SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#405958 - 07/30/15 04:50 PM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Not too many pix of both my boys together Chas!
I am very proud of Rod though. He still holds record in Europe for 11 3-pointers in one game.
https://www.espacioligaendesa.com/historia-del-baloncesto/interior/145/rod-mason

Unfortunately back trouble kept him out of the NBA except for brief stints, but he had a great career in Spain. The photo was when he was just out of college preparing for USA National Team, and helping Mike with his clinic. They still stay in touch.
He shot 44 percent from 3 point range in the USA games. http://archive.usab.com/mens/national/mtoa_1993.html

#405966 - 07/30/15 06:55 PM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: cgiles]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Originally Posted By: cgiles
...how would changing to a Tyros 5 (a self-admitted financial hardship) change anything?...

I prefer the Tyros 5 because of:

1. The available styles
2. The Mega guitar voice technology
3. The human voices
4. More suitable for US (whatever it's called) music
5. Intros & endings

If I could have the above on what I have now, I would rave even more. it's a software requirement, not a hardware requirement. And it's possible, but unlikely.

Henni

#405967 - 07/30/15 07:19 PM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
DonM, you're a true renaissance man; talented, witty, good looki.., well, two out of three ain't bad smile smile.

chas

#405969 - 07/30/15 07:36 PM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Seriously though, folks. Why couldn't people like Gary, who probably knows as much about these boards as Yamaha itself, do clinics/workshops for all the old farts that buy these things and don't have a clue how to utilize even 30% of it's capabilities. In fact, I think that would be a perfect post-gigging career for a really qualified person (Gary, for instance, has a background in teaching AND knows the Yammy system inside and out). They should advertise monthly workshops held either in their own homes or in a cooperative music store. I'm betting it would work in the right location. Look how far people are willing to go for one of AJ's workshop/clinics. And that's for the 4th most popular AKB; think what it would be for the no. 1. Just a thought.

chas

#405970 - 07/30/15 07:56 PM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
And a great thought at that. For many years Gary has spent countless thousands of hours of his time on the phone, helping anyone and everyone, around the world, who might ask. It would be a natural and welcome transition.
Maybe we could form a partnership because I want in on it too!

#405974 - 07/30/15 08:58 PM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: cgiles]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
It would be the perfect outlet for Gary. I am the beneficiary of many phone calls back and forth with Gary. I even called him from a job once when I had a glitch I couldn't figure out. As a result of learning so much about the Yamaha OS I was asked by three people who had purchased different Yammies if I could teach them how to navigate the OS. I told them I couldn't teach them to play, but if they already knew chord patterns, played by ear or could read, I could help them learn the OS and put it all together to play songs using styles, registrations, and the basic features they needed to make music. One had a PSR 3000, another on an S950. Both got the hang of it and have been enjoying their keyboards.

A third candidate was not successful. She was a real (and very accomplished) pianist but could not get the concept of holding chords in the left hand to guide the styles. She was very good at playing Stride Piano and just couldn't get the hang of an arranger.

I can't imagine trying to teach multiple students simultaneously as in a workshop....but one-on-one has proven very successful with my two very dedicated students (both over 65). I limited each lesson to 1-hour and concentrated on just 1, sometimes 2 features. Any more than that seemed to cause confusion. It takes patience and a lot of repetition but its very rewarding to watch their progress and the joy they get from their instruments. Oh....and I made a few bucks doing it.

Eddie

PS....Over the years I have had help from a number of SZ members....DonM, DNJ most notably.

#405982 - 07/31/15 04:26 AM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Gary just wants to Sail & drink Green Coconut Margaritas when retired. I doubt he wants to be bothered
with phone calls, questions, and problems all day long.

Edited by Dnj (07/31/15 04:27 AM)

#405983 - 07/31/15 04:39 AM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Gary just wants to Sail & drink Green Coconut Margaritas when retired. I doubt he wants to be bothered
with phone calls, questions, and problems all day long.

Geez, it's a good thing you know what Gary wants. First of all, I said "people LIKE Gary". Given his long history of (seeming to enjoy) helping people, why would that change just because his back no longer wanted to schlepp heavy equipment around every day? Don't presume to always know what other people want. Besides, it was just an idea/suggestion.

chas

#405984 - 07/31/15 04:59 AM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Gary may change his mind which I doubt if Yamaha put him on a
6 figure salary cool2 ....personally I'd rather be sailing & partying down south myself too.

#405997 - 07/31/15 07:33 AM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: cgiles]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I'm too lazy to read this whole thread because I think it went off topic into music lessons instead of technical lessons for arrangers. I said this a while back when I got my BK9. I wish the companies would include some DVD's of an expert running through all the things their Arranger can do and how to do it. I bet it would boost sales if people knew how much an Arranger is capable of and it wouldn't cost the companies much at all to produce. Better then the manuals.
Right now I would pay someone if they could show me how to link my IPAD to my BK9 so it would go to the correct Style or SMF as I choose songs in UnRealbook. I'm pretty sure it can be done.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online