SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#417203 - 02/22/16 11:25 AM If you are wondering...bang for the $$$
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Last Sat, I stopped in at a guitar shop(Flatland Guitars) in Fargo ND; the business is relatively new within the past few years. I've known the folks who started the store for a few years now...a great luthier and knowledgeable guitar salesman.

They had a Taylor 614CE sugar maple guitar for sale. The guitar listed for about $4,300 and was on sale for around $3,200 with case.

Now, I've owned about 12 Taylor guitars(series 300 or better) over the years. I also had part of a Taylor guitar dealership in the 90's.

I just loved the sound of this Taylor 614 CE guitar. But I also realized that changes in sound...on acoustic guitars...is at best subtle.

On the other hand, if I were to spend that $3,200(or more) on a new keyboard, say a Korg PA 4X, I would gain a whole new world of styles and voices.

Anyway you cut it, bang for the buck, has to go to keyboards for what you get for the money.

By The Way

Won't buy it, but just looked at a Kevin Ryan acoustic... On his website..$32,000

I've been a fan of Kevin Ryan acoustic guitars over the years...he is just a wonderful luthier as is Terry Kennedy(I have one of his guitars).

http://kennedyguitars.com/

Edited by guitpic1 (02/22/16 11:34 AM)

#417204 - 02/22/16 11:57 AM Re: If you are wondering...bang for the $$$ [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

It depends on the keyboard..

Compared to some grand piano's guitars are really cheep..

Some vintage synths also go for over €10k like the jupiter 80 or the SC80

And then there is churchorgans really priceless..

Makes me wonder why someone would ever spend that much money, if a workstation can get them all in one and some of the best guitarsounds on top of that... Nothing beats a keyboard...

Unless you are at the beach staring at a campfire withs some beatifull girls around you and a half empty bottle of Jack D. Thats where a simple guitar outshines any keyboard.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#417207 - 02/22/16 12:56 PM Re: If you are wondering...bang for the $$$ [Re: Bachus]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Bachus

Makes me wonder why someone would ever spend that much money, if a workstation can get them all in one and some of the best guitarsounds on top of that... Nothing beats a keyboard...

Really Bachus? I have only played accordion and KBs, but as much as I enjoy and appreciate KBs, I would think that if I really played another instrument such as a guitar, I would certainly prefer that over emulating one on a KB ... JMHO

#417208 - 02/22/16 01:05 PM Re: If you are wondering...bang for the $$$ [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My 59 Strat, for which I paid $532.00 is now worth over $30,000.00. Even my 82 reissue of a 52 Tele is worth over $4500.00 (new cot: about $700.00).

That does not happen with keyboards. They depreciate like crazy...especially ones with the latest programming.

Look at Tommy Emmanuel or our member Rory Hoffman to see instrument flexibility.

Play what you want, but let's not fail to give the lonely guitar it's due. In my case, I give it to all 300 plus of mine.

And, I appreciate the way more than 7 figures I have made over the years on appreciation. Add to that the depreciation I have been able to take FOR THESE appreciating INSTRUMENTS AND YOU HAVE A WINNER!

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (02/22/16 01:06 PM)

#417232 - 02/22/16 05:30 PM Re: If you are wondering...bang for the $$$ [Re: captain Russ]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
if you play a high End Acoustic you will know why they are the price they are they sound and play better by far but most are concerned to play them live esp in clubs because you never know what will happen at the place I play regulary there is another musican that plays there too he has a Eastman Acoustic prob around 7500 he was on a break a jack ass grabed his guitar and headed out the Door luckly the security caught him but that could of been a diaster for him .

#417245 - 02/22/16 08:57 PM Re: If you are wondering...bang for the $$$ [Re: tony mads usa]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Originally Posted By: Bachus

Really Bachus? I have only played accordion and KBs, but as much as I enjoy and appreciate KBs, I would think that if I really played another instrument such as a guitar, I would certainly prefer that over emulating one on a KB ... JMHO

No, i dont mean that, if i could afford it, i would have a real steinway grand in my livingroom, and i allways wished i would have taken the time to kearn some guitar ... I also used to play some trumpet in a dweilorkest, but never touch it anymore...

http://keyszone.boards.net

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online