SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#400097 - 03/02/15 05:08 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
Jerryghr Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 01/14/02
Posts: 1323
Loc: Buffalo, NY
Bachus,

Keep the information coming. That's how we keep up to date with the newest technology in our trade.

If we don't see a need for it we won't use it, but at least we know it's there. It may have an application up the road for us.
ex. I told the dealer I don't need a backup camera and heated seats in my car...........now I can't live without it, especially this year.

It's like going to a buffet. There are many different food choices available, but we don't eat everything. We pick and choose what we like.

PS: At the local Casino there are several duos that are using the I-pads very effectively, and are real crowd pleasers. The I-pads are in front of them on a mic stand, and that is all they use for chords, words, set lists etc. Nice clean professional setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmqpG6ONWHw

They are part of a full band on weekends, but can perform as a duo using the technology to play on occasions when a full band is not needed.

Regards,

Jerryghr



Edited by Jerryghr (03/02/15 05:22 AM)

Top
#400105 - 03/02/15 11:14 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
jimlaing Offline
Member

Registered: 09/24/02
Posts: 512
Loc: Raleigh, NC
I use an iPad when performing, and when my band plays, there are 4 iPads. I have prepared things so that at a gig, all the iPads are networked. I am the one who calls up the songs ... either via a set list (prepared order of songs), or via "on-the-fly" requests and "feeling" what the audience might like. It takes me ~2 seconds to call up any song. The other 3 iPads instantly also show that same song. I change the pages (when needed) instantly, and all the other iPads change automatically.

I now have it so my keyboard's Registration changes to the song registration instantly too. So, I can call up any song and be playing it within ~2-3 seconds.

For this use, the iPads simply replace having music books to carry, to flip through, or to have pages lowing in the wind (at outdoor gigs), etc. It's not a "cheap" solution, but the band members all owned iPads already, so we put them to good use. I play probably ~30% of my songs purely from memory, and for the other ~70%, I have about 1,000 song sheets that I've put into the iPads. I edited many of them, to make the lyrics and chords larger for our "older" eyes :-) All band members have the same song set (PDF files) on their iPads.

So, for this use, the iPad saves time, doesn't get in the way, and still lets us be musicians ...

-Jim
_________________________
Genos / Tyros5 / HK Lucas Nano 600 / FTB Maxx 40a / EV ZX1A / Rock'n'Roller cart / Hauptwerk virtual pipe organ / misc other audio & music toys

Top
#400106 - 03/02/15 11:20 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: jimlaing]
Bachus Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 03/02/06
Posts: 6617
Originally Posted By: jimlaing
I use an iPad when performing, and when my band plays, there are 4 iPads. I have prepared things so that at a gig, all the iPads are networked. I am the one who calls up the songs ... either via a set list (prepared order of songs), or via "on-the-fly" requests and "feeling" what the audience might like. It takes me ~2 seconds to call up any song. The other 3 iPads instantly also show that same song. I change the pages (when needed) instantly, and all the other iPads change automatically.

I now have it so my keyboard's Registration changes to the song registration instantly too. So, I can call up any song and be playing it within ~2-3 seconds.

For this use, the iPads simply replace having music books to carry, to flip through, or to have pages lowing in the wind (at outdoor gigs), etc. It's not a "cheap" solution, but the band members all owned iPads already, so we put them to good use. I play probably ~30% of my songs purely from memory, and for the other ~70%, I have about 1,000 song sheets that I've put into the iPads. I edited many of them, to make the lyrics and chords larger for our "older" eyes :-) All band members have the same song set (PDF files) on their iPads.

So, for this use, the iPad saves time, doesn't get in the way, and still lets us be musicians ...

-Jim


Love the networking idea... changing all the musicsheets in one go., What app are you suing for that?
_________________________
Yamaha Genos and Modx 8, MFC10, Ipad pro.

http://keyszone.boards.net

Top
#400107 - 03/02/15 11:38 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: jimlaing]
ianmcnll Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 07/27/05
Posts: 10592
Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: jimlaing
I use an iPad when performing, and when my band plays, there are 4 iPads. I have prepared things so that at a gig, all the iPads are networked.
So, for this use, the iPad saves time, doesn't get in the way, and still lets us be musicians ...

