Bought a Juno 106

Posted by: Anonymous

Bought a Juno 106 - 12/30/03 12:23 PM

Okay Okay, I finnaly broke down and bought a keyboard. Found a Juno 106 at a pawn shop for $280.00. Only down side there is no power cord. Bummer . But I am pretty resourcefull so I know of a few places to look to find a power cord. Aside from the missing cord, the board looks in really good shape all the sliders are intact nothing seems to be broken looks almost brand spanking new. Must have been well cared for.

So now I have something too play with, not more gripe, and complaing but not finding just the right one. Oh and I have played one of thses before. And yes it is one that I have always wanted.
Posted by: tekminus

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 12/30/03 12:30 PM

Great choice.

-tek

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 12/30/03 12:41 PM

Thanks tek!
Posted by: 3351

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 12/30/03 02:21 PM

Hey tek,
When did you buy your JUNO?

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 12/30/03 03:04 PM

March or april 2000. I wish I had more space so it could be permanently out in front of my laptop. It's up on a shelf and I have to take it out everytime I want to use it.

It sounds absolutely great. Some minor damage on it, but nothing that affects the sound. The pitchbend doesn't work, luckily the 3 sliders above it work. Sometimes the LFO trigger works.

-tek

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/03/04 02:14 AM

Good for you Paul, that's great. So now it's tek, 'William Orbit', you, and myself with a DCO'ed Juno-106. A somewhat MIDI controllable Juno sound chip without the 'plastic' sounding timbre the late cheaper jupee 4's & 6's had. They have the chip but have other diferences that make the late jupees sound their Juno chips like they got a plugged up cold.

I will check my storage for an extra non-polarized line cord and post it for a topic

Congrats Paul...a really good choice. I couldn't think of a better keyboard. Hold on to it, and dont be bummed if the battery is dead inside. It's no big deal, it's easy.

Now lets see if we can't get you that cord.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/03/04 06:17 AM

Thanks Morph! Actually I am planning to hold onto this one. Especially since it is in execllent condition. No scratches on it or broken peices of plastic or snaped slidders. This one was taken care of. Probbably used in a studio and not on the road.

Yes I really want to get a cord for it so I can start playing it.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/03/04 08:39 AM

Say...
What's stopping you from getting that power chord like RIGHT NOW?
I thought 106s had/have standard power chords.
If you're broke, I'll send you one of mine. I have miles of spare cables and chords in my studio.

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/03/04 08:50 AM

Well nothing really. I was hopping to just buy one, but since the music stores I called don't have any, they would have to order me one. And it's not like I can go into Radio shck and pick one up. Becuse tthe power cords they sell are too wide. The 106 came out before grounded plugs were made standered. And since there are only two prongs on the back of the 106 where the cord plugs in a three prong one would not work.

I'll go wednesday and order one from either gutiar center or bill's music house.

I doubt you would have a power cord that would work.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/03/04 08:57 AM

Your doubts are confirmed. No such cables here. I have just about everything including the ugly UK cables, but not the one for your Juno...
Sorry bud.

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/03/04 11:10 AM

Thats okay ed no prob. I'll try Guitar Center, or Bill's music house.
Posted by: Soft Machine

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/03/04 10:18 PM

How I miss my Juno106

the simplicity, the clear pads, the awful chorus I II, the missing LFO shaft (I used a toothpick instead) The thiness of its sound, cut just like butter. The sysex Midi-friendly
board. yep, She was gorgeous

Now if I could still convince my friend to sell me his Juno60..

I'm not worried though, I'll have one back

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/04/04 05:40 AM

They're not exactly rare. Finding one in good condition without getting ripped off is another matter.

-tek

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/07/04 07:23 AM

Okay, went to the AMS web site and bought a Hosa PWC178 power cord for my juno-106. should have it in three days. So I will let you know wheter it works or not. I really hope it works.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/07/04 09:53 AM

Don't we all

-tek

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/08/04 12:11 PM

Good News Evryone! My power cord arrived today for my Juno-106. Connected it up plugged it in and turned it on, and voila the Juno still works. And there was much rejoyceing YEAAAAAA!!!

Teseted it out, all the keys work as well as all the sliders, and the joysitck. Only two patches do not work. I get complete slience. Which is not too bad considering the age, and the last time this was played. Well I did make a good descion in buying this keyboard. I plan to have endless hours of fun playing it.

BTW: I am not going to sell this one off.
Posted by: Sanvean

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/08/04 12:32 PM

You should check out the Vintage Synth Explorer site for the midi implementation charts and System Exclusive parameters. These will be helpful when you come to need them. Look up the Juno 106 page and they are in there.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/08/04 05:31 PM

What do you mean "two patches don't work"? Are you sure? Sounds very strange, since there are no up or down buttons to select patches.

Do you mean that two of the patch select buttons don't work? If not, which patches don't work? Sounds strange..oh and go easy on her in the beginning

-tek

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/08/04 06:14 PM

Well when I punch up bank 2 patch 2 or bank 2 patch 7 or bank 3 patch 4 I get nothing through my speakers. But when I play them through my headphones with the volume all the way up I het a faint string like sound from all three of these patches. The buttons work fine just those three patches. Like there is an internal curcuit problem or the pacth got erased or what I have no idea?

Other then that it works fine. Well apart from the control panel on the left side of the keyboard is a little loose.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/08/04 07:40 PM

Well, try wacking the damn thing using a piece of heavy furniture. It works on Lysdexia like a charm. Should also work on a JUNO106.

I think the patches got erased or overwritten somehow, so don't worry about it too much. I'm pretty sure it's easy to get a hold of JUNO106 presets somewhere. Even if it means sleeping with a few old ladies...

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/10/04 07:24 AM

I am NOT going to whack my keyboard with a piece of furniture. Yea I kind of figured a couple of the patches got erased. Weird?

Of course you realize this was not my frist choice for a synthesizer, but my second.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/10/04 07:56 AM

Try writing over those problem patches first, and if they still don't work .... it's probably a cleaning issue.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/10/04 04:17 PM

Second choice?
I'm really lost now..hmmm
What was your first choice again?
Was it a mini, a .com synth or ...karma?

