SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#408157 - 09/11/15 01:59 PM Performing for Seniors?
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Put this out on the PSR Tutorial forum as well....

Anyone performing for mostly seniors? I mean nursing homes, assisted living etc? What's are your experiences like? Any special issues to deal with?

Tx

#408162 - 09/11/15 02:15 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Learn CPR.

chas

#408168 - 09/11/15 02:41 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I don't know if anyone here has ever had to administer CPR during a NH or AL gig. They usually have staff members for that ...
other than issues with Activities Directors, you will find these audiences the most appreciative you will ever play for ...

#408169 - 09/11/15 02:52 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
As most people know, I won't play "for Profits" , because I find them to be total hell holes, when it comes to the level of care they provide and the extent to which they fight any regulation that will cost them money.

Instead, I work with an advocacy group to pass laws to address the situation. And I play one job a week and donate the proceeds to my advocacy group, making me the largest donor.

Around here, the people who play nursing homes couldn't work anywhere else. I made a trip every day, 7 days a week to the two nursing homes my in-laws were in for 14 years. I couldn't believe some of the people who showed up to play. UGH!

Of course that's not the case everywhere. I have listened to some members here who play the nursing home and assisted living circuit, and they're excellent and really believe what they 're doing.

I fully support them.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (09/11/15 02:54 PM)

#408174 - 09/11/15 06:21 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I only played occasionally not every other week as some folks here on the forum . I have to admit that only one place did I deal with the same AD m ore than twice. Every other place had a new one that would call and say I'm so and so the new director at so and so and I see your name on a list and wanted to see if you would be available on such and such a date. Around here they change AD's as often as you have lunch. I'm in Western Colorado. The old folks loved all the old standards I played. The AD's were 25 to 30 years old for the most part and I soon figured out that they would rather have a three chord guitar player instead of me.

#408175 - 09/11/15 06:44 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: brickboo]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: brickboo
Around here they change AD's as often as you have lunch. I'm in Western Colorado. The old folks loved all the old standards I played. The AD's were 25 to 30 years old for the most part and I soon figured out that they would rather have a three chord guitar player instead of me.

ADs 25 to 30 years old?!? ... that's a heck of a job for someone that age ..
I don't work THAT many different places, but at the ones I've worked most have had the same ADs for at least the past 4 years, and they are in their 40s and 50s ... and I really don't care about what the ADs might like to hear as long as they keep hiring me to play what the RESIDENTS want to hear - which lately is some 40s, but more 50s and 60s (Beatles) ...

#408187 - 09/12/15 05:14 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: tony mads usa]
guitpic1 Offline

Tx for the replies. Interesting thoughts. Playing for seniors is quite a business around here as this area is quite a retirement center. Pay is not that great but the work is steady.

I just started this senior gig as a solo and could play up to 6 - 8 times a month without leaving this small town I live in. There is more business out of town.

The AD's are pretty easy to get along with and I sure get a lot of hugs and positive feedback from the residents....couldn't justify doing this if I wasn't retired though.

Most of my music is 40's, 50's & 60's. Seems old time country is big around here.

Tx for the responses.

#408189 - 09/12/15 06:52 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

Tony, you're not getting it. This is a different planet for many reasons. The 25 and 30 years olds I'm sure, work for far less pay than the 60 year olds who have plenty of experience. The young uncaring AD's don't necessarily hire who the residents like, and thus may be the reason for such a quick turnover in the AD department. The young kids (The AD's) have friends, tons of them that sing and play guitar for free or very cheap. When they change AD's often (why would I lie to you friend), you do not get to know them. They do not build a pleasant rapport with you, there is no bond you are just another name on a list that they stumble upon.

I hoped that this would be self explanatory, but I guess it's being read from an argumentative position. That's not why I replied. I merely did what the person asked and told my experience in a different environment than where you Yankee Easterners work. You can't get $75 here let alone $150 for a nursing, retirement home type gig. It's a $50 gig over here in this world. That's why I don't care and gave it up. I'd rather walk my puppies.

#408192 - 09/12/15 07:27 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Well it's a different story here in Maryland. The AD's are paid very well and have been at the same place for several years. Some of them move around and take the better entertainers with them. I make between 100 and 150 per hour. Due to health considerations I am doing 10 to 15 shows per month. There's a lot more out there. Some guys are doing 25 to 30 shows per month. Good luck with it.

