SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#398122 - 01/12/15 12:02 PM Active PA..trend toward line array systems
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
The recent thread on active PA systems got me to thinking...

I'm always interested in getting a better sound at a gig...to that end, I'm always reading about, and occasionally trying out new PA systems.

I've owned a number of traditional PA systems to include Yamaha's DXR which are great speakers to my ear.

But since the advent of line array systems...sort of started with the Bose L1 systems, it seems to me that line array is the coming trend.

For example, HK, Maui and Bose(others?)all produce line array(I believe they are line array systems) systems for smaller gigs. Also, Centerpoint is producing a very interesting unique(supposed stereo) speaker system in the Spacestation V.3.

I'm also seeing line array systems produced by Peavey and others..but intended for larger venues.

I've used some form of Bose L1 since they first became available almost 10 years ago. Since then, I've moved to the L1 Compact system, still my go to system.

We play to very small audiences...100 folks or less in smaller venues where these line array systems shine.

But that said, I'm wondering if the days of the more traditional speaker systems are limited?

Curious as usual.

Rog L.

Edited by guitpic1 (01/12/15 12:03 PM)

#398124 - 01/12/15 12:46 PM Re: Active PA..trend toward line array systems [Re: guitpic1]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Rog,

The main benefit of the traditional speaker system is exactly the disadvantage that the Bose (and other line arrays) seem to overcome...sound fall off.

When I played at the restaurant, using my Yamaha MS-60S powered speakers, those who wished to talk and not listen to the music simply were seated far enough away where it wouldn't interfere.

If I was using a Bose system, the sound would still be heard at relatively the same volume no matter where they were seated...that's why the regular speakers worked so well in my case.

I suspect other venues would benefit from speaker sound fall off.

A rented Bose system (actually two of 'em in stereo) worked extremely well for me when I was doing a theater gig and wanted full coverage with little or no sound drop off at all points in the venue.

So each fills a specific need.

Ian

#398129 - 01/12/15 02:01 PM Re: Active PA..trend toward line array systems [Re: guitpic1]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Question...in my home where I play (small den)
What would be a good stereo system for Arranger play??
I currently have 2 Mackie HR824's and I think I will sell them and get something different.
Thanks,
Lee

#398130 - 01/12/15 02:08 PM Re: Active PA..trend toward line array systems [Re: leeboy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: leeboy
Question...in my home where I play (small den)
What would be a good stereo system for Arranger play??
I currently have 2 Mackie HR824's and I think I will sell them and get something different.
Thanks,
Lee

In a small den, it's unlikely you're going to improve much on a couple of Nearfield monitors like the 824's. They're a little bass-heavy but other than that, what don't you like about them?

chas

#398131 - 01/12/15 02:23 PM Re: Active PA..trend toward line array systems [Re: guitpic1]
leeboy Offline

Just seems like overkill as to power...and maybe I could sell them (they are like new, never been out of my house) and get something lighter/smaller
Lee

#398133 - 01/12/15 02:34 PM Re: Active PA..trend toward line array systems [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Why sell the Mackies and lose money even thought they've never left your home. they look like perfect speakers for a small room. If you like the sound but feel they're too powerful just turn them down or get a small mixer for more control. I sometimes go thru the same thing and after going round with all the options I realize I'm just changing something for no reason.

Edited by Bill Lewis (01/12/15 02:37 PM)

#398134 - 01/12/15 03:06 PM Re: Active PA..trend toward line array systems [Re: guitpic1]
leeboy Offline

Good points... I guess since I have not had anything else..I wander if a speaker system like on Tyros with powerd wolfer might sound better. I guess the Mackies are darn good so maybe not??
Lee

#398137 - 01/12/15 03:37 PM Re: Active PA..trend toward line array systems [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Still using Logitech Z2200s in my "studio". Also Z5500 in the living room for surround sound.
Not sure what the latest reincarnation of the Z2200s is, but if it's as good as these old ones, it would be worthy of consideration.

#398141 - 01/12/15 06:10 PM Re: Active PA..trend toward line array systems [Re: guitpic1]
leeboy Offline

So, Don,
These are just home audio powered PC type speakers??
I did find these: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-2-1...kuId=1311968973

I wander if they are similar...they seem too cheap to be any good?

Thanks,
Lee

#398143 - 01/12/15 06:35 PM Re: Active PA..trend toward line array systems [Re: guitpic1]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I have the Logitech Z-2300 system...it's incredible, especially the sub woofer...hard to imagine a system originally designed for games and movies could sound so great on a keyboard...but it does.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online