Definitely try what Uncle Dave's suggested.
BTW My earlier "advice" about wacking JUNO with furniture was a joke (Me and my tasteless sence of humor)

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/10/04 10:10 PM

Okay so I will not confuse you ed,

Actually it was this:

Minimoog, Juno-60, Juno-106, Korg Polysix, .Com and last was the Karma.

Though I never was serious about the Karma.

I am not a keyboard player and yet I have a keyboard? Where did I go wrong?

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/10/04 10:27 PM

So did you try overwriting those "silent" patches?

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/11/04 06:32 AM

Um no I did not. I have noting too write over them, with.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/11/04 07:19 AM

Heh.

"If I only had a brain" -Sandra Bullock in Miss Secret Agent

-tek

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/11/04 07:57 AM

Um! OKAY? I'm confused??

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/11/04 10:08 AM

Can I use the 106 with some of today's software synths or is the MIDI Implemintation too old on the 106 too work with say NI's soft synths?

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/11/04 10:11 AM

Tek...
What hurts?

Paul!
What do you mean you have nothing to write over those patches with... You have OTHER sounds on your JUNO, right?
So select one of the sounds that sounds OK and try to save it to the "silent" memory location...C'mon...

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/11/04 10:18 AM

Oh? well I'm not too concerned about a couple of dead patches.

Oh and I just realised I canocet hook the 106 too my computer. Since I do not have a MIDI USB converter.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/11/04 10:26 AM

Well, even if you're not conserned with a couple of dead patches...Look, it only takes two seconds to try what I'm suggesting.
Less time than it takes to go to the bathroom ...
Why not try it?
I mean it's your synth man, at least make sure that everything works.

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/11/04 11:34 AM

Actually I don't think they are dead. I plugged some headphones inand turned the volume up an could hear a faint sound. So it may not be dead. Dave could be right, maybe something in there need cleaning, but I don't know. I'll figure something out.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/11/04 08:04 PM

Don't take it so seriously. I just thought it was funny when you said you have nothing to write them over with. Some people would probably want even more patch locations, than the limited amount on the 106.

Not in your case, Paul. Oh no..you don't have enough patches to write over those slots. Hehe.

-tek

edit: no typos here, move on

[This message has been edited by Saddam Hussein (edited in the year 2525).]

[This message has been edited by tekminus (edited 01-12-2004).]

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/12/04 05:46 AM

Heh, Hey I( hade an ARP AXXE with some stiff moving sliders and two that were snapped off, and I am supossed to be concerned about a couple of non working patches?

I don't sweat the small stuff.

It's all small stuff. Heh heh
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/13/04 01:26 AM

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/13/04 09:58 AM

Okay well I fixed those three dead patches by createing my own patches and then saving them to the ones that were dead. The frist one was not too hard. When I moved the sub slider up I got a tone and then went from there makeing a sort of flute like sound. The second one was not too hard I plugged in a pair of headphones and turned the volume up to get the faint sound from the patch. From there I just tweaked it till it was just right trying too match close the sounds on either side of the dead one. The last one took a little while longer, but I did manage to get something that I liked. So now I have all the patches working on here.

Oh, one other thing while I was working on a patch for 34 I kept getting a lot of static through my speakers from the keyboard. Any idea why? Becuse the other banks do not cause this to happen. Just Bank 3 in group A. Maybe there is something that needs cleanning? I don't know. But I am not too concerned, if it gets worse or other sounds get staticy I will get the keyboard fixed.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/13/04 10:10 AM

When you hear static, is there a strange tingling sensation in your fingers,a funny smell of something burning and that odd feeling in your head? Is there smoke coming out of anywhere? If yes, then you're on the right track!

Well, actually I cant really tell you if it needs cleaning or not, but I'd eventually take it to the shop to just check if everything is OK. Meanwhile, enjoy the healthy 110V and be glad that even though humanity is completely ****ed up, we still were able to invent electricity.

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/17/04 07:53 AM

No! I don't get any strnage tingleing in my arms or smoke pouring out from the synth. Maybe the Output jack needs to be cleaned out.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/17/04 09:44 AM

I assume the unit doesn't feel very hot either?
I find the whole thing strange, 'cause you say that only some patches sound staticy...
If they all sounded staticy, then it would be an output issue, but since some do and some don't it's pretty weird...
I'd definitely take the thing to the shop and have it checked out. Might save your life or an extra 911 call and a visit by fire department (that I'm just joking about).
-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/17/04 11:10 AM

Well, more of the patches are getting staticy too.
Posted by: skellis

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/17/04 05:29 PM

I just got a HS-60 (Juno 106 with internal speakers) off ebay and it gets alot of static after it warms up for about 10 minutes. Likewise this thing should go to the shop for a cleaning I guess. Any idea how much that should/could cost?

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/17/04 06:15 PM

Well, it all depends...
If it ain't to dirty and messed up and your repairs guy is not someone who charges for nothin'...
Roughly...starting at $50 and up.
If it's real bad...up to a couple of hundred $s.
If there's smoke comin' out of the unit and it's just about to blow up...just throw it away! As Tek says "We live in a disposable world". BUt I hope that's not the case with your unit.
Make sure that your guy uses compressed air to remove all the dirt and dust. SOme of them like to use other stuff, so it takes them a LOT longer to clean everything out.

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/17/04 06:25 PM

Thanks for the advice. I just heard back from the owner that he hasn't used the board in over 2 years and it didn't act that way when he last used it. I guess the only other question is will "cleaning" the board really solve the problem or likely to be a problem in the circuitry requiring more extensive/expensive work? Also, do these boards have a grounding problem? Eg, the power cord has clearly been soldered into the back and isn't grounded. Therefore, maybe everyting inside the board not grounded either. Seems like I might be able to fix such a problem.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/18/04 01:16 PM

Has the cable been soldered on at the factory? If yes I WOULDN'T mess with it if I were you.
In many cases grounding only adds unwanted hum and noise. I had to use cheaters (VERY dangerous) to lift the ground in my old studio every time I was using tube amps and some of my older analog synths. If the cable has been soldered on by the original owner, then do yourself a BIG favor and take it to the shop.
BTB
Internal circuitry can be pretty $$$ to fix. It cost me about $350.00 to replace the mother board on the mentioned 01/W...
Had I waited a bit longer to fix it it would've eventually fried completely. WIth sparks, smoke and the whole show...
Try not to wait for to long.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 01-18-2004).]

