SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#398958 - 01/30/15 06:49 AM Arranger modules
Bachus Offline

I think there are way to few options if you want to choose an arranger module to add to your workstation instead of a full arranger...

Ofcourse there is Ketron, they have Midjay plus, midjPro and Audya 4.

Then there is Roland with the BK7M

And then there is Wersi with the EX1, which is still on par with the other arrangers if the software is updated but only available as a used instrument.

All other used arranger modules are outdated. The 2 biggest arranger companies are not players in this market.

And then there is always the option to use V-arranger which to me has all the functionality these other hardware modules offer.

Why arent there more arranger modules? because an arranger module is extremely flexible and it allows you to add arranger capabillities to any Workstation (kronos/FA/Motif/MoXF) stage piano (Nord stage/Kawaii MP series/roland RD series) or Synths (JP80/Vsynth/Nord/) or just as pert of your masterkeyboard setup...

If you want a portable hammeraction 88 keys keybed in combination with styles, then a module is your only option if you dont want to add a 2nd set of keys and still be portable..

(yamaha Clavinova series are not an option as they are anything but portable)

I think there is some room in this market segment.

Edited by Bachus (01/30/15 06:50 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#398960 - 01/30/15 07:09 AM Re: Arranger modules [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

I agree. I am hoping for a successor of the BK-7m, which was released in 2011. It sells quite well, Thomann shows more than 20 reviews. I really hope Roland hasn't abandoned it completely. Besides Ketron and Roland, the others seem to have turned away from modules and racks in both the arranger and synthesizer segment, which I don't understand either. There are enough people who, for instance, want to decide about the quality of the keybed independently of a sound generator connected to it.

#398961 - 01/30/15 07:18 AM Re: Arranger modules [Re: Bachus]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Bachus,
ABSOLUTELY! Something you can add to a MIDI keyboard (including 88 Hammer action)

And there is plenty of options for MIDI controllers to use with a module...getting better all the time. BUT....take a look at the T5 for example...how many MIDI (function) switched does it have...LOTS AND they are for the most part where they need to be. One thing I wish I had right now is a strip of many MIDI switches 36 or so. A narrow strip to stick on the very bottom (top of the keys) on my MIDI keyboard for control of most common items needed on a regular basis while using styles, AND the switches need to be quiet. I hate hearing switch noise as I run the machine! It does not exist today. I can get by with other options...but not as good.

As you know I am involved in the vA2.
I will be doing a lot of review,demo soon.
I am still learning it and it will take a little time to be sure I understand before saying how it is in each respect.
Dan is very helpful, and I hope he does not tire of my questions and requests for improvements (if any).

Imagine a T5 module on top of a MOXF or any other PRO keyboard...you would have the best of both words.
BUT Pro's in a band environment do not typically use a arranger.
One thing that really works well is to add a 88 key hammer action below the arranger keyboard....but that's mostly for home use, not gigging for obvious reasons.

I think Ketron caters to accordion, guitar, etc players & that's where a module works well. The others really do not cater to that group as far as I know.

I think software arrangers is the answer, vs a module. Having a 22" touch screen above the keyboard is cool. Just need a MIDI keyboard that has essentially all the controls needed to have a optimized control of the arranger.

#398963 - 01/30/15 07:26 AM Re: Arranger modules [Re: leeboy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: leeboy
Bachus,Just need a MIDI keyboard that has essentially all the controls needed to have a optimized control of the arranger.

That's what has been holding me back from even attempting to try this software arranger method..not to mention all the questions and unknown aspects of it all. Especially in a LIVE stage performance scenario.

#398967 - 01/30/15 07:50 AM Re: Arranger modules [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Donny,
While my musical talent is not up to the level of wow performance, I can play some and I am very Tech.
So stay tuned we'll both see where this leads.

you may be surprised as to how good it is.

#398970 - 01/30/15 08:39 AM Re: Arranger modules [Re: leeboy]
Bachus Offline

Bachus,
ABSOLUTELY! Something you can add to a MIDI keyboard (including 88 Hammer action)

And there is plenty of options for MIDI controllers to use with a module...getting better all the time. BUT....take a look at the T5 for example...how many MIDI (function) switched does it have...LOTS AND they are for the most part where they need to be. One thing I wish I had right now is a strip of many MIDI switches 36 or so. A narrow strip to stick on the very bottom (top of the keys) on my MIDI keyboard for control of most common items needed on a regular basis while using styles, AND the switches need to be quiet. I hate hearing switch noise as I run the machine! It does not exist today. I can get by with other options...but not as good.

