SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#410202 - 10/26/15 03:15 PM Re: Georgia [Re: guitpic1]
cgiles Online   content

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
SD7 sounds great. Don's vocals sound great. But that's not what's important here (yikes, here it comes). That tune is melancholy and bluesy and needs to be done that way. The chord structure helps but every decent rendition is peppered with little soulful 'licks' and blues-tinged accents (on piano, sax, even strings) and that's what gives it it's character or 'feel'. If you're going to do this song on an arranger keyboard you MUST add the 'spice' yourself (as Don has done here). Without it, no matter how good your vocals, it's not going to hack it. At every break in this tune, it cries out for a little soulful riff.

Good job, Don. Now about Willie. Who says he's underrated? He's always been one of my favorites and about the closest I'll ever get to having a Country hero smile. Of course, his image, persona, and social attitudes had a lot to do with that. The man wrote tons of hit R&B tunes during the 60's and 70's for Black artists during that era (little known fact).

I was a little suprised at how good that SD7 Sax sounded, but I think I prefer the Roland trumpet. Just an opinion, though.

chas

#410205 - 10/26/15 03:49 PM Re: Georgia [Re: DonM]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By: DonM
So happens I recorded Georgia recently on the job, using Ketron SD7.
http://donmasonmusic.com/Georgia.mp3

Don, nice.

Confirms for me there are as many versions of the song as there are folks performing it.

Don, do you record each performance?

I've been thinking of doing that. Thing is I think video would be he most help, since, as Gary points out, we are entertainers.

Most of my audiences return based on my ability to entertain them...not my musical skills.

I want to consider myself a musician. And, as a musician, I want to improve my musical skills. But I also realize that, for the most part, my audiences are much more concerned about being entertained than how good my rendition of a song is.

Now I should mention:

My daughter and her husband are trained(college educated piano players)musicians. They are very concerned about the quality of their music. But it's also true that they earn their living doing something other than music.

My brother has taught vocal music(and is a trained piano player) for over 40 years. He has told me that he would struggle to generate income as an entertainer although, as near as I can tell, he is as good as anyone I see on TV.

smile

Edited by guitpic1 (10/26/15 03:52 PM)

#410207 - 10/26/15 04:03 PM Re: Georgia [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thanks for the comments.
I do record myself every job. Not every song, because I do a lot of the same songs every night. I have a Tascam DR-05 recorder. I run a Send from my mixer left and right into the two stereo channels on the recorder. Since everything, including mic goes through my keyboard and then mixer, the recorded mix will be exactly what is sent to my speakers.
If I weren't so old, fat and ugly, I'd do more video.
About this particular song. I am not totally familiar with the SD7 yet. I had a request for Georgia. I picked a Swing style, used the one-touch sounds and the default tempo and took off. I would ordinarily do it just a little slower.
Because of the way arrangers work, it is sometimes difficult to do a lot of quick left-hand changes, so the notes you add with the right can be used to sort of complete the chord. I like what Chas said about Pepper, because it's like you are adding a little seasoning to a good steak to make it even better.
There are better trumpet and sax sounds on board.
Chas there are LOTS of things I like about the Rolands. Just today I was listening to a recording of myself from 2006 on the G70. It sounded live and full, especially the drums and horns. Too bad they don't seem to be serious about arrangers any more. With just a LITTLE help the BK9 would have been a great arranger. It's pretty darn good as it is.

#410210 - 10/26/15 04:24 PM Re: Georgia [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Ya gotta give Boo one thing....he is a stalwart supporter of the essence of good music and the need to "spread the word".

Me, too. I believe it is my job to not only play tunes the public likes, but to educate the public to appreciate great tunes.

I want them, for instance, to be exposed to little known material of substance.

To do that, I play smaller jobs, to people who are listeners, rather than drinkers. That means less $$$$. It's worth it.

I'm not just talking jazz. Recently, I've been talking about "How Do You Keep The Music Playing", and "Just Once"; neither are jazz songs, but more Broadway type tunes. But they're beautiful musical structures. And, to do them right, you have to be better than average and study/work harder.

Sometimes, as Chas reminds us, the beauty is in the interpretation. Listen to "A House is not a Home", or "Superstar", by Luther closely, sometime. How about "Song For My Father" by Horace Silver?

I believe my job is more than just playing requests.

Am I wrong?

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (10/26/15 04:25 PM)

#410212 - 10/26/15 04:39 PM Re: Georgia [Re: guitpic1]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Someone should find Rory Hoffman's version of "Autumn Leaves" to demonstrate the importance of outrageous talent and interpretation.

I'm so proud of my friend for developing this level of excellence.

Russ

#410213 - 10/26/15 04:43 PM Re: Georgia [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Someone should find Rory Hoffman's version of "Autumn Leaves" to demonstrate the importance of outrageous talent and interpretation.

Russ

#410215 - 10/26/15 06:20 PM Re: Georgia [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
You rat! You never did tell us you found that 4th chord! Oh and what about the 10th through the 15th chord too, eh? Ha ha. I wish I could see you guys again. Now I'm tied up with Drew's puppy Miss Piggy and her Puppy my Gemma. Hard to figure out how to travel with two English Bulldogs. Penny doesn't even want to try. If it happens I'll be like Gary all alone, but Gary's a tough old "SAILOR" friend.
Sounds fine!

#410216 - 10/26/15 06:59 PM Re: Georgia [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ah, my southern cohort did another fantastic job, and with a non-country song. As Usual! smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#410218 - 10/26/15 09:10 PM Re: Georgia [Re: Dnj]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: captain Russ

Russ

Well that did it. It's too late now, but first thing in the morning I'm taking my F250 loaded with 3000 lbs of sand and running over my sax till I run out of gas. A guy with a cowboy shirt improvising like that. Geez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#410227 - 10/27/15 06:22 AM Re: Georgia [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Boo, I guess for a jazz aficionado Rory's rendition was fantastic. However, if I were to play that song the same way, using a guitar or an arranger keyboard, my audiences would toss me out on my ear. It's as if Rory was trying to hit as many notes as possible in the shortest period of time. That said, his dexterity is beyond belief. I've never seen hands move that fast and accurately in my life. It's a rare talent to be sure. So, unload that sand and put the truck back in the garage. And, I'm not gonna use my keyboard for an artificial reef. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online