SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#410967 - 11/07/15 01:26 AM Are the TOTL Arrangers Really Advanced?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Or are we just deluding ourselves with manufactures just selling us mutton dressed up as lamb.

Here are 2 recordings from 1988 (Almost 28 years ago) using the keyboards available at the time

Select

Like a Classic

You decide

Bill

#410970 - 11/07/15 04:19 AM Re: Are the TOTL Arrangers Really Advanced? [Re: abacus]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Wow! These sound quite good, especially the Classical one.
Hard to believe they're from 28 years ago.

Are these built-in keyboard demos?

Is the Classical one a Roland?

I think you've made an interesting point!

Edited by Mikem (11/07/15 04:20 AM)

#410971 - 11/07/15 04:40 AM Re: Are the TOTL Arrangers Really Advanced? [Re: abacus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Was a Kurzweil involved here? Sounds much too realistic for a normal instrument of 1988 for my ears. Korg M1 sounded worse. And the M1 was the most advanced, sample-based synthesizer of that time that was still affordable.

Edited by rosetree (11/07/15 05:09 AM)

#410972 - 11/07/15 05:15 AM Re: Are the TOTL Arrangers Really Advanced? [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
Was a Kurzweil involved here? Sounds much too realistic for a normal instrument of 1988 for my ears. Korg M1 sounded worse. And the M1 was the most advanced, sample-based synthesizer of that time that was still affordable.

I originally asked if it was a Kurweil, but then edited my post to read Roland. That's because his header asks if TOTL ARRANGERS are really advanced, not TOTL WORKSTATIONS. As far as I know, Kurzweil did not make any arrangers 28 years ago.

I was also thinking that perhaps the Classical demo was from Technics.

#410973 - 11/07/15 05:27 AM Re: Are the TOTL Arrangers Really Advanced? [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The title may be slightly off, however Midi is involved which is the staple of all arrangers. (Styles are just Midi loops unless audio) I was also tending to focus more on the sound where manufactures are claiming to have made great strides.

The player is still very popular today.

Bill

#410974 - 11/07/15 05:30 AM Re: Are the TOTL Arrangers Really Advanced? [Re: abacus]
rosetree
Unregistered

So this wasn't from an arranger from 1988. I was sure it couldn't.

#410975 - 11/07/15 05:35 AM Re: Are the TOTL Arrangers Really Advanced? [Re: abacus]
Mikem Offline

That makes sense, now. So I'll stick to my original post, before I edited it, and say that the Classical demo was made with a Kurzweil. smile

#410976 - 11/07/15 05:36 AM Re: Are the TOTL Arrangers Really Advanced? [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

[quote=
I originally asked if it was a Kurweil, but then edited my post to read Roland. That's because his header asks if TOTL ARRANGERS are really advanced, not TOTL WORKSTATIONS. As far as I know, Kurzweil did not make any arrangers 28 years ago.

I was also thinking that perhaps the Classical demo was from Technics. [/quote]

Arrangers at that time were never as advanced in sounds as the ground-breaking sample-based synthesizers like M1. Otherwise Yamaha could have dumped their FM-based Electone organs very quickly... I still have some cassette recordings of my Electone and later Electone + SY-55 from that time... That's why I thought a synth has to be involved here.

#410977 - 11/07/15 05:42 AM Re: Are the TOTL Arrangers Really Advanced? [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
[quote=

I was also thinking that perhaps the Classical demo was from Technics.

Arrangers at that time were never as advanced in sounds as the ground-breaking sample-based synthesizers like M1. Otherwise Yamaha could have dumped their FM-based Electone organs very quickly... I still have some cassette recordings of my Electone and later Electone + SY-55 from that time... That's why I thought a synth has to be involved here. [/quote]

I remember that time well. I was in a Montreal store in 1989 and saw the Korg M1, and also the Roland U-20. I bought the U-20. I somehow liked it better, for my needs.

You're right about arrangers back then. I wanted one, but didn't find anything, except those big, expensive organs which played accompaniment, and also a small arranger-type module. It only played a few parts at a time. I don't remember the brand.

#410980 - 11/07/15 06:38 AM Re: Are the TOTL Arrangers Really Advanced? [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

How old is the B3?........I rest my case..

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online