SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#419028 - 04/01/16 10:34 PM my trip down Memory Lane
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Many years ago, in one of the nursing homes, the AD told me something like "remember, every song you play brings back a memory for someone in your audience." This morning that happened to me.....with a difference. The difference being…instead of waiting to hear a song to propel me into a journey of nostalgia, I actively sought out songs that would “bring back a memory” for me now.

It started this morning. I was going about my chores, and suddenly the E minor riff from Delilah (Tom Jones) appeared in my head. I immediately re-lived the years when I was with a band and we played that song in the Catskills every summer and the 2 hour trip home when we would laugh and joke about anything and everything until we arrived home at 5 am the next morning after stuffing ourselves silly with food in the all-night diner. Really great days that I hadn't thought about in years.

So I continued on, seeking other songs I knew would “bring back a memory.” I came up with these.

Bye, Bye Love (Everly Brothers).....it was playing on someone’s radio when I was sitting on Carol’s porch (my first love). Whenever I hear that song I think about what it was like being in love for the first time.

Little Things Mean A Lot (Kitty Kallen): my first British girl friend told me that was her favorite song because of the words (she was obviously trying to tell me something). I think of the many good days I shared with Margaret when I hear this song.

Are You Lonesome Tonight (Elvis): the radio was on as I was driving my then girl friend home to the Bronx via the George Washington Bridge.....another warm remembrance...whenever I hear the song and whenever I cross the GWB.

Love Is All I Have To Give (Englebert): that reminded me of my singing lessons in London when I spent months trying to hit that high note and, in-between, exchanging many jokes with my teacher. The lessons were more like social events than lessons. That went on for years.

Emperor Waltz (Strauss): One day I was introduced to Dietmar (a German guitarist) and we played Strauss waltzes and German music for three months in the London Hilton. I meant three “glorious” months playing wonderful European music!

Goodnight, My Love (Jessie Belvin): my father would put me to bed at 8 pm every night. A bit early, but it gave me the opportunity to listen to all that glorious music in those days. I would put the portable radio under my pillow every night and listen to Alan Freed for four hours until midnight when he played “Goodnight, My Love.”

Whole Lotta Shakin’ Going On (Jerry Lee)/Blue Suede Shoes (Carl Perkins): I would come home from school and every day I would immediately put both those records on at about 220 DB and every day my sister would come running down the stairs with the same remark: “turn the darn music down!” I still think of those Jerry Lee Lewis rockin” days. I wished my sister was as musically inclined as I was.

Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Doris Day): I remember, in those days, my father would take the family out on a Friday night walk about town. One night, we were standing on the street corner waiting to cross, when I heard “Whatever Will Be” from a car radio. I don’t know why, but I suddenly realized that songs had lyrics to them and were not just melodies. But, when I hear the song I think about those intimate family walks.....and, also.....how that was my best money-maker tune when I was busking in the streets of London....more years of good memories.

Bless ‘em All (a British song): It was a war song, but it was also a fun song. I found myself singing that song whenever I traveled to a gig in Surrey, England because Surrey was my favorite place to be. I think about it today even.

Now.....the most interesting part of this whole experiment/experience was, try as I may, I couldn't think of one song in the vast collection of music floating through my head that brought back a BAD memory. Not a one! Interesting how the human mind protects itself! And how (good) music is there if we learn to use it to insulate us from negative happenings that we'll encounter throughout life.

And so, I wanted to share this with you.....how I was able to resurrect and re-live a lot of the happy times in my life. I also suspect that doing this on a regular basis will help me to deal with the “music of the present “ when I hear it.....and.....“the lifestyles of the now generation” when I see it!

Almost forgot the best part.....my new perspective. I can really appreciate so much more now how lucky I was to have grown up in, what I consider to be, the only era there was of relative peacefulness, prosperity, morals, innocence, and, most of all, structured everyday life.....and, of course, that great music and enough leisure time to listen to it!

MARK

#419029 - 04/01/16 10:40 PM Re: my trip down Memory Lane [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Very thoughtful and thought-provoking! My life, and I'm sure that of many others, has multiple musical mile-markers!
Thanks for sharing.

#419031 - 04/02/16 01:29 AM Re: my trip down Memory Lane [Re: Mark79100]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
How right you are Mark.
I have been playing this memory game for years and derived a great deal of pleasure from it.
Everly Bros, All I have to do is Dream, and Pat Boone's, April Love, always takes me back to my first love - what bliss.
Paul Anka's, Diana, takes me back to joining the Army.
There's a song for every part of my life and, as you say, every one recalls a good memory - no bad memories at all from songs.
Tony

#419036 - 04/02/16 07:31 AM Re: my trip down Memory Lane [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#419126 - 04/04/16 06:51 AM Re: my trip down Memory Lane [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

headphone

Attachments
sssssss.jpg

#420801 - 05/01/16 05:22 PM Re: my trip down Memory Lane [Re: Mark79100]
Alan-Russell Offline

The best music Education happened in the Catkills mountains playing in showbands for Sammy Maslin. All of my arranging skills started there. We were fortunate musicians

Alan Russell

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online