Joe

#408195 - 09/12/15 09:49 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Joe and I work the same circuit, though I perform 6 to 7 days a week most of the time, and frequently performed doubles at least 2 days a week. I've been working the senior circuit for the better part of 20 years, and it was balls to the wall during the entire time. Unfortunately, health issues have been creeping up on this old man, and about a month ago I was forced to retire. While I still get calls nearly every day from someone that wishes me to perform for special functions, at this point I have to turn them down.

The average age of the ADs in my area is probably about 35, many as Joe stated, have been at the same location for many years, and some of the new ones are in their mid to late 20s. Good looking gals, very spirited, eager to do what the residents wish, and constantly looking for good talent. They all have budget constraints, and for the most part, they are able to work within those limitations and still maintain a solid flow of good entertainers on a weekly, and in some instances, a daily basis.

As Russ said, some of the entertainment is sub par to say the least. I've seen them, just as everyone in this business has seen them. Most have no musical training at all, though they sincerely believe they are doing a great job. They tend not to last very long at a single location.

As for the pay scale, when I first started, $50 was the going rate for an OMB entertainer. I accepted that during the first year, but once I had established myself, I raised my rates to $100. Only one location said they couldn't afford me, but they came back to me a few months later and acquiesced to my rate. After about 10 years at $100 per hour, I raised the rate to $125, and $150 for jobs more than 30 miles from home. No one blinked, but when posted this on the Synthzone, a lot of guys thought I was shooting myself in the foot. As it turned out, I guess the locations I was not performing at must have thought I was really good because I charged more than anyone else in the area, so they began calling as well.

At one point I was performing at 52 locations each and every month - an insane schedule. Plus, at least once or twice a month, I filled for a friend at a restaurant job. There was much more work available than I could possibly handle, even if I were just 30 years old.

Now, this doesn't just fall in your lap. I have been very diligent in this business, and yes, it is a business. I do my own marketing, advertising, bookkeeping, accounting, taxes, etc..., all of the things that a successful business must do. This requires as much, if not more, time and effort as doing the actual job itself.

I booked all my jobs a year in advance, and NYE was booked 2 years in advance. I provided all of my clients, and perspective clients, with wall calendars, pens, and a contract listing each and every date when I would perform. I have posted this contract on this and other sites for others to use as a guideline. I never had a single instance where a client refused to sign the contract, I've only been stiffed for a single check, and after a year, was able to collect because I produced the contract with the ADs signature.

Now, Captain Russ says he has some Hell Holes in Kentucky, but in my part of the world, they are few and far between. Most of the assisted living facilities are very clean, the staff tends, at least for the most part, to be caring individuals who are friendly with the residents and the entertainers. The staffers frequently interacted with the residents while I'm performing, get some of them out of the chairs to dance, and it's not unusual for them to walk up front and sing with me, though they don't have a mic. We always had lots of fun, and anytime there was a special event, such as an open house, crab feast, cookout, etc..., I was the very first person the AD would call for entertainment.

Some folks refer to this as the Nursing Home Circuit, but in reality, we perform at only a handful of actual nursing homes. Most of our performances are at assisted living centers, retirement communities and senior centers. They all have budgets for entertainers, and while some have been reduced, others have been expanded. You have to learn to work within those constraints, which sometimes involves reducing the number of performances, while at the same time, maintaining the rate of pay.

On this forum, there are only a few of us that made a full time living working the senior circuit, which even at the lowest rate pays more than the nite club and restaurant jobs. Bill From Dayton always seems to busy in his part of the world, and there's no question that DNJ doesn't let any grass grow beneath his feet as well. My top year was 440 jobs, and if I were a young man, say 50 or so, I could easily surpass that number given the sheer number of new locations opening ever year in my immediate area.

