SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#408326 - 09/14/15 08:25 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#408344 - 09/15/15 08:19 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: bruno123]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
John, I absolutely agree with you. You're fast becoming the resident voice of reason here.

From one guitar player to another...much appreciation.

Russ

#408382 - 09/16/15 05:58 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: captain Russ]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Tx for all the good comments.

Yesterday, I played for a little over an hour at an assisted living place here in town...10 minutes away from where I live. I had been there one time before.

I was told there would be a good sized crowd( for them that means about 35 folks). They had liked what they had heard before they said. And about 35 showed up...smaller room.

Like other gigs I've done in the past for this age group, most folks sat there expressionless.
Finally, I stopped and asked, "Are you all having a good time?" Immediately I got applause, smiles broke out and folks said "Keep Playing!" smile

Anyway, a retired MD, from my hometown who was living there came up and told me he thought I was a good entertainer...folks wanted me back. The AD(young gal...aren't they all?), scheduled me through the end of the year.

This is all new to me as I'm a guitar player trying to do the keyboard thing and just starting my solo gigs(career?)

Thanks again for all the responses

#408392 - 09/16/15 09:59 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

You'll be amazed at how many locations will soon be booking you a year in advance. In my case, I usually began booking the next year's jobs in October of this year. By the end of October I had all of the following year completely booked. This took about two weeks, visiting each facility with a free calendar and pen for them to write the dates in.

Now, the next step is to send the facility(s) a letter confirming the performance dates. I usually mail two copies of the letter, along with a self addressed, stamped envelope, had them sign one copy and return it to me, and keep the other for their records. Never had anyone that didn't sign and return my copy in more than 20 years.

I purchased my calendars for $109 each from National Pen company . The pens cost me about .39 cents each and they were very high quality.

Good luck,

Gary cool

#408394 - 09/16/15 02:19 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: travlin'easy]
guitpic1 Offline

Good stuff to know Gary. Tx

#408779 - 09/23/15 03:50 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Update:

Today I was made privy to the pricing plan for groups in our area at assisted living places etc.

Rate is $100 hour. However, what the 25 year old AD's do is divide that by the number playing.

As one AD told me "I don't have a clue about music."

So, they want to pay:

One person $25 an hour
Two in a group: $50 an hour
Three: $75 an hour
Four and over: $100 an hour

Now, it means nothing to some of these AD's that a foursome that gets a small crowd, gets a $100 an hour. And a single that packs the place gets $25 an hour.

Thoughts?

#408780 - 09/23/15 04:19 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

I always tell them my rate up front, and I never, never allowed them to set the rate. I have a specific rate, the same as any other professional, lawyer, physician, dentist, etc... It's the rate I charge everyone, regardless of their income, which at assisted living centers, is quite high. I guess in a way, I'm giving them a break.

Every pro entertainer I know, and I know many, uses the same policy - THEY, THE ENTERTAINER, SETS THE RATE! Now, you will no doubt get the excuse that "We're on a limited or tight budget." I always told them "That's fine, just hire me as much as you think your budget can tolerate. If that's just once ever two or three months, that's fine." Usually, after a couple performances, the telephone rings and those same individuals want to book more dates. I had a single location that booked me over 100 times a year, and because they were an hour's drive away, I charged them $150 an hour. They didn't blink when I handed the AD the invoices. This was a huge facility with three separate sections on more than 100 acres of land on the edge of Baltimore. And, every time they had a special event, I was the first person they called. I stopped playing there about four years ago because the traffic was horrendous and it was taking me nearly 3 hours to get home. The AD still calls once in a while to ask if I can do some special parties or corporate events for them. I usually refer her to someone who lives closer.

Ron, those same ADs never haggle price with the electric company, the grocery store, the restaurants, the mechanic that fixes their car, the carpenter that fixes their roof, or anyone else for that matter. Why in the Hell do they think they can haggle price with an entertainer? It just makes no sense to me at all. The irony of all this is that for some major events, they'll contact an agent to get an entertainer, and end up paying much, much more because the agency fees must also be covered, and agents are getting a percentage of the talent fee. I've actually been hired by a country club through an agency that didn't want to pay my $500 fee for a private party. The CC actually ended up paying me far more, and didn't realize that it was me they were hiring until after the event. I laughed all the way to the bank.

There's nothing new about this, and I tell everyone "stick to your guns and you'll eventually get the rate you deserve and ask for. When I raised my rates from $100 an hour to $125, a lot of folks must have thought I was pretty damned good because I cost more than the competition. After the price increase, I actually ended up booking more jobs - not less.

Good luck,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (09/23/15 04:22 PM)

#409010 - 09/29/15 09:46 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: travlin'easy]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Boo- You're willing to go to Kentucky just to get something to eat? Tired of the taste of your own hot dogs? rotf2

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online