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/19/04 01:14 AM

I agree that you should try a ground lift adapter to see if it is mains hum that you are hearing.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/19/04 08:24 AM

Looks to me like it was soldered on by the original owner. What do you mean, "lift the ground"? Would that be running a ground wire from the board case to the ground prong on the cheater plug?

BTW I know that it needs to go to the shop but I'm considering returning the board to the previous owner for refund since I can't be sure I can limit the fix to under $100. For that kind of money I can get a different board in better condition. I love bringing things back to life but not sure I can justify the expense in this case.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/19/04 02:45 PM

You've got it. That's what they call lifting the ground.
Well, I thinkg you better return the board to it's original owner. I wouldn't deal with something that's been re-soldered by an amateur... No sir.

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/20/04 10:12 AM

Okay, now that I have a keyboard, what do I do now? I mean I don't consider myself a musician, well at least not like most of you guys on here. ED, tek, morph too name a few. See the most I know is chords and some scales but that's it. I don't even have a musical style? Do you guys have any suggestions?

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/20/04 03:38 PM

Well,what do you want to do?
Do you want to be a musician? If not, then don't buy keyboards. Give JUNO to your best friend Ed. You don't need it.

Ok, my real suggestion to you is:
Figure out WHAT you want. We at synthzone CAN'T do it for you. I already suggested that you start trying to play by ear. Just pick your favorite tune and try to play it. IT's gonna be hard at first, but will eventually become easy. Pick some simple melody. Don't try too hard, but do try . Otherwise, why even have a keyboard?

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/20/04 03:56 PM

Use your imagination. It's the only requirement needed

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/20/04 09:20 PM

Well you are right there ed. I mean I can play a few simple melodies, but when I get right down too it. I really don't play the damn thing. It does sit here more then get used. Maybe it was a mistake for me too buy it. I think I may have jumpped the gun here again. I saw a bargin and I could not resist passing it up. God I feel like such an idiot. I feel lika a person who owns a piano and never really plays it just has it as a piece of furniture. I really thought I would leran to play the thing but I never did. Also I feel intimidated by this thing as well espically the keyboard. BTW: ed, I thought you had a juno-106?

That's the problem machine, I really don't have much of an imagination, when it comes to playing keyboards.

I should have gotten a Roland MC 303 instead of this Juno-106. I have always like drum sounds, and rythms, and looping. Plus the fact with the MC-303 you really don't need to play per-se. Becuse everything is done for you.

If you really want too know the truth. I find that a keyboard is more of a hinderence then a helpful tool.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/20/04 11:35 PM

You can still do all that with your Roland you know.

I'm assuming you are using a computer if you post here so you should have a game port on it too, then thats your midi port.

Get an game adapter cable with midi in/out and you're set.

Theres a whole world of software you can get for free off the net and not be limited by the actual Juno sounds and capabilities you might be unhappy with.

Lots of knowledgeable and qualified ppl here. Just ask the right questions and you'll get the right answers.

good luck

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/21/04 06:58 AM

Well Machine, I have a more advanced computer then what I previously had. I don't have a game port on the back that would take the type of MIDI cable that I have. Becuse the serial port on the back is too small. All of the ports for periferals are USB ports. So I would have to get a MIDI USB cable (if there is such a thing).

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/21/04 07:29 AM

There are about a thousand different ways to add midi to your computer. You can do so by either adding an external USB/Serial/etc interface or installing a midi/audio card, using PCI slots (or the new PCI slots, whatever the hak they call 'em there). FOr details ask PC users, 'cause I only use MACs.

BTW I used to have a JUNO, but that was years ago.

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/21/04 08:00 AM

I don't think hooking the juno up to my computer is the answer. I only use about 1% of my brian when it come to music playing. Playing by ear does not work for me because my brain can not reintepret a piece of music back acorss a keyboard. Also it can not reinterprut sheet music across the keyboard. Even when I sit down to just play my mind is a complete blank. Everything that comes out is just random notes with no real progrssion. It's not just with keyboards, it's all musical instuments.

I have zero musical ablity. I can appericate someone else's music, but when it comes to my own playing, forget it!

Ed you were right, it was a mistake for me to get a keyboard in the frist place.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/21/04 06:50 PM

Hang on man. I didn't mean to be too harsh there. I'm sure there is a reason why you like synths and electronic music. I can understand how playing a few scales and chords can be boring. I can also see how being able to play only random notes without getting any musical results is frustrating for you. I'm also pretty confident that with a bit of an effort and time this can change. You don't need to work too hard on it. Give yourself about 5-10 minutes a day to sit down in front of your JUNO and try to play.
One thing that really helped me ,when I was learning how to play by ear was trying to play to another piece of music. I'm not sure if doing something similar will work for you, but I think you should try it.
Cheer up though, enjoy the JUNO. It's not just a keyboard, but a great synth. So tweak up some nice sounds and explore what that baby can do.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 01-21-2004).]

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/21/04 10:06 PM

Well the reason why I like electronic music goes back to an episode of Sesame Street. Where Steve Wonder was the Guest and was showing off his keyboards to Grover Monster. I was impressed by the sounds comming out of these insturments. They were not like traditional musical instruments. Also they were not the typical instuments found in rock music. Also listening to Switched on Bach got me more an more interseted, as well as a class in electronic music in high school, plus subscribeing to KEYBOARD magazine. This became a hobby to me. I also wanted to learn more about synths and electronic music.

The other reason was that I had always wanted a synthesizer. Becuse i never really saw them as musical instruments. SO-B changed all that for me. I thought that playing a synth would be more fun then playing the paino which I spent year playing. Actually I had learned to play keyboards or even th organ I would ahve kept up with my playing and been better now then I am. I remember my mother telling me I had to learn to play the piano, before playing the organ. Ans since the piano was all my parents had, that and the fact they were not going to spend the money to buy me a home organ, let alone a synthesizser.