I've read some posts where folks made brash claims that those of us that perform the senior circuit probably couldn't work anyplace else. That, apparently, is a fallacy contrived by someone that considers him or her self an elitist. We've all worked the nite club/bar/restaurant circuits, some of us have worked cruise ships, we continue to do private parties and the occasional wedding, but in most instances, we find the rewards, both emotionally and financially, better while working the senior circuit.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#408201 - 09/12/15 11:43 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: travlin'easy]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I charge 250.00 to 300 for Senior centers over 2 hours assisted Living 100.00 to 200.00 for 1 hour show will NOT PLAY for under that once I did that my calendar has been booked all the time of course I do a resort 3 to 4 night a week it at night the senior centers most are in daytime I had to show the customer what they got for the Money and all feel they get there moneys worth

many will play for 50.00 to 75.00 but the level of Entertainment is just that if you are good and sound the best you can get is the min you should get is over 100.oo per hour , I have built my business by working for it and doing a great show you got to go out every day and do a great show even if it 10 people everybody deserves you best .

now I also do some high end shows as well that pay much larger amounts as well but I keep the calendar full at all times .

#408205 - 09/12/15 02:27 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

I don't give a crap how great you are, if come out here, you'd better be DonM or similar or your a$$ will starve to death. You'll have to come push a wheelbarrow of brick for me so that you won't starve to death.

#408214 - 09/12/15 05:56 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Boo, I wish I were young enough to take that bet, old friend.

Gary cool

#408217 - 09/12/15 09:05 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

Gary, you wouldn't load and unload your gear for $50. Hell you wouldn't even drive to the gig and back and not play if I loaded your van for you for $50. The favorite players around here play for $50 too. Ha ha. You guys are knuckle heads. You're terrible listeners, they wouldn't pay Nat King Cole more than $50 if you'd resurrect him . Ha ha.

#408232 - 09/13/15 05:15 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: brickboo]
guitpic1 Offline

I'm thinking how much $$$ you get for the gig has as much to do with where you are located as it has to do with how good you are.

In our little town, the best entertainers get $25 - $50 a gig. Those same entertainers get two to three times that or more if they are willing to drive to Minneapolis 180 miles from here.

This would be for nursing homes etc....

Now in other venues....

We live in west central MN. heart of the 10,000 lakes country and its a big vacationland/resort country...but only for about 3 months a year.

Playing parties, dances in the summertime; I've got a friend who plays keyboards for a five piece rock group. The charge around $2,500 for a dance and are busy all the time.

Venue, location and when you play make a big difference.

Thing is, I can't even stay awake past 9 pm at night much less play from 9 - 1 pm and get home at 3 am in the morning. frown

#408235 - 09/13/15 07:27 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

Originally Posted By: guitpic1
I'm thinking how much $$$ you get for the gig has as much to do with where you are located as it has to do with how good you are.

In our little town, the best entertainers get $25 - $50 a gig. Those same entertainers get two to three times that or more if they are willing to drive to Minneapolis 180 miles from here.

This would be for nursing homes etc....

Sir, you're not only the most observant forum member here, you are the most intelligent too. Very astute !!! I'm impressed by your explanation. Maybe they would have understood me better if I would have compared it to real estate. It's all about location, location, location.

Here's another hint about the mentality and ignorance about music of the people running and managing things around here. Every Spring we have advertisement for hundreds of miles for a weekend "Jazz Festival." So this woman comes here with three guitar players a drummer and bass player from Denver, she screams that three chord rocking shuffle blues all night, is the big hit of the weekend, and everyone thinks this is a great Jazz Band ! I'm not joking, exaggerating or lying. Thank you sir for explaining this in a way that North Eastern Yankees can understand the situation out here.

How in the hell they won the war is beyond human comprehension. It has to be the money. There is no other explanation. They had more money, because they certainly weren't the sharpest knife in the drawer by a long shot. Ha ha ha !

Can you imagine driving 200-300 miles to a Jazz Festival and you hear a woman screaming 3 chord blues, who's the queen of the Jazz show. I called the producers of the event and told them If I drove 200 miles to hear blues that was advertise as Jazz I'd be a very unhappy camper. I suggested they might advertise the event as a music or blues festival. Guess what she said? She said, "Jazz Festival" has a better ring to it and draws more people." And that folks is what you're dealing with. So all you folks like Chas and Russ, stay away from here. You will starve to death.

#408237 - 09/13/15 08:57 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
boo my post was just to say what I was doing here , but not that you have thrown your comments out there I would be a sucecess any where I would take your on your challange any time and you my friend would be a looser

be careful Boo what you ask for !!!!!

I was simply say what my plan is but if challanged you would be the looser.

