SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#405265 - 07/21/15 07:44 AM 1st Day With Yamaha PSRS670
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
This new entry in the arranger workstation products from Yamaha has hit the jackpot for me. The older versions of the 600 series had an interface which were so different than the 750 and 950 models. It was so easy to show potential customers the 700 and 900 series models and it felt very awkward trying to navigate on the 600 series.
Now, the new 670 has an interface exactly like the higher end models minus the buttons to the left and right of the screen. In place of these buttons Yamaha gives you left, right up and down arrows to navigate. But what you see in the screen looks exactly like the 750, 950 and Tyros screens. This is a huge improvement in navigation and for those wanting a lighter, less expensive model it is now available.
There are no super articulation voices but most of the other voices are here and the styles are from these other higher end models. The addition of the two assignable knobs and arpeggios are now in this model and thank goodness Yamaha has finally added the 1/4" stereo output jacks………..an absolute necessity for working musicians.
I played for a few hours yesterday and it was so comfortable to have all the features I am so familiar with and a keyboard I didn't have to relearn how to do the things I've been doing for so many years on higher priced models.
All the functions are the same, the performance sequencer and the 16 track sequencer work exactly as on the higher end models as well.
This keyboard at less than $800.00 MAP should do very well.

Edited by George Kaye (07/21/15 07:47 AM)
(Retired 2021)

#405270 - 07/21/15 11:31 AM Re: 1st Day With Yamaha PSRS670 [Re: George Kaye]
Bachus Offline

Great review George..

How does it compare to the Casio WK 7600 and the PA300 which should be in the same pricerange, maybe a bit cheaper..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#405276 - 07/21/15 02:31 PM Re: 1st Day With Yamaha PSRS670 [Re: Bachus]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
The Korg PA300 first of all does not have Stereo line outputs which is a real bummer! Next, the Korg cannot be loaded with any new samples but the Yamaha has 32MB of sample memory to load in new packages which Yamaha sells and now there is finally a software application which allows you to combine the samples and styles from several different packages to make up ones that you want to keep in the keyboard. The PA300 can only have 1 pedal the Yamaha 2.
The Yamaha has an Aux input the Korg has none.
The Yamaha has arpeggios and controllers and the Korg does not
The Korg cannot record Audio wav files and the Yamaha can

The negative of the Casio WK keyboards for me is the styles and all the orchestral sounds. Casio could do a much better job of drum samples, guitars, brass, woodwinds, etc. I'm sure, but they haven't. Even in the demos of their new products from NAMM with the 5.2" color touchscreen, I never heard any guitar, brass or woodwind sounds played. Always it was Piano, piano and strings or organs. I'll have to wait to see the new products when they start arriving. I also think the Casio interface on the WK7600 is a bear to work with.
(Retired 2021)

#405278 - 07/21/15 02:51 PM Re: 1st Day With Yamaha PSRS670 [Re: George Kaye]
Dnj Offline

Korg has TOUCH Screen, Yamaha does not.

#405328 - 07/22/15 12:13 PM Re: 1st Day With Yamaha PSRS670 [Re: George Kaye]
Beakybird Offline

I really appreciate your reviews, George. Line outs are more important than a touch screen.

#405331 - 07/22/15 01:30 PM Re: 1st Day With Yamaha PSRS670 [Re: George Kaye]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good review, George, as usual - very comprehensive.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#405417 - 07/23/15 10:05 PM Re: 1st Day With Yamaha PSRS670 [Re: George Kaye]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
New for this series is also the Multipads and with the Audio Link too….!!!
George, I am not sure if you have seen some of the things the App Chord tracker do?
Besides per say, extracting the chords of the music from your IOs device (IPad, IPhone, etc),
you can transpose it, and if you have the LAN (Wireles WiFI), or the Camera Kit to USB,
it makes a Folder on the User SONG and basically you can play that song with different styles on the Keyboard,
so, is perfect for Arranging, learning new songs, etc….

And of course, also can play the Audio file on the Keyboard too….etc…
I think this App is very useful for all levels of players, songwriters, arrangers, etc.
Just my 2 cents. cool keys

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online