Also the music I was learing to play was classical, BOREING!!! So I never really persude it. I even tried a vraity of learning techniques but nothing seemed to help. Even buying different keyboards did not help.

I even figured I would try and make my own experimental music. I like experimantal music. I have a CD on Experimental Musical Instruments called: Gravichords, Whrilies and Pyrophones.

Also when I frist laid eyes on a Minimoog that's what really got me too want to have my own synthesizer. Basiclly becuse of all those knobs.

Now that I have a synth, even though it's not the one that I wanted, I feel that I should be obligated to learn to play it. Evn my father said I should.

Trying not to get frustrated and dsicouraged is really hard for me.

You know I was just about to give up the whole thing and just say forget it, it's not worth it. Also since I never had much encouragement to continue to play I have not wanted to even bother trying. I figure since no one else cares why should I.
Posted by: MORPH!

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/22/04 01:30 AM

To everything we learn, there is a beginning. For all of us, the first thing we learned how to do was breathe outside air.
I have such a great memory [(quack)now that's a real laugh.]
I remember now, I was in a delivery room at Queens Memorial Hospital in New York.
Suddenly,there was this bright light. It hurt. But then I began to seethese cool awesome patterns and fuzzy images. It was interesting compared to the same old darkness of where I came from. What really sucked was when I had all this fluid coming out of my mouth. They were draining me! Then somebody flicked me and I got startled and gasped air. Wow that was cold stuff. It hurt. This guy was messing with me, no doubt admiring my given equipment (quack!)hey! Quit it you perv! I spat up about a cup and got him right in his hair. Yeah! That stopped him. Then I realized from that time, besides it being really cold, well, sort of but not really cold, but anyway it wasn't so bad out here after all. In fact I believe I am the one in control of everything around here. Say what? huh? who? you're kidding. You are going to call me Peter? Oh man that really sucks. Well hmm I guess it's not half bad anyway. You say the chicks will like it when I get older? Yeah, whatever dude. Well I'll say this much, It beats being a Dick anyway. Maybe not by a lot, but at least a Dick is one thing I'm not. What's this thing hmmm mmmmm hey now I really like this a lot! What is this stuff mmm I like this place now, Im getting good at hanging out, out here.
Wow this is pretty cool I actually like being out here now that I have one of these in my mouth mmm good stuff.
Paul, we were all newborn at one time, entering our current enviroment makes for over 400 adaptations to a newborn. Not very comfortable at first having to adapt that much that sudden. In fact, understandably, most newborns are downright pissed off when they are born. Delivery doctors worry about babies that aren't irritable the first half hour to hour. They have to suddenly operate something that was not needed before. The lungs. They get good at it quite quickly, and reap the new rewards from it, like milk. Whenever we are new at something, our enthusiasm begins at a low point and our learning curve at its high point. What happens is we begin to understand how it works and our enthusiasm rises the longer we observe and not yet touch, the higher our enthusiasm rises, yet our learning curve does not drop. It drops when we begin our attempt physically at what we see and understand. My advice is to touch the keyboard only to learn exactly what you are touching. Learn the named notes of each key. Enharmonically too( Ab/G# or C#/Db.)Then locate the position of these on the Treble Clef. Get the feel of that key by closing your eyes and feel the spot where it is on the board. Make note of the gaps. What you will simply learn are jumps and hurdles with your fingers across these "gaps". It will happen sooner than you think especially if you want your hand to be a good gymnast at these hurdles. That is when your hand begins to dance. Even to the most basic moves. You will realize that its cool becuase the outcome(no matter how corny or horrible sounding) are notes. If you change the sequence of how your hand dances so does the music change. First things first though. Drill to know where your fingers are to where you know without even looking. It can take a few weeks even. Make it so that you can place your hands on the board and know exactly each letter name note and where it is on the staff paper treble clef too will be very helpful.
By taking the time to do this first you will put yourself at a great advantage over someone who just knows a pattern of keys to push to play a tune.
I am glad you feel uncomfortable and irritable because that is the beginning of the change process. You may spit in my hair and tell me that I don't care. I expect this at this time. I ask only one thing, and that is to have tenacity. Drill yourself, be your own policeman get to know the board and it will be a friend soon enough. You are a keyboardist just as I am. When we work at our skill, our rewards follow, allways.Rejoice for the knowledge to come. You will learn to recognise and know just as you know which is the brightest star in the sky. It will soon become more and more natural as you progress. The rate of your progression at this time means nothing. The quality of your progress means everything. Absorb and make your physical actions very slow . The less you make physical incorrect actions now by learning high quality the eaiser it will be later to learn quickly with best agility. touch the keyboard only correctly with full knowledge of what keys you are touching.That moment you touch the keyboard blindly and know the key your finger is on, this is your first skill of a keyboardist completed.
Lastly, dont get confused. we all want to have fun on the keyboard and we all will. you have to work just a little. You don't give the biscuit to the dog before the trick do you?

[This message has been edited by MORPH! (edited 01-22-2004).]

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/22/04 03:40 AM

Morph fantastically put........

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/22/04 06:56 AM

Well I see what you mean morph. Man I am surprised you could remeber that far back. I thought most people can remember only as far back as the age of 5? Anyway, to get to my main point. I can play some music, I have managed to play a few christmas charols, though not in the same manner in which they were written or are usually played. Mostly complex chords. No I have been able to break them down into something a little more easier for me too play. I have doen this with a few other tunes as well. So I know that I can at least play something, even though it's not fantastic. Mind you I am not trying to be Elton John. Well I am not even trying to come close to sounding like you or ed. You guys have had more experience and many more yaers at playing. Sometimes on the rarest occasion I have been able to make up a piece of music. Although it was on a particular keyboard. I made up a little jazz type of peice, but have only been able to play it one a Casio CTK-711EX kayeboard. I have never been able to play it on any other keyboard. I think it's becuse of the auto acompaniment. Though most of the auto accompaniments suck. Mind you this is Casio we are talking about. No, offense to Casio and Casio users out there. I also had a piece that could only be played on a Roland JX-305. Now that had more professional sounding sequences (auto accompaniment). But with out those backing acompaniments I just cant translate them to my juno. Maybe I have just grown too acustom to haveing a back up band. It's the same when I play a groove box, I come up with all kinds of pieces of music. But with the juno it's totaly different, I have to go back into the more tradional style of playing.

