SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#4241 - 01/25/04 10:00 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Opened the JUNO eh?
No dust eh? Oh well, don't worry, there will be...
FLute sucks. Blowing is for girls.
Although playing a tuba can be lots of fun.Especially if you want your neighbors to move out. Works like a charm.

-ED-

#4242 - 01/25/04 10:26 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I have very little dust in my condo. It's not 100% dust free, but I have a Filtrite Filter in my furnace that removes 99.9% of dust particles in my house. Also I manage to keep my carpets vaccumed on a weekly basis.

Oh I did find some damage on the front of the keyboard underneath the joystick board. There is a strp of metal that runs along the front of the keyboard. Anyway I found that one of the corners got bent. Other then that everything else is alright and functioning properly.

This is not the frist time I have opened up a synth to see what was inside. I opened up my omni when I found out it did not play. That thing was full of dust. So I cleaned it out, but still it did not work. So I had it repaired. Did the same thing with my AXXE, but I could on remove the bottom. But there was no dust either.

Well older synths tend to have there quriks anyway.

#4243 - 01/25/04 04:58 PM Re: Bought a Juno 106
3351 Offline

Paul,
If you are pretty confident in your understanding of synth circuitry or at least basic electronics then opening/cleaning etc. JUNO is cool. If not...do yourself a favor and take the poor thing to the repair shop. It often costs more to repair the damages caused by amateur "repairs" then having a professional fix the problems in the first place. I learned that the hard way. Just giving you my thoughts.

-ED-

#4244 - 01/25/04 07:50 PM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I have some backround in electronics, but not enough to do any serious work. I was just courious to find out what might be causeing the static in my synth. If there was something other then dust like a cracked curcit board or whatever I would have a por fix it for me.

#4245 - 01/27/04 08:56 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I am starting to play chords at the moment to get the feel of them, plus I have edited a few sounds to my likeing. Mostly doing atmosphers, just letting my mind flow freely, and listening to the chord changes and slow progressions. Mostly I am useing string sounds to create the effects that I want. Ed was right as long as I don't over anaylize my playing it does tend to come naturally. If I do this sort of playing for a couple of minutes a day I might be able to star getting a little more chorent structure. Right now it's mostly randomness, though I have managed to work a few pieces out, though not sounding just right. It's mostly experimental. I am still trying to devlope my particular style of music. I don't want to go the tradiotnal route of playing, becuse that is makeing me more frustrated and discourageing. If I break away from this I am able to come up with what i want. Though I would not really consider it music, more like sound paintings. At the present I am making my music the same way Jackson Pollock painted.

There are some other sound areas I do want to explore and different ways of createing my sound scapes. I know it's not Depeche Mode or Jean- Michale Jarre. And I would not lable it New Age. It's really hard to explain. It would be more like let the listener draw their own conclusions. If you have ever listend to early electroinc music from the 1940's 50's 60's and 70's you might get a hint of what I am createing. Don't expect anything spectaular, If you try to breakdown or even anaylize my music. Forget it! Becuse It is never played the same way twice. Even though my mind is a blank I just let my brain waves speak for themselves.

So for right now I am just createing sonic sound paintings.

I would also like to explore ryhtms and drum beats. I may eventually get a Roland MC-303. Sampleing has fascinated me as well.

[This message has been edited by Paul-61 (edited 01-27-2004).]

#4246 - 01/28/04 04:46 PM Re: Bought a Juno 106
3351 Offline

Alright!
Now you starting to sound like a synth player, instead of synth junk collector . If you get a kick out of playing slow pads and ambient type drones/noises, it would really help if you had some FX to add more depth and may be extra modulation to the sound. Look for anything that is at least a dual FX processor that would do a nice long Delays and Flange/Phaze FX. Stay away from cheap pedals and lo-fi stuff. There are lots of old and affordable high end Multi FX processors out there.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 01-28-2004).]

#4247 - 01/28/04 11:37 PM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Soft Machine Offline

Yes, To OB-ED-3351 you listen

unlearn you must

If not, All is lost

[This message has been edited by Soft Machine (edited 01-28-2004).]

#4248 - 01/29/04 04:17 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
I have been in the backround readingto seehow this would develop.
Firstly Paul, I was joking when I said I remembered the delivery room, However, That is the scenario for the newborn, typically.
I am sure Ed will agree with me in that playing a piano which is a strung Harp instrument (take a Harp and lay it flat (sideways)and hook up a felt hammer mechanical system to it (keyboard) and whalla, there you have it, a piano. (for the most part)) is for sure an instrument that you rythmically strike and play with several hand techniques so for sure a piano is played. Depending on the patch and features of a keyboard, it can be possibly played almost the same way, OR a keyboard can be setup to play a sequence of notes for you to a certain extent or chords/ sounds, ect. While you are having a keyboard do things like this for you, you are not exactly playing anymore like a piano. Now you are beginning to OPERATE the electronic musical instrument. Too many people out there are thinking that it is easier than a piano because it can "play for you". Play for you my ass is what I say! No synth will play shit unless you are able to OPERATE it.Pianos are only played and keyboard synths are played and or operated. That's not the only way either, it can be triggered in so many ways. You said that you have begun playing chords. That is great.Just make sure that your hand is in the proper position to play the chord. It will make it much easier in the long run. When you play a chord, also learn to play its inversion too.Slowly things will begin to make more sense.

#4249 - 01/29/04 08:15 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I can play the inversions as well, morph. See I really can't play fast. If I had arrpegiatro to do the left part i probbably go play a little faster. But the 106 has no arrpgeiator, since roland eliminated it. (Bummer). I wish I could plau Pieces Like Rockit, or Axcel F or even the Theme from Miamai Vice, but I am not skilled enough to play this way. I fi wanted to play fater i would look for something other then another keyboard. Maybe a Groove Box.

I'm glad I made you happy ED! It's nothing maltiplatinum or record breaking. But it's just my own. I'll look into getting some effects devices.

#4250 - 01/29/04 08:38 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
3351 Offline

Yes, yes...OB-ED-3351!
To not do so is ungeard of .

Morph!
You're damn right about the piano.

-ED-

Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online