As you know I am involved in the vA2.
I will be doing a lot of review,demo soon.
I am still learning it and it will take a little time to be sure I understand before saying how it is in each respect.
Dan is very helpful, and I hope he does not tire of my questions and requests for improvements (if any).

Imagine a T5 module on top of a MOXF or any other PRO keyboard...you would have the best of both words.
BUT Pro's in a band environment do not typically use a arranger.
One thing that really works well is to add a 88 key hammer action below the arranger keyboard....but that's mostly for home use, not gigging for obvious reasons.

I think Ketron caters to accordion, guitar, etc players & that's where a module works well. The others really do not cater to that group as far as I know.

I think software arrangers is the answer, vs a module. Having a 22" touch screen above the keyboard is cool. Just need a MIDI keyboard that has essentially all the controls needed to have a optimized control of the arranger.

Its not meant for those pro players on stage.... Its meant for people that enjoy playing music at home, or pianists, playing lounge music with styles, or whatever... But bandplayers? Not really, unless they play at home...

(Bands overhere in Holland hardly can find any keyboardists, they are a rare breed, as it is the hardest instrument one generally plays in bands)

I would love to see a Tyros quallity Yamaha arranger module, but i think a modestly priced PsR quallity module would work just as good ( style quallity) and sell much much better...

#398971 - 01/30/15 08:42 AM Re: Arranger modules [Re: leeboy]
Dnj Offline

Donny,
While my musical talent is not up to the level of wow performance, I can play some and I am very Tech.

I hope so...very interested in software arrangers etc....but I'm in a slow holding pattern observing and trying to get a grip on it all which seems to be relegated to the few who understand and not enough emphasis on the players who have no idea what its all about and how to operate the programs and what gear is needed if they ever want to replace a all in one hardware arranger KB.......
not everyone is a Pc Guru, with that in mind I don't see everyone running to go the way of Software arrangers and there is a reason for that....who knows maybe that will change in the future.
knowledge is power.

Edited by Dnj (01/30/15 08:43 AM)

#398972 - 01/30/15 08:44 AM Re: Arranger modules [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
I agree. I am hoping for a successor of the BK-7m, which was released in 2011. It sells quite well, Thomann shows more than 20 reviews. I really hope Roland hasn't abandoned it completely. Besides Ketron and Roland, the others seem to have turned away from modules and racks in both the arranger and synthesizer segment, which I don't understand either. There are enough people who, for instance, want to decide about the quality of the keybed independently of a sound generator connected to it.

How about combining BK7m and integra 7.... And sell for about 2k (they should however make it a better comtroll surface... Because thats where BK7 really lacks... Maybe add the option to ave some of the controll and most of the edditing on an Ipad...

It would sell big time, espescially if they could also add next generation styles and style edditing

#398975 - 01/30/15 08:59 AM Re: Arranger modules [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: Bachus

(Bands overhere in Holland hardly can find any keyboardists, they are a rare breed, as it is the hardest instrument one generally plays in bands)

I would love to see a Tyros quallity Yamaha arranger module, but i think a modestly priced PsR quallity module would work just as good ( style quallity) and sell much much better...

Just about everywhere I traveled in the US keyboards are a rare commidity in bands. Most bands here consist of a drummer, bass player, a rythm guitar player, a lead guitar player and maybe a singer or two - that's it! The neat part about where I am right now, in the Florida Keys, I'm the only keyboard player in town, which is a great position to be in. The major stumbling block here is that most of the guys that are currently performing, the have guitar will travel guys, got booked in back in early December and this makes it difficult for late comers like me to book jobs. However, I think I will be booked at least twice a week at the new Hyatt Regency restaurant/lounge which opened just a couple weeks ago. I talked with the manager and she seemed to be quite intertested. I should know something by Monday.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#398978 - 01/30/15 09:09 AM Re: Arranger modules [Re: Dnj]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Donny,

I hope so...very interested in software arrangers etc....but I'm in a slow holding pattern observing and trying to get a grip on it all which seems to be relegated to the few who understand and not enough emphasis on the players who have no idea what its all about and how to operate the programs and what gear is needed if they ever want to replace a all in one hardware arranger KB.......
not everyone is a Pc Guru, with that in mind I don't see everyone running to go the way of Software arrangers and there is a reason for that....who knows maybe that will change in the future.
knowledge is power.

Nailed it, Donny. It's got to be something the non-techies like me can just sit down and play. To me, high tech is not so high if the gurus can't achieve that. Enabling the average guy to handle one of these setups with ease will be the real triumph.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online