SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 12 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 >
Topic Options
#4231 - 01/22/04 06:56 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I see what you mean morph. Man I am surprised you could remeber that far back. I thought most people can remember only as far back as the age of 5? Anyway, to get to my main point. I can play some music, I have managed to play a few christmas charols, though not in the same manner in which they were written or are usually played. Mostly complex chords. No I have been able to break them down into something a little more easier for me too play. I have doen this with a few other tunes as well. So I know that I can at least play something, even though it's not fantastic. Mind you I am not trying to be Elton John. Well I am not even trying to come close to sounding like you or ed. You guys have had more experience and many more yaers at playing. Sometimes on the rarest occasion I have been able to make up a piece of music. Although it was on a particular keyboard. I made up a little jazz type of peice, but have only been able to play it one a Casio CTK-711EX kayeboard. I have never been able to play it on any other keyboard. I think it's becuse of the auto acompaniment. Though most of the auto accompaniments suck. Mind you this is Casio we are talking about. No, offense to Casio and Casio users out there. I also had a piece that could only be played on a Roland JX-305. Now that had more professional sounding sequences (auto accompaniment). But with out those backing acompaniments I just cant translate them to my juno. Maybe I have just grown too acustom to haveing a back up band. It's the same when I play a groove box, I come up with all kinds of pieces of music. But with the juno it's totaly different, I have to go back into the more tradional style of playing.

I have notcied that if a musician is doing some serious playing, 9 times out of 10 they are playing a piano or an organ, and on occasion a keyboard. (sometimes it's a keyboard with a piano or organ sound built in). The otheres are just playing a few chords. I remember seeing some early concet fotage of Roxy Music and Brian Eno was playing a Minimoog, but he was just playing random notes. Mostly odd noises not music. Pink Floyds keyboardist (don't know his name) did the same thing. Now I have seen musicians do some serious playing on a piano an synth. Take the Capitan and Tinel( insert laugh here) I have seen Daryl Dragon play a complex chord progression on a piano and a simple melody on a synthesizer, Toni Tinel would due the same on a piano and minimoog. If you listen to "Love will keep us together" You will here what I am saying. {go ahead and laugh if you want, but I like the Captin and Tinel, not that I have any of their albums).

But then you have artists like John Cage and Philip Glass. Who broke the mold of tradtional playing and created some of there own unique pieces. Although Glass's work does sound a little more musical then Cages. Though neither has ever been or ever will be here on mainstream radio. Even some of the early pioneers of electronic music. Like Valdimir Usachesvkey, and Edgar Verse to name a few. Most of the early electronic music was a lot of random notes and sounds, and noises in a musical colage. I should know I have three albums, two LP's and a CD of early electronic music. From the late 1950's to the early 1970's. a dm ost of these guys did not have any formal training in music. Well they may not have attended Juliard or Peabody Conservatory, but they had learned a little about compostion.

So to sum up, some synth keyboard players will play tradtionaly ex: Elton John, some will play non traditonal ex: Philip Glass, and some will just play what ever they feel like ex: John Cage. So in a sense I can play a little of all three, the problem I have is trying to figure out where I fit in?

#4232 - 01/22/04 09:26 PM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think I need to stop approching playing a synth the same way I would play a piano.

#4233 - 01/22/04 11:04 PM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Soft Machine Offline

ENO used a Putney with Roxy not a Mini

#4234 - 01/23/04 06:00 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh! Hmm! I thought I saw him playing a mini as well. oh well, Guess I was wrong.

#4235 - 01/23/04 09:12 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul-61:
I think I need to stop approching playing a synth the same way I would play a piano.

You just figured that out?
BTW Everyone used a MINI.

-ED-

#4236 - 01/23/04 09:50 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay! So it took me a little longer to figure that out. I did not know that playing a synth was totaly differnt from playing the piano.

I wish the 106 had more effects then just chours.

BTW: I am still determined to own a Minimoog. Be it either a classic one or a voayger.

#4237 - 01/23/04 11:57 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Well, I oftem play my synths like a piano anyway. So it's not such a big deal. As far as FX, I recommend you get yourself a used Boss SE70 and a cheap mic. That little box's got lots of nice modulation FX, nice multi-FX algorithms and it's got a Vocoder.
I still remember the day I tryed playing with the vocoder for the first time...COOL!
I set there for hours and hours goingg singing all those funny kraftwerk tunes getting nasty feedbacks and phone calls from my poor elderly neighbors, who were just about dead from listening to my "version" of Trance Europe Express, Radioactivity, Autoban...It was lot's of fun!

You ever played with the Vocoder Paul?

-ED-

#4238 - 01/23/04 12:03 PM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Anonymous
Unregistered

No I can't say that I have, played a vocoder.

I even considered buying a microkorg, before getting the 106, but I got the 106 at a better price.

[This message has been edited by Paul-61 (edited 01-24-2004).]

#4239 - 01/25/04 12:00 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Heyoop Offline

Paul,

Get a flute.

#4240 - 01/25/04 08:46 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Anonymous
Unregistered

A flute? I can't play a flute? I have a problem blowing into the mouth piece.

Well I opened up mu juno to see what was causeing the static. But it is clean inside, could not find any dust. I think the ports may need to be cleaned out. I know there is a reaming tool designed to go into the ports themselves.

Page 7 of 12 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online