SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#72696 - 02/01/07 01:32 AM Yamaha SY85 Floppy Drives For Sale
BeerBoy74 Offline

Loc: Melbourne,,Australia
Floppy drives for these synths has been a bit of a sore point for SY synths, and 14 years after its original release they are impossible to find anywhere. So when I needed to replace the drive in my very own SY85 I decided it was time to design a replacement, as the SY85 uses a special proprietary floppy drive unit.

If anyone else has had problems with their drive, I have had a small number of these drives manufactured that can be purchased.

These drives have been professionally built and quality tested, and are a straight swap over for the original. They come with full installation instructions and are easy to install.
You can check them out at www.members.optusnet.com.au/~vlbaby

Cheers

BB

#72697 - 02/01/07 10:17 PM Re: Yamaha SY85 Floppy Drives For Sale
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Thanks for letting us know about these drives BB. I have also added a link to your website from http://www.synthzone.com/yamaha.htm so other SY-85 owners can find you easier.

Where about in Australia are you based? I am from Melbourne originally.

#72698 - 02/01/07 11:19 PM Re: Yamaha SY85 Floppy Drives For Sale
BeerBoy74 Offline

Hi Nigel,
Thanks for posting the link. I am from Melbourne also, I guess your in states now.
Thats a long way from home, do you miss it?

BB

#72699 - 02/04/07 12:53 AM Re: Yamaha SY85 Floppy Drives For Sale
Nigel Offline
Admin

Yep, I have been living in Los Angeles for going on 20 years now. Life is good here in California ( Arnie Land ) but I always miss Australia. Every few years I try to make it back there to catch up with friends and family. My wife and I still have a house on the beach in Chelsea.

I work developing video games which is what brought me here in the late 80s. I guess much of the video games industry is based in California. I am currently working on a game for the Sony PS3 called Saints Row ( http://www.saintsrow.com ) which is pretty much virtual gang war with a gangsta rap / hiphop flavor. It's a dirty job but someone has gotta do it lol.

#407431 - 08/28/15 02:10 PM Re: Yamaha SY85 Floppy Drives For Sale [Re: Nigel]
BeerBoy74 Offline

Yamaha Floppy Disk Drives are BACK!! We have managed to acquire a large order of mechanically floppy disk drives to suit many many Yamaha Synths. These drives are direct fit replacements for the original drive. Models include SY85, SY77, SY99, PSR-SQ16, MDF2, PSR620, V50, CVP55, CVP65, CVP75 plus many many more...

Please visit our website at www.fdselectronics.com to see the full range.

#407592 - 09/01/15 11:33 PM Re: Yamaha SY85 Floppy Drives For Sale [Re: BeerBoy74]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Thanks for letting us know. I have added your link to http://www.synthzone.com/repair.htm

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online