-Jim


This is a very creative idea Jim.

Ian
_________________________
Yamaha Tyros4, Yamaha MS-60S Powered Monitors(2), Yamaha CS-01, Yamaha TQ-5, Yamaha PSR-S775.

Top
#400108 - 03/02/15 11:43 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
jimlaing Offline
Member

Registered: 09/24/02
Posts: 512
Loc: Raleigh, NC
I'm using unrealBook. I has a "master/slave" setup; I make my iPad the master, the others slaves. So the other musicians basically use the iPads as display devices. They don't have to do any tapping/scrolling at all. My iPad controls theirs. And my iPad calls up Registrations too (and I have ~500 of those) so it saves me from having to press some keyboard buttons to get the Tyros ready for almost any song I choose from those in my iPad (if I have a Registration set up for it).

Jim
_________________________
Genos / Tyros5 / HK Lucas Nano 600 / FTB Maxx 40a / EV ZX1A / Rock'n'Roller cart / Hauptwerk virtual pipe organ / misc other audio & music toys

Top
#400109 - 03/02/15 12:01 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
124 Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 01/01/09
Posts: 2025

Top
#400110 - 03/02/15 12:20 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Online   content
Senior Member

Registered: 09/21/00
Posts: 39522
Loc: NJ
The video in no way shows navigational features while playing live or searching for songs, lyrics, etc, all while playing,
keeping 3 or 4 separate windows open, mp3 songs, backing tracks, lyrics at the same time etc, vs a good laptop!!......
that's what tablet of any kind can't do. If so prove it to me but I highly doubt it,..
The tablet was useless to me on stage & no match for using keys & up/down arrows on stage to search thru hundreds of files for my needs when I had one dumped it quick after 2 weeks. ...[b][/b]


Edited by Dnj (03/02/15 12:23 PM)

Top
#400111 - 03/02/15 12:29 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 03/02/06
Posts: 6617
Originally Posted By: Dnj
The video in no way shows navigational features while playing live or searching for songs, lyrics, etc, all while playing,
keeping 3 or 4 separate windows open, mp3 songs, backing tracks, lyrics at the same time etc, vs a good laptop!!......
that's what tablet of any kind can't do. If so prove it to me but I highly doubt it,..
The tablet was useless to me on stage & no match for using keys & up/down arrows on stage to search thru hundreds of files for my needs when I had one dumped it quick after 2 weeks. ...[b][/b]


Thats where you fail, trying to use an ipad as if it was a pc....


Using an ipad requires rethinking... And keep in mind, he got his setup toally midified and controlled..
_________________________
Yamaha Genos and Modx 8, MFC10, Ipad pro.

http://keyszone.boards.net

Top
#400112 - 03/02/15 12:52 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
124 Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 01/01/09
Posts: 2025
I'm not a tech kinda guy, but that video sure got me interested. Doesn't seem to be all that difficult.

Top
#400113 - 03/02/15 01:12 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 07/27/05
Posts: 10592
Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bachus
Originally Posted By: Dnj
The video in no way shows navigational features while playing live or searching for songs, lyrics, etc, all while playing,
keeping 3 or 4 separate windows open, mp3 songs, backing tracks, lyrics at the same time etc, vs a good laptop!!......
that's what tablet of any kind can't do. If so prove it to me but I highly doubt it,..
The tablet was useless to me on stage & no match for using keys & up/down arrows on stage to search thru hundreds of files for my needs when I had one dumped it quick after 2 weeks. ...[b][/b]


Thats where you fail, trying to use an ipad as if it was a pc....


Using an ipad requires rethinking... And keep in mind, he got his setup toally midified and controlled..


Yep, a bit of rethinking and creativity...fellow SZ', Jim, above, has used both effectively!

These devices are only limited by the narrow-mindedness (or, put more kindly, set-in-their-ways-thinking) of the user.

Ian
_________________________
Yamaha Tyros4, Yamaha MS-60S Powered Monitors(2), Yamaha CS-01, Yamaha TQ-5, Yamaha PSR-S775.

Top
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin 



Help keep Synth Zone Online