SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#408157 - 09/11/15 01:59 PM Performing for Seniors?
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Put this out on the PSR Tutorial forum as well....

Anyone performing for mostly seniors? I mean nursing homes, assisted living etc? What's are your experiences like? Any special issues to deal with?

Tx

#408162 - 09/11/15 02:15 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Learn CPR.

chas

#408168 - 09/11/15 02:41 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I don't know if anyone here has ever had to administer CPR during a NH or AL gig. They usually have staff members for that ...
other than issues with Activities Directors, you will find these audiences the most appreciative you will ever play for ...

#408169 - 09/11/15 02:52 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
As most people know, I won't play "for Profits" , because I find them to be total hell holes, when it comes to the level of care they provide and the extent to which they fight any regulation that will cost them money.

Instead, I work with an advocacy group to pass laws to address the situation. And I play one job a week and donate the proceeds to my advocacy group, making me the largest donor.

Around here, the people who play nursing homes couldn't work anywhere else. I made a trip every day, 7 days a week to the two nursing homes my in-laws were in for 14 years. I couldn't believe some of the people who showed up to play. UGH!

Of course that's not the case everywhere. I have listened to some members here who play the nursing home and assisted living circuit, and they're excellent and really believe what they 're doing.

I fully support them.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (09/11/15 02:54 PM)

#408174 - 09/11/15 06:21 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I only played occasionally not every other week as some folks here on the forum . I have to admit that only one place did I deal with the same AD m ore than twice. Every other place had a new one that would call and say I'm so and so the new director at so and so and I see your name on a list and wanted to see if you would be available on such and such a date. Around here they change AD's as often as you have lunch. I'm in Western Colorado. The old folks loved all the old standards I played. The AD's were 25 to 30 years old for the most part and I soon figured out that they would rather have a three chord guitar player instead of me.

#408175 - 09/11/15 06:44 PM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: brickboo]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: brickboo
Around here they change AD's as often as you have lunch. I'm in Western Colorado. The old folks loved all the old standards I played. The AD's were 25 to 30 years old for the most part and I soon figured out that they would rather have a three chord guitar player instead of me.

ADs 25 to 30 years old?!? ... that's a heck of a job for someone that age ..
I don't work THAT many different places, but at the ones I've worked most have had the same ADs for at least the past 4 years, and they are in their 40s and 50s ... and I really don't care about what the ADs might like to hear as long as they keep hiring me to play what the RESIDENTS want to hear - which lately is some 40s, but more 50s and 60s (Beatles) ...

#408187 - 09/12/15 05:14 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: tony mads usa]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Tx for the replies. Interesting thoughts. Playing for seniors is quite a business around here as this area is quite a retirement center. Pay is not that great but the work is steady.

I just started this senior gig as a solo and could play up to 6 - 8 times a month without leaving this small town I live in. There is more business out of town.

The AD's are pretty easy to get along with and I sure get a lot of hugs and positive feedback from the residents....couldn't justify doing this if I wasn't retired though.

Most of my music is 40's, 50's & 60's. Seems old time country is big around here.

Tx for the responses.

#408189 - 09/12/15 06:52 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Tony, you're not getting it. This is a different planet for many reasons. The 25 and 30 years olds I'm sure, work for far less pay than the 60 year olds who have plenty of experience. The young uncaring AD's don't necessarily hire who the residents like, and thus may be the reason for such a quick turnover in the AD department. The young kids (The AD's) have friends, tons of them that sing and play guitar for free or very cheap. When they change AD's often (why would I lie to you friend), you do not get to know them. They do not build a pleasant rapport with you, there is no bond you are just another name on a list that they stumble upon.

I hoped that this would be self explanatory, but I guess it's being read from an argumentative position. That's not why I replied. I merely did what the person asked and told my experience in a different environment than where you Yankee Easterners work. You can't get $75 here let alone $150 for a nursing, retirement home type gig. It's a $50 gig over here in this world. That's why I don't care and gave it up. I'd rather walk my puppies.

#408192 - 09/12/15 07:27 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Well it's a different story here in Maryland. The AD's are paid very well and have been at the same place for several years. Some of them move around and take the better entertainers with them. I make between 100 and 150 per hour. Due to health considerations I am doing 10 to 15 shows per month. There's a lot more out there. Some guys are doing 25 to 30 shows per month. Good luck with it.