I have notcied that if a musician is doing some serious playing, 9 times out of 10 they are playing a piano or an organ, and on occasion a keyboard. (sometimes it's a keyboard with a piano or organ sound built in). The otheres are just playing a few chords. I remember seeing some early concet fotage of Roxy Music and Brian Eno was playing a Minimoog, but he was just playing random notes. Mostly odd noises not music. Pink Floyds keyboardist (don't know his name) did the same thing. Now I have seen musicians do some serious playing on a piano an synth. Take the Capitan and Tinel( insert laugh here) I have seen Daryl Dragon play a complex chord progression on a piano and a simple melody on a synthesizer, Toni Tinel would due the same on a piano and minimoog. If you listen to "Love will keep us together" You will here what I am saying. {go ahead and laugh if you want, but I like the Captin and Tinel, not that I have any of their albums).

But then you have artists like John Cage and Philip Glass. Who broke the mold of tradtional playing and created some of there own unique pieces. Although Glass's work does sound a little more musical then Cages. Though neither has ever been or ever will be here on mainstream radio. Even some of the early pioneers of electronic music. Like Valdimir Usachesvkey, and Edgar Verse to name a few. Most of the early electronic music was a lot of random notes and sounds, and noises in a musical colage. I should know I have three albums, two LP's and a CD of early electronic music. From the late 1950's to the early 1970's. a dm ost of these guys did not have any formal training in music. Well they may not have attended Juliard or Peabody Conservatory, but they had learned a little about compostion.

So to sum up, some synth keyboard players will play tradtionaly ex: Elton John, some will play non traditonal ex: Philip Glass, and some will just play what ever they feel like ex: John Cage. So in a sense I can play a little of all three, the problem I have is trying to figure out where I fit in?

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/22/04 09:26 PM

I think I need to stop approching playing a synth the same way I would play a piano.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/22/04 11:04 PM

ENO used a Putney with Roxy not a Mini

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/23/04 06:00 AM

Oh! Hmm! I thought I saw him playing a mini as well. oh well, Guess I was wrong.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/23/04 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul-61:
I think I need to stop approching playing a synth the same way I would play a piano.

You just figured that out?
BTW Everyone used a MINI.

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/23/04 09:50 AM

Okay! So it took me a little longer to figure that out. I did not know that playing a synth was totaly differnt from playing the piano.

I wish the 106 had more effects then just chours.

BTW: I am still determined to own a Minimoog. Be it either a classic one or a voayger.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/23/04 11:57 AM

Well, I oftem play my synths like a piano anyway. So it's not such a big deal. As far as FX, I recommend you get yourself a used Boss SE70 and a cheap mic. That little box's got lots of nice modulation FX, nice multi-FX algorithms and it's got a Vocoder.
I still remember the day I tryed playing with the vocoder for the first time...COOL!
I set there for hours and hours goingg singing all those funny kraftwerk tunes getting nasty feedbacks and phone calls from my poor elderly neighbors, who were just about dead from listening to my "version" of Trance Europe Express, Radioactivity, Autoban...It was lot's of fun!

You ever played with the Vocoder Paul?

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/23/04 12:03 PM

No I can't say that I have, played a vocoder.

I even considered buying a microkorg, before getting the 106, but I got the 106 at a better price.

[This message has been edited by Paul-61 (edited 01-24-2004).]
Posted by: Heyoop

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/25/04 12:00 AM

Paul,

Get a flute.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/25/04 08:46 AM

A flute? I can't play a flute? I have a problem blowing into the mouth piece.

Well I opened up mu juno to see what was causeing the static. But it is clean inside, could not find any dust. I think the ports may need to be cleaned out. I know there is a reaming tool designed to go into the ports themselves.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/25/04 10:00 AM

Opened the JUNO eh?
No dust eh? Oh well, don't worry, there will be...
FLute sucks. Blowing is for girls.
Although playing a tuba can be lots of fun.Especially if you want your neighbors to move out. Works like a charm.

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/25/04 10:26 AM

Well I have very little dust in my condo. It's not 100% dust free, but I have a Filtrite Filter in my furnace that removes 99.9% of dust particles in my house. Also I manage to keep my carpets vaccumed on a weekly basis.

Oh I did find some damage on the front of the keyboard underneath the joystick board. There is a strp of metal that runs along the front of the keyboard. Anyway I found that one of the corners got bent. Other then that everything else is alright and functioning properly.

This is not the frist time I have opened up a synth to see what was inside. I opened up my omni when I found out it did not play. That thing was full of dust. So I cleaned it out, but still it did not work. So I had it repaired. Did the same thing with my AXXE, but I could on remove the bottom. But there was no dust either.

Well older synths tend to have there quriks anyway.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/25/04 04:58 PM

Paul,
If you are pretty confident in your understanding of synth circuitry or at least basic electronics then opening/cleaning etc. JUNO is cool. If not...do yourself a favor and take the poor thing to the repair shop. It often costs more to repair the damages caused by amateur "repairs" then having a professional fix the problems in the first place. I learned that the hard way. Just giving you my thoughts.

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/25/04 07:50 PM

Well I have some backround in electronics, but not enough to do any serious work. I was just courious to find out what might be causeing the static in my synth. If there was something other then dust like a cracked curcit board or whatever I would have a por fix it for me.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/27/04 08:56 AM

Well I am starting to play chords at the moment to get the feel of them, plus I have edited a few sounds to my likeing. Mostly doing atmosphers, just letting my mind flow freely, and listening to the chord changes and slow progressions. Mostly I am useing string sounds to create the effects that I want. Ed was right as long as I don't over anaylize my playing it does tend to come naturally. If I do this sort of playing for a couple of minutes a day I might be able to star getting a little more chorent structure. Right now it's mostly randomness, though I have managed to work a few pieces out, though not sounding just right. It's mostly experimental. I am still trying to devlope my particular style of music. I don't want to go the tradiotnal route of playing, becuse that is makeing me more frustrated and discourageing. If I break away from this I am able to come up with what i want. Though I would not really consider it music, more like sound paintings. At the present I am making my music the same way Jackson Pollock painted.