#408240 - 09/13/15 09:20 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Boo, face it, very few people want to hear real jazz, at least more than a song or two. On the other hand millions love to hear three-chord blues shuffle songs. Sure it was out of place at a true jazz festival, but the term jazz is tossed around pretty loosely these days, and the audience was just revealing that they liked what they heard, regardless of whether Boo likes it! smile
Even New Orleans Jazz, as you know, isn't the same as other types of jazz. I've heard so-called jazz bands play nothing but Big Band stuff from the 40's all night. Check this list of "jazz standards". Everything from blues, folk, pop, show songs, etc., on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_standards
If jazz doesn't evolve then the remaining fans will all die off and there will be nobody to listen. Are there any jazz songs that aren't 50 years old? Wasn't All The Things You Are written in early 50's? Nothing wrong with old songs; I love 'em, but if you want to interest young people in jazz, then jazz has to evolve. Country music has evolved so that younger people are into it, even though I hate most of it.
R.I.P. jazz as Boo knows it! frown

#408242 - 09/13/15 10:22 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

I agree with everything my learned colleague, DonM posted above. Additionally, as entertainers, we need to provide the entire package, keyboard and vocals, to every, very diverse audience. Without that package, you have nothing to offer both the audiences and staff. Keep in mind that in many locations they have resident's councils that make the decisions of who stays and who goes. They convey this information to the staff. Not only do we perform for the residents, but we also perform for the staff as well. We need to keep everyone entertained in order to garner the higher salaries. And, just like any impromptu performance, you need to be able to read the audience - the entire audience. You need to provide them with a song selection that makes them WANT to get off their ass and onto the dance floor, even if they're physically incapable of doing so. You must have the ability to communicate with individual members of the audience with your vocals, eye contact, body movements and other physical inflections during each song. This is the full package.

Now, you can be the best, Peabody trained musician on the planet, but if you cannot provide the diversity of music, great vocals, plus interact with the audiences, you would be hard pressed to even find a job in any market in the US senior circuit. No AD that I know would pay more than a token amount for a have guitar will travel guy that only provided instrumentals or only sang songs from a single entertainer. I've seen my share of them in the mid-Atlantic region and most are happy to get $50 an hour.

Boo, I'm quite confident that you would loose that bet, and as I stated, if I were a bit younger and a lot healthier, I would make the trip to your neighborhood in a heartbeat, if for nothing else, to meet Penny. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (09/13/15 10:24 AM)

#408244 - 09/13/15 12:22 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Around here 55 is considered a Senior..... Just saying!!

#408246 - 09/13/15 01:40 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Maybe for AARP or some homeowners associations. Other than that and perhaps SS down the road, I consider it merely a state of mind. I will let you know when I get there.

#408248 - 09/13/15 02:51 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: brickboo]
tony mads usa Offline

I hoped that this would be self explanatory, but I guess it's being read from an argumentative position. That's not why I replied. I merely did what the person asked and told my experience in a different environment than where you Yankee Easterners work. You can't get $75 here let alone $150 for a nursing, retirement home type gig. It's a $50 gig over here in this world. That's why I don't care and gave it up. I'd rather walk my puppies.

boo ... surprised surprised surprised ... I do not see what is argumentative about my reply and it certainly wasn't meant to be so ...
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

ADs 25 to 30 years old?!? ... that's a heck of a job for someone that age ..
I don't work THAT many different places, but at the ones I've worked most have had the same ADs for at least the past 4 years, and they are in their 40s and 50s ... and I really don't care about what the ADs might like to hear as long as they keep hiring me to play what the RESIDENTS want to hear - which lately is some 40s, but more 50s and 60s (Beatles) ...

I seldom -if ever- argue on this forum ... I was merely stating my surprise that 25 - 30 year olds are getting those type of jobs out there on that planet you live on ...

#408252 - 09/13/15 04:30 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

All of you can get all the gigs you want out here like I said for $50 a pop. One intelligent person agreed it's all about location. They pay $50 here. They pay $50 here. They pay $50 here. They pay $50 here. They pay $50 here. What part of this can't you knuckleheads understand. Out here and most of america the median income is 30 to 40 percent less than area's of New Jersey, Mass a whatever, Maryland. Maybe that has something to do with it. I just bought a 3 bedroom townhouse two baths 1200 Sq Ft for $89,000. Can you do that in New Jersey or Maryland. It was built in 2000. Everything in it is like new. I rent it for $750. It would probably cost $200,000 where Gary lives and would rent for $3000 a month! No? Let's see if this helps put things in perspective.