Joe

#408195 - 09/12/15 09:49 AM Re: Performing for Seniors? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Joe and I work the same circuit, though I perform 6 to 7 days a week most of the time, and frequently performed doubles at least 2 days a week. I've been working the senior circuit for the better part of 20 years, and it was balls to the wall during the entire time. Unfortunately, health issues have been creeping up on this old man, and about a month ago I was forced to retire. While I still get calls nearly every day from someone that wishes me to perform for special functions, at this point I have to turn them down.

The average age of the ADs in my area is probably about 35, many as Joe stated, have been at the same location for many years, and some of the new ones are in their mid to late 20s. Good looking gals, very spirited, eager to do what the residents wish, and constantly looking for good talent. They all have budget constraints, and for the most part, they are able to work within those limitations and still maintain a solid flow of good entertainers on a weekly, and in some instances, a daily basis.

As Russ said, some of the entertainment is sub par to say the least. I've seen them, just as everyone in this business has seen them. Most have no musical training at all, though they sincerely believe they are doing a great job. They tend not to last very long at a single location.

As for the pay scale, when I first started, $50 was the going rate for an OMB entertainer. I accepted that during the first year, but once I had established myself, I raised my rates to $100. Only one location said they couldn't afford me, but they came back to me a few months later and acquiesced to my rate. After about 10 years at $100 per hour, I raised the rate to $125, and $150 for jobs more than 30 miles from home. No one blinked, but when posted this on the Synthzone, a lot of guys thought I was shooting myself in the foot. As it turned out, I guess the locations I was not performing at must have thought I was really good because I charged more than anyone else in the area, so they began calling as well.

At one point I was performing at 52 locations each and every month - an insane schedule. Plus, at least once or twice a month, I filled for a friend at a restaurant job. There was much more work available than I could possibly handle, even if I were just 30 years old.

Now, this doesn't just fall in your lap. I have been very diligent in this business, and yes, it is a business. I do my own marketing, advertising, bookkeeping, accounting, taxes, etc..., all of the things that a successful business must do. This requires as much, if not more, time and effort as doing the actual job itself.

I booked all my jobs a year in advance, and NYE was booked 2 years in advance. I provided all of my clients, and perspective clients, with wall calendars, pens, and a contract listing each and every date when I would perform. I have posted this contract on this and other sites for others to use as a guideline. I never had a single instance where a client refused to sign the contract, I've only been stiffed for a single check, and after a year, was able to collect because I produced the contract with the ADs signature.

Now, Captain Russ says he has some Hell Holes in Kentucky, but in my part of the world, they are few and far between. Most of the assisted living facilities are very clean, the staff tends, at least for the most part, to be caring individuals who are friendly with the residents and the entertainers. The staffers frequently interacted with the residents while I'm performing, get some of them out of the chairs to dance, and it's not unusual for them to walk up front and sing with me, though they don't have a mic. We always had lots of fun, and anytime there was a special event, such as an open house, crab feast, cookout, etc..., I was the very first person the AD would call for entertainment.

Some folks refer to this as the Nursing Home Circuit, but in reality, we perform at only a handful of actual nursing homes. Most of our performances are at assisted living centers, retirement communities and senior centers. They all have budgets for entertainers, and while some have been reduced, others have been expanded. You have to learn to work within those constraints, which sometimes involves reducing the number of performances, while at the same time, maintaining the rate of pay.

On this forum, there are only a few of us that made a full time living working the senior circuit, which even at the lowest rate pays more than the nite club and restaurant jobs. Bill From Dayton always seems to busy in his part of the world, and there's no question that DNJ doesn't let any grass grow beneath his feet as well. My top year was 440 jobs, and if I were a young man, say 50 or so, I could easily surpass that number given the sheer number of new locations opening ever year in my immediate area.

I've read some posts where folks made brash claims that those of us that perform the senior circuit probably couldn't work anyplace else. That, apparently, is a fallacy contrived by someone that considers him or her self an elitist. We've all worked the nite club/bar/restaurant circuits, some of us have worked cruise ships, we continue to do private parties and the occasional wedding, but in most instances, we find the rewards, both emotionally and financially, better while working the senior circuit.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online