SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#4051 - 08/13/02 05:09 PM Well, we might as well admit it.
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
Electronic music is not as popular as it was 2 years ago. However, the thing that pisses me off is that, good electronic music never saw the light even when it was hip for that very short period. To the general public, techno and electronic music is Moby, FatBoy Slim and the Prodigy.
Not to take anything away from these guys, but they certainly were not the cream of the crop.

Right now this "lobotomy" rock/rap music is dominating the market, in connection with a piss poor attempt to revive punk and grunge. There is no way anyone can tell me that the music on your radio is at all innovative or at least acceptable. And I see that it is not only mid to late 20 something losers like me, but also the teenagers that the record companies target this crap toward, also hate it.

So why is it being pushed if so many hate it? How is it still selling millions? I believe that despite what people truly think about the poor quality of music, they will still buy it anyways either to keep up with the Jones' sortaspeak or simply out of consumer boredom. The bigwigs that control these record companies are fully aware of this and market it accordingly.

Will electronic music make a come back? Most likely. In fact, i give it 2 to 4 years. But for now, music sucks more than ever. yeah I had to bitch and moan about this, so sue me.

[This message has been edited by Chris Attison (edited 08-13-2002).]

#4052 - 08/14/02 12:15 AM Re: Well, we might as well admit it.
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
well as a teenager who is being targeted i have to agree...so much of music today is style over substance and its really making me apathetic towards music listening.

i long for an era like 1991-1996 again for rock music, when there was room for people with different sounds and not either nu metal or punk revival blandness. its really a shame i was too young to truly enjoy that era until it was 98.

as for electronic music, i hated it when fatboy slim and prodigy were being held up so high as electronic music gods...i wanted people to hear aphex twin, squarepusher, orb, orbital, people that mean something for electronic music and not bland sampled repetitive shit...

#4053 - 08/14/02 12:34 AM Re: Well, we might as well admit it.
Chris Attison Offline

You may have been too young back in 91 to 96 but at least the music is still there to enjoy. Yes that was a damn good era for music. And Im not just saying that because it was "my" generation. I also grew up in the 80s and I thought alot of the shit they called music sucked back then too, like the hairspray bands. Of course the 80s had its good music too.

However, this millenium music has no redeeming value whatsoever. I cant imagine myself as a teenager and getting musically inspired by Linkin Park or Papa Roach.

#4054 - 08/14/02 07:58 AM Re: Well, we might as well admit it.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Versatility is the key, shoot, you guys know this though. But Chris and MRT 1212, music parrellel's history. It you both know it goes in cycles, and before long, your favorite mastered style will once again be the latest "dope" [(so is how the happening fad, sadly, is described in todays times)I must add as an old buzzard who has done plenty enough 'dope' in my days to know that it is NOT a good thing]. Darn, I was so happy when we all called it "The Bomb". Who the hell is in charge of that BTW?

MORPH!

#4055 - 08/14/02 11:38 AM Re: Well, we might as well admit it.
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
I agree Chris . The more I listen to this brain dead rock and grunge the more I feel that rock is dead . People say that electronic music has no soul , it's the crap on the radio that has no soul . The reason - the stuff is mass produced for the brain dead sheep who keep buying it . The music on the radio is not popular because it's good . It's popular because it's cramed down the radio stations neck . Of course there is also PAYOLA , how can you compete with that . How can you compete with some major record label jackass calling the radio stations ever hour on the hour . Electronic music has a huge underground , always has , always will . Keep on going , get more aggressive . I know I am . Treat these people like it's an honor for them to listen to you're music - WHICH IT IS . It's you're hard work , you're soul . Open the eyes of the sheep .