#408256 - 09/13/15 07:27 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Boo, I hear ya. And I agree. In my location we have everything from nursing homes, assisted living, independent living facilities who set their own budgets
for entertainment. Some use guys or gals that play for nothing to $50....and get pretty much what they pay for. Others have stepped up to $100 per hr, but
right now that appears to be the top of the tier. Other venues like homeowner associations, fraternal and country clubs are a different animal and pay better....
as long as I don't play Jazz Tunes with 57 chords and augmented minor thirteenths. LOL Just yanking your chain Boo.
Eddie

#408257 - 09/13/15 08:11 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

smile

#408258 - 09/13/15 08:33 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

Eddie I'm sure someone who worked in Hospitals (unless he lied to me) is smart enough to know what I'm saying here. For example: Am I really gonna go through motions of taking a calendar around to retirement centers to book gigs a year in advance and smile and be a super personality for a 25 year old AD who probably won't be there next week maybe for a $50 gig. Hell no!, and neither is any other person on this forum except someone who bought a keyboard recently and has been taking lessons for three months and is chomping at the bit to have an audience. Ha ha

#408273 - 09/14/15 06:38 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: brickboo]
travlin'easy Offline

Eddie I'm sure someone who worked in Hospitals (unless he lied to me) is smart enough to know what I'm saying here. For example: Am I really gonna go through motions of taking a calendar around to retirement centers to book gigs a year in advance and smile and be a super personality for a 25 year old AD who probably won't be there next week maybe for a $50 gig. Hell no!, and neither is any other person on this forum except someone who bought a keyboard recently and has been taking lessons for three months and is chomping at the bit to have an audience. Ha ha

You're wrong,Boo. It's all part of marketing, which makes small business successful. I'll be happy to send you some of my samples.

Gary

#408280 - 09/14/15 08:10 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

Gary you come do it for $50 gigs. I'd rather walk my puppies. You're still not grasping the $50. $50. $50 a gig statement. Go get you glasses old man. A fellow here does Elvis all night and all the other tunes that the general Cowboy walking the street with his Cowgirl likes and he's worked here forever and he can really play what he plays and works the audience and works with band too and he gets $50 for a nursing home. Whoever can't understand this is too? Ha ha

#408283 - 09/14/15 09:05 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Boo, you just reinforced my statements. That Elvis impersonator is no different than thousands of other Elvis impersonators - they're a dime a dozen out there and here too. They'll work for chump change, and the only thing they can do is Elvis impersonations. No diversity, and if you're not an Elvis fan, well, that would get old pretty damned quick.

When I was in the Florida Keys, there were hundreds of have guitar will travel guys. Every damned one of them had a grungy looking, straw, cowboy hat, a beat up guitar they probably got from a pawn shop, a lousy PA system and dozens of 3-ring loose-leaf binders filled with lyrics. They worked, on average, about 3 days a week, and rarely more than once or twice at the same location. They were paid $50 a night plus tips, which on a good night for them, was another $30.

I was told by several people that $50 to $75 a night was the going rate and it was impossible to get more. I put an advertising package together, which included a CD, went to the most expensive place on the island, and presented it to the activities coordinator. We talked for about 10 minutes, she said she would listen to the CD on her lunch break and get back to me. She called the following day, Tuesday, asked if I could go to work Friday night from 6 till 9, and how much I charged. I told her that I would do the job for $200. She hesitated for a second, then said, that would be fine and she would throw in an extra $50 meal credit. After that first night she called and asked if I would be available every Friday night at that price. The audiences loved everything I did, so did the staff at the restaurant/bar and they were saddened when I had to leave to come back north. One waiter, Oscar, gave me a hug and said if you ever come back we will have a job waiting for you. Oscar told Carol on that last night I was there that he made five times more money in tips the nights I performed than he made on nights where the other entertainers were there.

