SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#400203 - 03/05/15 06:53 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Jim

Very interesting use of the IPAd. I recently got one and first set it up for DJing. Better than CD's but a bit quirky with the touch screen. I use an old ITouch along with an IMix so I can set up the IPAD lists while the ITouch plays a song. So far so good but lots of wires.
Recently I delved in UNrealbook. This looks like a big winner for me down the road. Since I'm using a BK9 and Roland has sort of made the iPad compatible with it do you know how I would go about having the IPAD do registrations along with songs in UNrealbook ?

BTW years ago I saw Harry Connick's band all with Apple Laptops instead of music books. Ahead of his time with that idea.

#400205 - 03/05/15 07:31 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
mellow1 Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I've followed this discussion with interest since I have been using unrealBook for some time on an iPad. I agree with some of the detractors, but for me the benefits outweigh the shortcomings. BUT NOW - this may be a game changer for some:
"WSJ spills major new details about Apple’s massive 12.9-inch iPad"

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/wsj-spills-major-details-apple-massive-12-9-140021251.html
Skip

#400214 - 03/05/15 10:42 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: mellow1]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: mellow1
I've followed this discussion with interest since I have been using unrealBook for some time on an iPad. I agree with some of the detractors, but for me the benefits outweigh the shortcomings. BUT NOW - this may be a game changer for some:
"WSJ spills major new details about Apple’s massive 12.9-inch iPad"

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/wsj-spills-major-details-apple-massive-12-9-140021251.html
Skip

12.9" screen on an ipad, would really be great for us musicians that use the ipad as a touchscreen... and not as much as a handhold thingy

Edited by Bachus (03/05/15 10:42 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#400264 - 03/06/15 01:50 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: the question about my band (when there are 4 iPads in use) ... well, it's actually a 5pc (and occasionally 6pc) group. Drums, Bass, Electric guitar, Acoustic guitar+vocals, and me on keyboards. (6th member, when present, is another singer). In that scenario, since we have drums, bass, guitars - I use my Tyros5 for sounds (no arranger features). I do use a lot of its sounds - of course pianos, E-pianos, strings, and sometimes horns/flutes/saxes, and B3-like organ, and synth sounds.

For my solo, duo and trio gigs, I use full arranger features. (and one, two or 3 iPads are in use). My gigs are probably about ~40% solo, 30% duo+trio, and 30% "full band" (5pc).

-Jim

#400268 - 03/06/15 03:13 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
tnicoson Offline

Loc: Chicago area - USA
Bachus

Many thanks. I particularly enjoyed the video on the Yamaha Synth and Drum Pad app. I have had that app since it was first released, but never realized all that could be done with it, so I now have a much renewed interest in it.

I just saw a new post over on the PSR Tutorial forum about using the Yamaha Mobile Music Sequencer (MMS) iPad app to make music with the Motif, MO-X, Tyros, or PSR (even the lowly, but noble, PSR-E443). If you have not seen it yet, you might want to pop over there and take a look.

Thanks again !

Regards,

Ted

Edited by tnicoson (03/06/15 03:37 PM)

#400269 - 03/06/15 03:26 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Jim, thanks for responding. I was mainly interested in how the arranger was used in the full band setting. I can see how voice navigation might be somewhat easier on an arranger than on some of the more complex synths and workstations.....plus, the newest arranger voices are on a par, quality wise, with most synths/ws's these days.

chas

#400346 - 03/08/15 10:56 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: cgiles]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
My dream tablet will be one that is at least 12"(diagonal), has USB ports and the ability to add flash memory as well as a keyboard dock station.

The iPad pro sounds like a possibility but I'm guessing Samsung(or some Android/Google) will be there first with all that and more in the coming months...for a lot less $$$.

Here's the thing that amazes me....a bit of an explanation first as someone who used Apple as a teacher..12 years and then went to Windows/Android when I worked in industry(25 years)and now uses Apple(again)as a teacher since retiring and going back into ed.

Android(read Samsung or whatever) has a lot more capability, is easier to work with(and I'm saying this as an iPad owner),is twice as flexible memory wise as about anything Apple.

I finally bought an Apple iPad this year because about everyone I work with in Ed(teachers/administrators)...uses Apple...has since they were 5 years old or started school.

And, of course, for a price, Apple has apps that work with my Tyros 4...but then so does Android.

Apple was the smartest of all...going back to the early 1980's...I was there. Apple put their P.C's in schools. I had the Apple IIc for my kids. My kids learned on Apple...guess what they use?

smile

Edited by guitpic1 (03/08/15 11:19 AM)

#400348 - 03/08/15 11:19 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: guitpic1
My dream tablet will be one that is at least 12"(diagonal), has USB ports and the ability to add flash memory as well as a keyboard dock station.

The iPad pro sounds like a possibility but I'm guessing Samsung(or some Android/Google) will be there first with all that and more in the coming months...for a lot less $$$.

Here's the thing that amazes me....a bit of an explanation first as someone who used Apple as a teacher..12 years and then went to Windows/Android when I worked in industry(25 years)and now uses Apple(again)as a teacher since retiring and going back into ed.

Android(read Samsung or whatever) has a lot more capability, is easier to work with(and I'm saying this as an iPad owner),is twice as flexible memory wise as about anything Apple.

I finally bought an Apple iPad this year because about everyone I work with in Ed(teachers/administrators)...uses Apple...has since they were 5 years old or started school.

And, of course, for a price, Apple has apps that work with my Tyros 4...but then so does Android.

Apple was the smartest of all...going back to the early 1980's...I was there. Apple put their P.C's in schools. I had the Apple IIc for my kids. My kids learned on Apple...guess what they use?

smile

There is a great tablet that fits your needs...

Microsoft surface pro 3....

And you can run apps on it, as well as professional windows software..

Its also more expensive then an ipad, but with the added keyboard it is the best of 2 worlds..

Edited by Bachus (03/08/15 11:20 AM)

#400349 - 03/08/15 11:22 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yes, if they keep at it, eventually tablets will be able to do almost everything a laptop now does.

#400351 - 03/08/15 11:32 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Yes, if they keep at it, eventually tablets will be able to do almost everything a laptop now does.

Microsoft surface pro 3 tablet is as good as anynpowerfull laptop, it has an i7 inside 16 gigs of memmory and a 512 GB SSD.. You can also buy a sepperate keyboard for it..

Edited by Bachus (03/08/15 11:33 AM)

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online