#4056 - 08/15/02 01:51 PM Re: Well, we might as well admit it.
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I agree with everyone here.. The quality of music today has really gone down hill. It's amazing what people put on the radio and call music... These little lame ass teenie bopper groups like Back Door Boys, and Britney "should be" Speared!... No one wants to do their own music anymore... Everyone is just sampling other peoples stuff.. Rap music is HUGE on this.. They just take everyone elses music and put their own lyrics to it.. Back in the day the music was produced by "real" musicians who earned their titles as musicians.. With today's technology basically anyone who doesn't know squat about music can buy a piece of equipment that makes them sound like a pro. What every happened to people actually getting behind the instruments and playing them? On the radio today they did a funny comparison of the music from the original Woodstock and the Woodstock of today... Let me tell you today's musicians who play at Woodstock don't have anything on the ones of yesterday. It was a difference of night and day.. This lame attempt at metal and grunge today really is depressing? I was born in the early 70's and I can tell you that from what I've seen, music started it's downfall when everyone started sampling stuff.. With the invention of the professional synth/workstation allowing musicians to sample and loop started a whole new era of "wanna be" musicians.. I'm not trying to knock everyone out there that samples and stuff, because I know a lot of really good musicians who sample, but we all know there are musicians out there who do not deserve the title of "musician" Espcially people like Britney "God I can't stand her ass" Spears....
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#4057 - 08/16/02 12:34 AM Re: Well, we might as well admit it.
slr-online Offline

Loc: England
And there was me thinking I was just getting old...........

I actually sold my Radio on E Bay last week because of all the crap that was being piped through it. It will NOT be replaced until the 'music' can justify my spending hard earned cash.

#4058 - 08/17/02 01:18 AM Re: Well, we might as well admit it.
Jiddu Offline

Loc: Australia
I was at a bar last night and I heard a song that had the days of our lives theme sampled...

you just gotta laugh I think

BUT

theyre is a helluva lot of underground hip hop that has brought back a lot of old sckool funk and soul through sampling..
I love pretty much everybody on the ninja tune label (and similars) and all they do is sample.

I think its just a matter of abuse, like the (minor) I, VI, VII progression in mainstream electronic dance.

And squeakD you bag the crud out of sampling yet you give Britney ( god [b]I[\b] love her ass ) and Backstreet boys ( indifferent ) as examples. I dont think they sampled anything..

I do agree with 800dv about the big labels dictating commercial radio playlist.. thats a really sad part about music industry.

And:
moby, fatboy and prodigy have all produced multiple hit albums.. I think they're talented. If your gonna pay out, pay out on darude or atb or something..

#4059 - 08/17/02 08:57 AM Re: Well, we might as well admit it.
Chris Attison Offline

When it comes to boy/girl bands like N' Sync, 98 degrees, Britney Spears, etc, I think its ridicculous to blame them. These people were recruited for the job. If they werent present at the auditions, it would have been the next pretty face. Its the record companies and other various corporate entities that create these ludicrous acts that little 10 year old girls go crazy for.

#4060 - 08/19/02 12:14 AM Re: Well, we might as well admit it.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bingo. Chris, I guess you realize the industry...a publishing business. What does the music industry have interests in with how the published music product sounds? Nada. The main factor of the industry's interests are in the dollar. Anotherwards, what it sounds like means nothing, and what it sells like means everything. Musicianship dont mean much, and it never really did as far as the publishing aspect goes. These rappers couldn't tell you the accidentals in the key of C maj. and the only # they will ever know of is the one on their cell phone. As I said though, music goes in cycles similar to like the way history repeats itself. It comes back, but in a slightly different form each time. People that say electronic music has no soul...gentlemen, ignore those who insult us, but if you must, simply smile and hand them the microphone and tell them to give it a shot. Most folks who are to critic you are only blaring out their own inadequicies. Many Americans can't even sing "The Star Spangled Banner" (the United States National Anthem by Francis Scott Key)
Finally, Here's a thought for you...
Hira, my Japanese friend, pianist, and teacher says to not think of how old you are, but to know how much wiser you get as each day passes. Wisdom of experience through time cannot be replaced or derrived from anything else. Even a new born each day is one day closer to thier body pushing the daisys up from the ground. What of those so foolish to insult an elder for thier age and then immediately by the odds and thier lack of wisdom jay walk out in front of a speeding automobile? By the paradyme, know that this has, or will someday happen if it has not already. Savor wisdom, cherish life.
MORPH!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online