Boo, marketing is a major component of this business. Sure, you can get a few jobs, but as you have experienced, they're infrequent, and often low paying. Do you think that any top entertainer would take less money for providing a performance in a different market area? Of course not! There is no difference in this business. There are still people in my part of the world that only get paid $50 to $75 for working the same locations where I'm pulling down $125 to $150 an hour. And, they're only booked a few times a year, while I'm booked monthly and in some instances, weekly, at the same locations.

There are other key components as well. For the first 10 years of being an OMB performer, I worked in upscale restaurants both in Baltimore's Little Italy and locations outside the Baltimore metropolitan area. I always wore a tuxedo on those jobs, which back then was just 3 nights a week. I constantly got positive comments from the management, staff and audiences on my appearance. When I switched to the NH circuit, I went from a tux to satin shirts, matching tie, black slacks, shiny black shoes and a fancy silk vest. One of the ADs said to me "You are the best dressed entertainer that ever walked through the door here. You really look great and the residents tell me that all the time as well." During the summer months, I wear guyabera shirts instead of long sleeve satin shirts and a tie. Again, this is all part of the marketing, and another reason I command a higher pay scale. I've seen lots of performers that looked like they slept in their clothes or just came from a construction job. They looked anything but professional.

Music selection plays key role as well. Many years ago, DNJ said to me "Never play a song that you cannot dance to." He was right on the money! I don't play the songs you cannot dance to, because those songs do not stimulate the audiences. And, if you are not stimulating that audience, you quickly lose that audience. It ain't rocket science. If, however, you captivate that audience with your music and vocals, interact with them, that is frequently noticed by the ADs, staffers, visitors, and of course the residents. This too allows you to command a higher pay scale then some guy who thinks he's Elvis and plays a mean guitar.

Boo, the cost of housing may be slightly lower in your part of the world, but the cost of everything else is about the same as it is here. Groceries, cars, medications, etc..., are priced about the same throughout the nation. I've lived in the Pacific Northwest, Texas, Florida, and traveled by car through nearly half the states and for the most part, the cost of living only varies in the cost of housing. You're not going to pay any less for a new pickup truck in Colorado then you do in NYC or LA. So, why would you expect to be paid less for your musical entertainment?

All the best,

Gary cool

#408286 - 09/14/15 09:26 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Offline

I won't do it often, but I have to disagree with Don this time.

The market for jazz is "small but mighty". Think of every music school in the nation. Jazz, or at least jazz rotations are at the heart of most of the programs. Music graduates are well-schooled in jazz and end up scattered around the performing and recording universe.

Snarky Puppy, Pomplamoose, Leann La Havas, Esmiralda Spaulding (SP)Dave Grusen, George Benson, Foreplay, Dave Coz...Bob James...the list of people writing performing and recording modern jazz is impressive, extensive and significant.

The Java Jazz fest and others in Europe and Asia draw 100,000 plus audiences,

Consider traditional (what you're talking about), Fusion, modern and experimental) jazz formats.

Jazz is an acquired taste. It's what I do. It takes compromise. I play in a dining room quiet enough not to interrupt a conversation.

But I work...philharmonic jobs, cocktail hours for government offices...corporate events...industrial recordings....as much as I can at my age.

Believe me, jazz is alive, vibrant and a real part of the American and universal music culture.

You just have to work longer and harder at it; sometimes for less money.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (09/14/15 09:27 AM)

#408287 - 09/14/15 09:32 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

Gary, You're only reading what you want to read and hear. The guy is not an Elvis impersonator. He's an entertainer like you. They love him. But like everyone else he get's $50 at the nursing homes too.

#408290 - 09/14/15 09:51 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

$50 doesn't seem like much for a gig...in my case it's a 5 minute drive across town. I play and am back home in two hours. And I usually play twice a month or more at that price. So, my take from that one place for about three hours total(twice a month) is about $100.

I asked the AD what would happen if I upped my price to $75 an hour? She said the would pay it and have me come about once every three months.

