SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#420659 - 04/28/16 02:48 PM Just Purchased a Roland BK-9
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I found a BK-9 relatively local (2 1/2 hours drive) and went to test it out. I must say I loved it and it came home with me. I have wanted 76 keys since I gave up my Korg Pa2X 5/6 years ago, and I must say the low weight will be a blessing to my back, and the Roland key feel is great even towards the back of the keys.

I am looking forward to setting it up over the next days, but would be glad for any tips or pointers that you have already figured out. It's 12 years since I last had a Roland.

Also, no doubt I'll want to set up Performances for different songs I play, editing styles, maybe deselecting some voices and changing part volumes.

I am hoping to set it up like my Pa900 so that my iPad selects the Performance when I open the sheet music in ForScore. That seems to be technically possible from what I have read.

#420663 - 04/28/16 03:33 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: PraiseTheLord
I found a BK-9 relatively local (2 1/2 hours drive) and went to test it out. I must say I loved it and it came home with me. I have wanted 76 keys since I gave up my Korg Pa2X 5/6 years ago, and I must say the low weight will be a blessing to my back, and the Roland key feel is great even towards the back of the keys.

I am looking forward to setting it up over the next days, but would be glad for any tips or pointers that you have already figured out. It's 12 years since I last had a Roland.

Also, no doubt I'll want to set up Performances for different songs I play, editing styles, maybe deselecting some voices and changing part volumes.

I am hoping to set it up like my Pa900 so that my iPad selects the Performance when I open the sheet music in ForScore. That seems to be technically possible from what I have read.

look forward to your honest review Graham....good luck.

#420672 - 04/28/16 05:54 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Good luck, Graham. I don't know if I have the guts to try another BK. The G70 spoiled me.

#420674 - 04/28/16 08:37 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: cassp]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
So far I have just been having fun trying different sounds and rhythms and am really impressed with build, sound quality and styles.

#420676 - 04/28/16 08:59 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Congratulations! From the demos I've heard, it sounds very good.

I believe I may have posted this a few years ago, but it gives a good comparison between the Korg Pa900 and the BK-9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKVSEQCLCLo

#420678 - 04/28/16 10:51 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Best place to get help: http://www.roland-arranger.com/index.php/forum
Diki is there.

#420680 - 04/29/16 12:12 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Best place to get help: http://www.roland-arranger.com/index.php/forum
Diki is there.

Great forum indeed with avery helpfull diki...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#420693 - 04/29/16 10:51 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I'm one of the few Roland supporters here but I'm very satisfied with my BK9 . Some can't get the operating system but I don't think its that complicated. Global is what it says, settings there efffect everything. Preformances are individual Styles. You can make one for each song or as I do use general settings so I can use a Style for a few songs. Saving settings is where it can get tricky and I won't try to explain that here. Better you use the manuel and fool around with it a bit.
I also want to contol my Preformances from my IPAd with UnRealbook and started a conversation on the Roland Forum. I collected the info offered but haven't really tried all of it out yet. Keep us informed of your progress with that.
Good luck with the BK9, its a great board for the working musician.

#420695 - 04/29/16 11:14 AM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
rosetree
Unregistered

As some might have notices, I still own the BK-9, too. I sold my BK-7m. I will think about selling again in case the SD40 is available, makes a reliable impression and isn't 700 euros more expensive than what I paid for the BK-9.

A performance includes various settings, not only a style, but also settings about the upper/lower parts/sounds, effects, style parts etc. Midi settings are stored in midi sets outside of the performance, but a performance can be linked to a certain midi set.

As I'm no fan of the click&press wheel, I recommend using the two iPad apps available for the BK-9, performance editor and BK partner.

Regarding the remark about the G70: regarding sounds and styles, BK-9 has everything the G70 had, and much better sounds in addition, with the exception of the lack of an SRX slot. The G70 had advantages in terms of operation and number of live parts.

#420701 - 04/29/16 01:13 PM Re: Just Purchased a Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
As some might have notices, I still own the BK-9, too. I sold my BK-7m. I will think about selling again in case the SD40 is available, makes a reliable impression and isn't 700 euros more expensive than what I paid for the BK-9.

A performance includes various settings, not only a style, but also settings about the upper/lower parts/sounds, effects, style parts etc. Midi settings are stored in midi sets outside of the performance, but a performance can be linked to a certain midi set.

As I'm no fan of the click&press wheel, I recommend using the two iPad apps available for the BK-9, performance editor and BK partner.

Regarding the remark about the G70: regarding sounds and styles, BK-9 has everything the G70 had, and much better sounds in addition, with the exception of the lack of an SRX slot. The G70 had advantages in terms of operation and number of live parts.

I think in this Post on the roland arranger Forums Diki pretty wel explains why you would want a BK9 over the G70

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online