There are some other sound areas I do want to explore and different ways of createing my sound scapes. I know it's not Depeche Mode or Jean- Michale Jarre. And I would not lable it New Age. It's really hard to explain. It would be more like let the listener draw their own conclusions. If you have ever listend to early electroinc music from the 1940's 50's 60's and 70's you might get a hint of what I am createing. Don't expect anything spectaular, If you try to breakdown or even anaylize my music. Forget it! Becuse It is never played the same way twice. Even though my mind is a blank I just let my brain waves speak for themselves.

So for right now I am just createing sonic sound paintings.

I would also like to explore ryhtms and drum beats. I may eventually get a Roland MC-303. Sampleing has fascinated me as well.

[This message has been edited by Paul-61 (edited 01-27-2004).]

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/28/04 04:46 PM

Alright!
Now you starting to sound like a synth player, instead of synth junk collector . If you get a kick out of playing slow pads and ambient type drones/noises, it would really help if you had some FX to add more depth and may be extra modulation to the sound. Look for anything that is at least a dual FX processor that would do a nice long Delays and Flange/Phaze FX. Stay away from cheap pedals and lo-fi stuff. There are lots of old and affordable high end Multi FX processors out there.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 01-28-2004).]

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/28/04 11:37 PM

Yes, To OB-ED-3351 you listen

unlearn you must

If not, All is lost

[This message has been edited by Soft Machine (edited 01-28-2004).]
Posted by: MORPH!

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/29/04 04:17 AM

I have been in the backround readingto seehow this would develop.
Firstly Paul, I was joking when I said I remembered the delivery room, However, That is the scenario for the newborn, typically.
I am sure Ed will agree with me in that playing a piano which is a strung Harp instrument (take a Harp and lay it flat (sideways)and hook up a felt hammer mechanical system to it (keyboard) and whalla, there you have it, a piano. (for the most part)) is for sure an instrument that you rythmically strike and play with several hand techniques so for sure a piano is played. Depending on the patch and features of a keyboard, it can be possibly played almost the same way, OR a keyboard can be setup to play a sequence of notes for you to a certain extent or chords/ sounds, ect. While you are having a keyboard do things like this for you, you are not exactly playing anymore like a piano. Now you are beginning to OPERATE the electronic musical instrument. Too many people out there are thinking that it is easier than a piano because it can "play for you". Play for you my ass is what I say! No synth will play shit unless you are able to OPERATE it.Pianos are only played and keyboard synths are played and or operated. That's not the only way either, it can be triggered in so many ways. You said that you have begun playing chords. That is great.Just make sure that your hand is in the proper position to play the chord. It will make it much easier in the long run. When you play a chord, also learn to play its inversion too.Slowly things will begin to make more sense.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/29/04 08:15 AM

Well, I can play the inversions as well, morph. See I really can't play fast. If I had arrpegiatro to do the left part i probbably go play a little faster. But the 106 has no arrpgeiator, since roland eliminated it. (Bummer). I wish I could plau Pieces Like Rockit, or Axcel F or even the Theme from Miamai Vice, but I am not skilled enough to play this way. I fi wanted to play fater i would look for something other then another keyboard. Maybe a Groove Box.

I'm glad I made you happy ED! It's nothing maltiplatinum or record breaking. But it's just my own. I'll look into getting some effects devices.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/29/04 08:38 AM

Yes, yes...OB-ED-3351!
To not do so is ungeard of .

Morph!
You're damn right about the piano.

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/29/04 08:44 AM

Okay! I'm confused??? shocked or is that just an inside joke.

Go greif this topic is up too 3 pages now!

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/29/04 09:08 AM

Well, Soft Machine kinda suggested that my post sounded like a command as in oppose to a suggestion. So you can say that the "OB-ED" thing is an inside joke .

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/29/04 10:23 AM

Ah! Ok! Thought so!

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/29/04 01:02 PM

I was Yoda talking

Obi-wan, OB-ED-3551 hehe

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/29/04 02:21 PM

Okay! I don't get it?

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/29/04 03:53 PM

Well, now I get it...
You'll have to forgive me Soft Machine.
It's been a while since I've seen Star Wars.
But it is always flattering to be compared to the great OB-wan.

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/29/04 05:46 PM

well at least some one has gotten it.

As Much as I have been enjoying my Juno-106. There is still this part of me that wants too have a Minimoog, and maybe even a .com synth. At some point not right now. Actually I really want a minimoog. I have not even given up on the porospects of owning one. If I ever get an oppertunity to spend the money to buy one I will, I would proabbly give up the Juno for a Minimoog.

ED, now don't freak out on me here! I really do love my juno very much and it is a wonderful synth, but it's not the exact synth that I want. But I am going to make the most of it until I finaly get enough money to afford a mini. Unless by some strange coincidence and this is even a remote possibility that the one I thought I bought last year pops up. Though I doubt that very much.

Also becuse the Juno is a preset synth, and the Mini is not. Oh sure I can change the prestes on the Juno too suit my needs, but I don't want too do that until I find a copy of the preset sounds on tape. So In case I do sell the Juno off, who ever buys it can reload the sounds back in. Or at least have them on back up.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/29/04 06:43 PM

So young Paul Skywalker, it is the minimoog afterall...
Why doesn't the young master want to keep all of his musical tools?

Do not underestimate R2-JUNO. Lots of power in it. You may want to keep it after you'll get your Mini-D2.

OB-ED-3351

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/29/04 06:58 PM

Hmm1 Maybe if I had a few other toys to go along with the juno, I would be more apt to keep it then to part with it. Hmm after all not everyone makes music with just one keyboard. You know If I add a another synth and some effects units and such I could have a bigger canvas to works with, with lost of different colors. Besides I should start living up too my nicknames. Synth-freak and analogcontrolfreak.

