette tape!

#420792 - 05/01/16 12:14 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: DonM]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I had one in the mid 80's. Everyone thought it sounded great at the time. It just shows you that we think our kb sounds great until something better comes along to spoil it. I knew innovation is great but expensive. If I recall correctly, the 6100 was not cheap.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online