Edited by guitpic1 (09/14/15 09:52 AM)

#408293 - 09/14/15 10:07 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

guitpic1, you're the only one on this thread besides Eddie Shoemaker who's paying any attention and making comments that make sense. If you are enjoying what you are doing I'm elated for you! Really I mean it. That's the most important part of entertaining, isn't it? Myself, I had speakers, keyboard, the whole subang. I can't afford the 3 lb bose system. My speakers weight 30+ lbs I think along with extra gear for my sax etc and it got to be too much work for $50. I raised my price to $75 and I played maybe 6 or 7 gigs for that and the phone quit ringing.
Thanks for having the balls to tell the truth. Some people live in La La world and don't have a clue of what's happening outside of their little cube at the VFW hall. Ha ha. I thought of moving to Kentucky and playing with Russ for just the fun of it and maybe something to eat.

The same goes for my buddy SonnyG out in California. Oh and let's not forget about Chas! The same goes for him. It would all be great gigging with those guys and any others of their exceptional talents in the music profession, not just midi DJ entertainers. Anyway they (the Midi & DJ guys) don't want a sax player who can only play one note at a time on the same bandstand with them, ha ha ! Boy this is going to stir up a hornets nest. Ha ha. Now I'm having fun again.

#408302 - 09/14/15 12:25 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I yield to my friend and mentor, mostly because I know very little about modern jazz. All I know is that the jazz clubs open here, don't draw many people, start running specials and give free stuff to get people in, then fold when their bankroll dries up. If betting sports were that easy to predict, I'd be rich! smile

#408304 - 09/14/15 12:37 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Same here, Don. Lots of jazz clubs have opened, probably a couple dozen in the past decade in my immediate vicinity, and now they're all closed.

A couple local vineyards have a weekly deal going, they tried jazz and bluegrass bands, not much success with either and after a few months, they went to straight country, Jimmy Buffett stuff, and some old time Rock & Roll. Now you have to make reservations to get in the gate, and both locations easily hold 2,000 people. The wine flows, the money rolls in, and everybody's happy.

All the best,

Gary cool

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (09/14/15 12:40 PM)

#408308 - 09/14/15 01:19 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

You guys are right. It's a much harder road to travel, but it is possible.

We're alluding to the music vs. entertainment issue again.

On top of everything else, jazz people listen, but don't drink much. That makes paying the bills even harder.

In spite all of this, we diehards live to keep the music progressing, while we know that, with every improvement in knowledge and technique, we're one step closer to playing ourselves out of a job. Can't stand playing Buffet or country
(don't mind listening to some...Jimmy Wayne is really good).

No wonder top jazzers over time have had such miserable lives.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (09/14/15 01:23 PM)

#408317 - 09/14/15 03:04 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

Russ the biggest thing is knowing and enjoying the fact that we've forgotten more then the country guys and one finger arranger chord playing guys could ever hope to comprehend. Boy, if this doesn't start some %$#@^&* #$%^ everyone here must agree with me or they are dead, eh.

#408320 - 09/14/15 04:08 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

UNCLE! I give up! I'm retired, I posted all my secrets to success, but as the old saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water..." wink

All the best,

Gary cool

#408321 - 09/14/15 04:46 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

No you don't Gary (Mr Diamond) I gave up after my previous comment. I gotta beat ya at something, you old fart!!

#408324 - 09/14/15 06:17 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: DonM]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I played some senior jobs in New York when I was in my early forties; was not happy, too soft, too slow, and too limited.
Right now my body is saying go to the above list, I’m tired.

Whenever I was asked about jazz players my answer was always the same; they are really good players. The only problem is that they are not playing for you and me; they are playing for themselves. Ever go to a jazz club? The musician playing keeps looking at his instrument; at no time does he give attention to the people out front. Am I putting them down? No, defiantly no, they understand many things that other musicians need to know; and they have influenced my playing. They have their place in the music world.

We will all go through changes in our lives; the answer to happiness is to embrace the change and give it all you’ve got.

I thoroughly love playing for seniors, they know all about good music. (smile)

John C.

#408326 - 09/14/15 08:25 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

smile

#408344 - 09/15/15 08:19 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: bruno123]
captain Russ Offline

John, I absolutely agree with you. You're fast becoming the resident voice of reason here.

From one guitar player to another...much appreciation.

Russ

#408382 - 09/16/15 05:58 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: captain Russ]
guitpic1 Offline

Tx for all the good comments.

Yesterday, I played for a little over an hour at an assisted living place here in town...10 minutes away from where I live. I had been there one time before.

I was told there would be a good sized crowd( for them that means about 35 folks). They had liked what they had heard before they said. And about 35 showed up...smaller room.