YES, YES I WANT TOO FEEL THE POWER I WANT TO HAVE MORE SYNTHS< I WANT IT ALL. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! [didabolicaly laughter].
Posted by: Benno Kattenat

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/29/04 07:19 PM

i still have my JUNO 106, also my JX 3P, A TX 7,THEY ARE IN MY museum UPSTAIRS , THE JX was my first midi BOARD, YEAP EVERYTHING IS CHANGED TO DAY, BEST REGARDS BENNO

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/29/04 08:03 PM

I miss my JX-3P. I even had a programmer with it. Wasn't there a rackmount version made? Planet 5 or something?

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/30/04 12:05 AM

Paul please dont start that S*** again

think about these word ' NO Remorse, No Regret'

I passed up to go on the road with for high sums of $$$. I passed up a CS80 without knowing cuz i found it ugly. i overlooked many a hammond consoles.

I seem to recall you had pretty cool synths too.

And sorry to say, but a Juno106 is hardly a 'preset' synth. & ED was right, Everybody played a Mini even me

So watcha complaining about!!!

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/30/04 05:10 AM

Somehow I guessed this would come back around to haunt us........ I warned all of you months ago when I registered

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/30/04 06:00 AM

No, I am not starting this s... over again.

ED set me straight!

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/30/04 06:32 AM

It is the force that sets us all straight young one.

OB-ED-3351

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 01/30/04 10:13 AM

Good point Machine! There were a couple of synths that I wish now that I haden't gotten rid of. Like the K5000s, at leat it had knobs and arppgeiator, plus it had a good keyboard feel.

I was just kidding, I am not giving up my 106. I'm silly, not stupid. I think what i need to do is expand the sound range and add some color in the form of effects to my 106. I wish I could process the 106 through my omni, but I don't think that's possible.

ed suggetsted that I look for some effects pedals and modules. Like delays, and fuzz boxes.

BTW: If any one has any efcts units that they are not useing, send them my way I'll make use of them.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/03/04 02:07 PM

Hey Paul,
My G4 died...again...
Funny enough it was working yesterday without a glitch and then all for sudden power supply failed..again. Damn Apple!
Oh well,
All I can do for now is bitch about my favorite MACs in other people's threads. Although I'm considering opening a thread called "**** Apple", but I'm too damn nice for that.

Anyways, what's happening with the whole JUNO thing? I hope it's not gathering dust

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 02-03-2004).]

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/03/04 08:29 PM

HMM! Maybe you shoul consider buying a new computer.

As for the Juno-106, no it's not collecting dust, but it's not getting used either. I just haven't been inspired, to come up with anything. Sorry! Right now it's just sitting on my spare bed in my office.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/03/04 09:36 PM

New computer, eh?
I thought about getting one of those cool looking G5s. The only problem is...I won't be able to run OS9 on those. I still need to use old OS for some older synth editors (like the one for the Yamaha FS1R).
But...you're probably right. Buying a new computer is better then having to drive the damn G4 to repairs all the time. Inspiration is like the force. One day you dot it - then you don't got it.

It's a good thing I'm no longer with my band. Otherwise I'd have to drink and ...other things (just like Mr Keith Richards) to seek inspiration.

As for making music, I haven't written anything myself lately. Same deal - no inspiration. So you're not alone on that one bro.

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/03/04 09:58 PM

Maybe if I added some other pieces of hardware to add some color to my 106 I might get more inspired. Maybe a couple of stompboxes, and an effects unit, a pedal or too. I mihgt even get a Midi Controller keyaborad and some software synths.

I should pull out omni as well.

You know you could look for a second hand apple that is simmialr to the one you have.

Oh yeah, I was reading in Keyboard mag. A compnay called G-Vox is resurecting Retro Software. Such as Paaports Master Tracks Pro, Encore and Music Time.
http://www.gvox.com

Actually I have a Copy of Master track Pro for the Apple IIe. But the softawre and the computer don't work anymore. My fater has two old IIe's that have bad disdrives, the ceased to work.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/09/04 09:09 AM

Hey ED,

Hav you considered buying a Juno-106 yourself?

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/09/04 11:29 AM

As much as I love synths like the JUNO 106, I don't currently have anywhere to put them. At some point I'll sell off some of my older gear and then I'll look at getting other synths and modules.

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/09/04 08:33 PM

I did not realize you had so many synths?

What about the .com? You still plan on buying one?

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/10/04 07:57 AM

I'm planning to get a .com synth in April - May at the latest. I already cleared up some space for it in my living room.

-ED-

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/10/04 09:32 AM

I would love to have one myself, but you know me with the way I change my mind so many times what with wanting a different synth all the time. Even if I did buy one for myself, I don't have the money to spend to buy a complete system. I would have to buy a Piece at a time. I still want too have a minimoog. But can't always have everything, or what I want.

It's too bad we don't live closer to each other. We could combine our resources and make one massively huge synth. Like Malcom Ceicle's Tonto.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/10/04 10:56 AM

That would be cool!
Actually I often think of my studio as basically one giant modular synth. When you have that approach to setups things like polyphony and multitimbrality do not really matter. But those things wouldn't matter to anyone who has more then 30 synths !

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/14/04 03:40 AM

get yourself a Leslie 147 for your Hammond

I have a M-3

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/14/04 06:09 AM

I don't Have a Hammond Organ.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/17/04 09:36 AM

Good News! No more staticy patches. I think waht was causeing the problem was that I had too many things pluged into a single power strip. The computer, DSL modem, a digital cammera and the juno. The two power transformes I beleive were causeing interference with the juno. So I bought a seperate power strip just for the computer, modem and digital cammera. I plugged my juno into another power strip, and turned my juno back on and ran through the patches. No more static. All this time it was those power transformers, and not something internal.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/17/04 11:22 PM

Paul-61 what is it you think you are missing having the Juno 106 rather than a MiniMoog ? Is it the tuning instability or monophonic restriction ? The MiniMoog will have a fatter monophone tone but really if you are not musically inspired by the Juno then I think the MiniMoog will disappoint you as well. Both keyboards are great musical tools but without musical inspiration they will be nothing more than paperweights. Personally I find the Roland Juno series very inspiring to play on and I have spent many hours doing just that.

