SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#398954 - 01/30/15 06:28 AM Bose L1 Compact/Concert
KORG80 Offline

I did a concert in a large church yesterday. They had a huge mixer and sound system with stage monitors etc. While setting up, I told the church sound man that he could take a feed from the back of the Bose. He plugged in his feed and walked to the back of the church where his mixing console was. At that point I had started a sound check with one of my songs. Instead of firing up his system, he walked around the church a bit and came back and unplugged the cable from the back of the Bose. He told me it sounded great and he wouldn't need to use the megabucks audio system installed into the church. What a great affirmation to my decision to purchase this system. Hallelujah!

Another thing that helped to make my day was being told by the woman in charge that "You Know Me" touched her heart. This is the song Don M. posted for me here a day or two after I had recorded it while stranded by nasty weather in my place in Wasaga Beach, Ontario.
God Bless,
Don

#398977 - 01/30/15 09:05 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact/Concert [Re: KORG80]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA

Don, I told you that you and your audiences would love what they heard. Every location I have played since I first procurred the Bose L1 and L1 Compact has raved about the sound distribution and overall sound quality. Ironically, many of the positive comments have come from other musicians and entertainers that used conventional sound systems. Many of them have since switched over to Bose and said they would never go back to a conventional sound system.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#398980 - 01/30/15 09:10 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact/Concert [Re: travlin'easy]
KORG80 Offline

Indeed Brian and Gary thanks for your advice and support on my decision to go with Bose. Glad I listened. Maybe now I can sell my Traynor M80 P.A. system which I thought I might need for bigger venues. It hasn't been plugged in since I got the Bose.

God Bless.
Don

#398981 - 01/30/15 09:12 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact/Concert [Re: KORG80]

Don, for the larger jobs, I purchased a second Bose L1 Compact. Using both, I can easily handle up to 500 ppl in the audience and still never turn the keyboard or system to the halfway point. And, it has all the bottom end anyone could want for the younger crowds.

Gary cool

#398982 - 01/30/15 09:15 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact/Concert [Re: KORG80]
124 Offline

I'll chime in here just to agree with all of the above. In three years, I've never met a room yet that the L1 Mk.II w/ToneMatch didn't love.

#398988 - 01/30/15 11:34 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact/Concert [Re: KORG80]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Gary, you know I love the Bose Compacts, and I always use two together in stereo, BUT, to handle 500 people they would have to be seated and fairly quite. I really pushed mine to handle a rather rowdy Mardi Gras party with about 250 people. It's the only time I have missed the bigger L1 system.
Now, a one or two of the bigger L1s and a sub or two and you can handle anything any of us are liable to come across. But 90+ percent of the time it would be overkill.
Plus I like the fact that the Compacts are so easily positioned. I generally use each with one extension, but if I'm at crowd level (not on bandstand) I sometimes use both extensions. Position one to each side and slightly behind, and I can hear exactly what the crowd hears (for better or for worse!)

#398990 - 01/30/15 11:58 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact/Concert [Re: KORG80]

Don, I haven't done a job larger than 250 to 300 people in years, so the 500 figure was merely a guess based upon how well the pair of compacts handled 250 to 300 people. Now, when I was using the L1 PAS I did a job in a massive tent in Ocean City, Maryland with more than 1,000 paid attendance. The single L1 PAS with a single sub was more than adequate for all those drunken millionaires. For the jobs I do now, it would be overkill for sure.

This Saturday evening, I'll be at the marina tiki hut and if the weather cooperates I'll have about 250 people there, and that single compact handled that crowd very well two years ago. And, all the folks anchored out in the mooring field an eighth of a mi;e away said they could here the music just fine. Of course, the sound carries very well across the water at night.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online