Like other gigs I've done in the past for this age group, most folks sat there expressionless.
Finally, I stopped and asked, "Are you all having a good time?" Immediately I got applause, smiles broke out and folks said "Keep Playing!" smile

Anyway, a retired MD, from my hometown who was living there came up and told me he thought I was a good entertainer...folks wanted me back. The AD(young gal...aren't they all?), scheduled me through the end of the year.

This is all new to me as I'm a guitar player trying to do the keyboard thing and just starting my solo gigs(career?)

Thanks again for all the responses

#408392 - 09/16/15 09:59 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

You'll be amazed at how many locations will soon be booking you a year in advance. In my case, I usually began booking the next year's jobs in October of this year. By the end of October I had all of the following year completely booked. This took about two weeks, visiting each facility with a free calendar and pen for them to write the dates in.

Now, the next step is to send the facility(s) a letter confirming the performance dates. I usually mail two copies of the letter, along with a self addressed, stamped envelope, had them sign one copy and return it to me, and keep the other for their records. Never had anyone that didn't sign and return my copy in more than 20 years.

I purchased my calendars for $109 each from National Pen company . The pens cost me about .39 cents each and they were very high quality.

Good luck,

Gary cool

#408394 - 09/16/15 02:19 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: travlin'easy]
guitpic1 Offline

Good stuff to know Gary. Tx

#408779 - 09/23/15 03:50 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Update:

Today I was made privy to the pricing plan for groups in our area at assisted living places etc.

Rate is $100 hour. However, what the 25 year old AD's do is divide that by the number playing.

As one AD told me "I don't have a clue about music."

So, they want to pay:

One person $25 an hour
Two in a group: $50 an hour
Three: $75 an hour
Four and over: $100 an hour

Now, it means nothing to some of these AD's that a foursome that gets a small crowd, gets a $100 an hour. And a single that packs the place gets $25 an hour.

Thoughts?

#408780 - 09/23/15 04:19 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

I always tell them my rate up front, and I never, never allowed them to set the rate. I have a specific rate, the same as any other professional, lawyer, physician, dentist, etc... It's the rate I charge everyone, regardless of their income, which at assisted living centers, is quite high. I guess in a way, I'm giving them a break.

Every pro entertainer I know, and I know many, uses the same policy - THEY, THE ENTERTAINER, SETS THE RATE! Now, you will no doubt get the excuse that "We're on a limited or tight budget." I always told them "That's fine, just hire me as much as you think your budget can tolerate. If that's just once ever two or three months, that's fine." Usually, after a couple performances, the telephone rings and those same individuals want to book more dates. I had a single location that booked me over 100 times a year, and because they were an hour's drive away, I charged them $150 an hour. They didn't blink when I handed the AD the invoices. This was a huge facility with three separate sections on more than 100 acres of land on the edge of Baltimore. And, every time they had a special event, I was the first person they called. I stopped playing there about four years ago because the traffic was horrendous and it was taking me nearly 3 hours to get home. The AD still calls once in a while to ask if I can do some special parties or corporate events for them. I usually refer her to someone who lives closer.

Ron, those same ADs never haggle price with the electric company, the grocery store, the restaurants, the mechanic that fixes their car, the carpenter that fixes their roof, or anyone else for that matter. Why in the Hell do they think they can haggle price with an entertainer? It just makes no sense to me at all. The irony of all this is that for some major events, they'll contact an agent to get an entertainer, and end up paying much, much more because the agency fees must also be covered, and agents are getting a percentage of the talent fee. I've actually been hired by a country club through an agency that didn't want to pay my $500 fee for a private party. The CC actually ended up paying me far more, and didn't realize that it was me they were hiring until after the event. I laughed all the way to the bank.

There's nothing new about this, and I tell everyone "stick to your guns and you'll eventually get the rate you deserve and ask for. When I raised my rates from $100 an hour to $125, a lot of folks must have thought I was pretty damned good because I cost more than the competition. After the price increase, I actually ended up booking more jobs - not less.

Good luck,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (09/23/15 04:22 PM)

#409010 - 09/29/15 09:46 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: travlin'easy]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Boo- You're willing to go to Kentucky just to get something to eat? Tired of the taste of your own hot dogs? rotf2

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online