It is great you have solved the static problem. Maybe now you may be more inspired to dig into what the Juno can do.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 02-17-2004).]

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/18/04 06:53 AM

I just wanted to own a minimoog, because I happen to love synthesizers. It's not a matter of musical inspriation, but just fact that I want one. If I was looking for musical inspration, why on earth did I buy the juno?

The real reason for buying the juno was one, I thought it was a cool looking synth, two this one was at a good price $280.00. (Could not pass it up) Three, I thought it would get me playing keyboards, but saddly it did not. I'm funny when it comes to this sort of thing. It's like someone who buys a valuable piece of art only for the monetary value and not becuse they like art. I got it more for it asthetics then for it's playability. Which BTW is not the wisest descion on my part. This would porbabaly hold true for the minimoog, though I don't know.

The only peice of electronic music hardware that I ever really enjoyed aside form the Minimoog, was Roland's MC-303 groovebox. I remember playing one once in a music store in Baltimore Maryland. All I did was press a button and listen to what was coming out, then I pressed a few more until I got something I liked. Without too much thinking or effort, but just letting the music flow out of whatever was in my head. But instead of buying a groovebox I bought a keyabord instead. I bought a JX-305 groovesynth, thinking it would be better then the groovebox. HA! Boy was I ever wrong. I bet if I bought the groovebox instead of the groovesynth I would playing it. Instead I sold the groove synth to find another replacement.

I think I should get away from keyboards in general, becuse obviously they are not helping me to be inspired musically.

I bet if I had been around in the late 60's and early 70's I porabbly would have bought a Buchla synth instead of a moog. Becuse the buchla system used touch pads instead of a tradtional style keyboard. I think it maybe the keyoard that is giving me so much of a problem that I force myeslf to play tradtionaly instead of just letting the music flow.

Granted the Minimoog has a piano keyboard, but I was to own on keyboard synth that would be it.

[This message has been edited by Paul-61 (edited 02-18-2004).]

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/18/04 01:29 PM

Paul you make me laugh so much my sides ache!
Having a Groovebox does not in any way make you a musician and what ever was flowing out your head as "you" say was not "your" music but pre-programmed beats and tunes. If you had taken the time and effort to actually learn your JX-305 Groovesynth you would have been able to virtually create the same type of stuff on that!

I am tired of listening to you pitiful whinging about owning a Moog because to be honest you probably would not even be inspired to learning the first thing about it. You need to go back to basics and learn about sound creation and subtractive synthesis this would give you a foundation to start from.
Why do you not get yourself enrolled on some kind of synthesis course at a local College or University, people there will be only too willing to help you and then you may come to understand what the hell you want from keyboards eventually!

"Fed up" Sanvean signing off forever over and out!

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/18/04 07:29 PM

JUNO, groovebox,Buchla ...kazoo...keyboard, no touch pads..whatever man.No one is obligated to be a programmer or a musician to own any of that stuff.

Paul,
Musician or not, Good or bad...You seem to enjoy synths and like them enough to spend money on them So I don't see any harm in you getting a groovebox. I mean you'll most likely get sick of it at some point, but who cares - have fun NOW.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 02-18-2004).]

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/18/04 08:39 PM

You know what I will get what I dang well please. If I want a groovebox, then dang it I will get a groovebox. If I want a minimoog, then dang it I will get one. I fi want a Paia Fatman then dang it I will get one.

If you don't like it, I don't really care.

It's my LIFE and MY money.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/19/04 01:36 PM

This synth is prorbably a good MIDI controller too. I have a bid in for a Paia Fatman Synth. I figured I could use the 106 to control the fatman.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/22/04 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 3351:
Paul,
I mean you'll most likely get sick of it at some point, but who cares - have fun NOW.
-ED-
[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 02-18-2004).]

I guess the thing that surprises me is that Paul-61 really doesn't seem to be having ANY fun with his synth. Maybe he would have been getting a Roland Groove Box instead of a conventional keyboard based synth.
Posted by: Bluezplayer

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/26/04 07:08 AM

Paul,

You have a computer obviously. Perhaps a suggestion. Before you spend the money and then find out you don't like the equipment maybe this would work for you. If you have anything in the computer that would serve as a Vst / Dxi instrument host, you could download a demo of Arturia's Mini Moog V and play around with it to see if you like the sounds. I just tried it and since there won't be any real mini moog here any time soon, I'm buying the softsynth. It sounds awesome.

In fact, I think it's standalone too, so you wouldn't even need a Vst host program. It's a close enough emulation that Bob Moog himself endorsed it and worked with Arturia on it.

Groove boxes.. OK.. try Arturia's "Storm" demo. It's on the low end of the spectrum for software grooveboxes, but it's simple to use and it comes with some preprogrammed beats. Other soft synth / groove machines that have demo's include Cakewalk Project 5, Reason, reaktor, Orion Platinum.. etc etc.

If you like this stuff, then maybe the hardware stuff will be up your alley as well. Maybe these programs will help you to make a more informed decision.

By the way, my Poly 6 couldn't touch this Mini Moog software synth in a lot of ways, but I still miss it and wish now I hadn't gotten rid of it.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 02-26-2004).]

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 02/26/04 08:08 AM

Thanks AJ, that's sound advice. I will look into downloading a demo version of Arturias Moog V.

Re: Bought a Juno 106 - 03/03/04 10:13 PM

Hay Paul!
I just got my PC back...well at least for now. The metwork card is still messed up, so I connect via USB for now.
.com synth plans are looking good. I've also decided to build the system one thing at a time. Well, more like 3-4 modules at a time. Should be more fun then getting a monster synth full of modules and having to learn all about them right away..

BTW
My e-mail accounts are still disabled (G4 is in repairs and PC is kinda bouncing in between my home and a repair shop...). Well with a bit of luck and patience I should have my computer nightmare out of the way soon.
Anyways, just saying hi. Did you check into NLP yet?

-ED-