SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12 >
Topic Options
#4211 - 01/17/04 11:10 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, more of the patches are getting staticy too.

#4212 - 01/17/04 05:29 PM Re: Bought a Juno 106
skellis Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
I just got a HS-60 (Juno 106 with internal speakers) off ebay and it gets alot of static after it warms up for about 10 minutes. Likewise this thing should go to the shop for a cleaning I guess. Any idea how much that should/could cost?

#4213 - 01/17/04 06:15 PM Re: Bought a Juno 106
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Well, it all depends...
If it ain't to dirty and messed up and your repairs guy is not someone who charges for nothin'...
Roughly...starting at $50 and up.
If it's real bad...up to a couple of hundred $s.
If there's smoke comin' out of the unit and it's just about to blow up...just throw it away! As Tek says "We live in a disposable world". BUt I hope that's not the case with your unit.
Make sure that your guy uses compressed air to remove all the dirt and dust. SOme of them like to use other stuff, so it takes them a LOT longer to clean everything out.

-ED-

#4214 - 01/17/04 06:25 PM Re: Bought a Juno 106
skellis Offline

Thanks for the advice. I just heard back from the owner that he hasn't used the board in over 2 years and it didn't act that way when he last used it. I guess the only other question is will "cleaning" the board really solve the problem or likely to be a problem in the circuitry requiring more extensive/expensive work? Also, do these boards have a grounding problem? Eg, the power cord has clearly been soldered into the back and isn't grounded. Therefore, maybe everyting inside the board not grounded either. Seems like I might be able to fix such a problem.

#4215 - 01/18/04 01:16 PM Re: Bought a Juno 106
3351 Offline

Has the cable been soldered on at the factory? If yes I WOULDN'T mess with it if I were you.
In many cases grounding only adds unwanted hum and noise. I had to use cheaters (VERY dangerous) to lift the ground in my old studio every time I was using tube amps and some of my older analog synths. If the cable has been soldered on by the original owner, then do yourself a BIG favor and take it to the shop.
BTB
Internal circuitry can be pretty $$$ to fix. It cost me about $350.00 to replace the mother board on the mentioned 01/W...
Had I waited a bit longer to fix it it would've eventually fried completely. WIth sparks, smoke and the whole show...
Try not to wait for to long.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 01-18-2004).]

#4216 - 01/19/04 01:14 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I agree that you should try a ground lift adapter to see if it is mains hum that you are hearing.

#4217 - 01/19/04 08:24 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
skellis Offline

Looks to me like it was soldered on by the original owner. What do you mean, "lift the ground"? Would that be running a ground wire from the board case to the ground prong on the cheater plug?

BTW I know that it needs to go to the shop but I'm considering returning the board to the previous owner for refund since I can't be sure I can limit the fix to under $100. For that kind of money I can get a different board in better condition. I love bringing things back to life but not sure I can justify the expense in this case.

#4218 - 01/19/04 02:45 PM Re: Bought a Juno 106
3351 Offline

You've got it. That's what they call lifting the ground.
Well, I thinkg you better return the board to it's original owner. I wouldn't deal with something that's been re-soldered by an amateur... No sir.

-ED-

#4219 - 01/20/04 10:12 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, now that I have a keyboard, what do I do now? I mean I don't consider myself a musician, well at least not like most of you guys on here. ED, tek, morph too name a few. See the most I know is chords and some scales but that's it. I don't even have a musical style? Do you guys have any suggestions?

#4220 - 01/20/04 03:38 PM Re: Bought a Juno 106
3351 Offline

Well,what do you want to do?
Do you want to be a musician? If not, then don't buy keyboards. Give JUNO to your best friend Ed. You don't need it.

Ok, my real suggestion to you is:
Figure out WHAT you want. We at synthzone CAN'T do it for you. I already suggested that you start trying to play by ear. Just pick your favorite tune and try to play it. IT's gonna be hard at first, but will eventually become easy. Pick some simple melody. Don't try too hard, but do try . Otherwise, why even have a keyboard?

-ED-

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online