SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#397745 - 01/05/15 09:17 AM EPIODEMIC IN MARYLAND
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Musical entertainment came to a screeching halt this past week in the Baltimore metropolitan area. Just about every musician/entertainer I know is down with either the flu or a nasty viral pneumonia.

I got a call this morning from an old friend that I fill in for at a local restaurant, asking if I had recovered enough to fill in for him this evening. I was the last guy on his call list, mainly because he knew I was in rough shape from viral pneumonia. He had called a half dozen others prior to calling me, and they too were down and out. And, everyone they knew was down with something nasty.

On the local news last night they stated that every hospital was jammed to capacity, patients were being treated in beds situated in the hospital hallways, and storerooms were being cleaned out to create rooms for the patient overload. Emergency rooms were jammed to capacity 24 hours a day, and the same was true with the local doc in a box facilities.

Apparently, Maryland is not the only area with this problem, and the national news says it's a nationwide epidemic. And, you ARE NOT protected by the flu shot with this one. The flu shot is usually two years out of date at best, and sometimes three years out of date, which makes it somewhat worthless. Most influenza virus' mutate once they've made the rounds, and rarely return in the same form they originally arrived. The pneumonia shot only protects a very tiny percentage of individuals from a single form of pneumonia, pnumococal pneumonia, so it's not all that effective as well.

If you're an old fart, a category of which I'm a card carrying member, this disease can really knock you down hard, and can be fatal - yes, it's that nasty. I've been bedridden since Christmas Day and had serious thoughts about going back to the hospital, but I would have to endure a 10 to 12 hour wait in the ER before being admitted. Tomorrow, I see the pulmonary doctors, possibly get some supplemental oxygen, and if I'm well enough on Thursday or Friday, I'm going to have Carol drive me to Florida to complete my recovery down there in the warm, salt air.

This virus is highly contagious - HIGHLY! It can be contracted via airborne when someone in the room coughs, even if they cover their mouths. It is rapidly transmitted via contact, hands, etc..., so was your hands with an antibacterial solution everytime you touch something. The dirtiest place I know of is the handles of refrigerators and freezer cases in grocery stores - they never get washed. Same is true with the handles of shopping carts. And, avoid those kisses and hugs from the ladies, no matter how beautiful those ladies appear to be. I'm always amazed when someone comes up and gives me a big hug and kiss, then tells me they were not sure they would be able to make the event because they have been so sick during the past week. This happens a lot.

Stay healthy my friends,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (01/05/15 09:17 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#397751 - 01/05/15 11:53 AM Re: EPIODEMIC IN MARYLAND [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

have fun in Florida Gary......and seriously think about moving there forever...health wise you'll be better off life is too short buddy!

#397759 - 01/05/15 02:08 PM Re: EPIODEMIC IN MARYLAND [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Gary, this is downright eerie. My health issues over the past few weeks (started Christmas Eve) almost exactly mirror yours. I'm just starting to recover from what must have been the nastiest URI I've had in years. Hard core infection involving throat, chest, and sinus. Didn't go to doctor or hospital figuring it would cure itself a week quicker if I didn't smile. Georgia has been hit especially hard with deaths in the double digits, but as you said, I think it's nationwide.

The other similar thing is that we too are headed to Florida, but me for the RV Supershow in Tampa and then to visit some friends in Sarasota and Marco Island. I'm flying down 'cause I've winterized my Motorhome and it's too much of a hassle to undo/redo that for 1 trip. Hope you enjoy your stay in the Keys although your wife could charge you with domestic abuse if you make here do that drive. I did it last year just about this same time (Key West) but in a luxury diesel motorhome with several stops at RV Resorts AND IT'S STILL NO PICNIC. My wife won't even CONSIDER driving that beast even though she does 90% of the driving if we go anywhere by car. Should've married a female trucker, I guess. Wasn't thinking ahead.

Your advice on keeping yourself safe (germ-wise) is good and I hope everyone heeds that advice. Every health threat is magnified for those of us in our 'golden years'.

chas

#397761 - 01/05/15 02:33 PM Re: EPIODEMIC IN MARYLAND [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Hospitals are full here too. I guess it's some bad stuff. I hope you both get better quickly and that everyone else dodges it!

#397770 - 01/05/15 05:13 PM Re: EPIODEMIC IN MARYLAND [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Just about a month ago I had my yearly physical and my doc ordered me to get Shingles, Pneumonia and a Tetanus shot. Got the flu shot 2 months prior to the doc's yearly check up. I thought he was loco ordering me to get a Tetanus shot, he told me there was an outbreak of Whopping Cough in California and it was spreading like crazy. I thought OK you're the doc, I'll get the shots. Not sure it will pay off or not but knock on wood, haven't been sick yet, and last week we traveled from RI to Florida took 3 nights on the road in hotels and made stops at very congested rest areas on I-95. Loved the $1.99 a gallon fuel in Georgia.

Gary, Hope your total recovery is soon.

Edited by Stephenm52 (01/05/15 05:15 PM)

#397784 - 01/05/15 07:26 PM Re: EPIODEMIC IN MARYLAND [Re: travlin'easy]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
I am sick with the FLU here in Florida,so, I guess it's a nationwide epidemic.Too late for TAMALFLU and a week later and still can't seem to shake it off frown

#397806 - 01/06/15 08:31 AM Re: EPIODEMIC IN MARYLAND [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Just got home from the pulmonary doctors office. My pulmonary functions have decreased by 47 percent since August, I still have pneumonia in both the right and left upper lobes of my lungs, just increased the dosage of some meds, says I should be better in about a month or maybe three weeks at best. It's a really nasty virus, and it remains contagious for up to 14 days. We just got 3 inches of snow, and today's high will be 22 degrees. Tamaflu will not work if it's not type A or type B influenza. And, Tamaflu sells for $195 a pill here.

Good luck,

Gary cool

#397807 - 01/06/15 08:33 AM Re: EPIODEMIC IN MARYLAND [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Just got home from the pulmonary doctors office. My pulmonary functions have decreased by 47 percent since August, I still have pneumonia in both the right and left upper lobes of my lungs, just increased the dosage of some meds, says I should be better in about a month or maybe three weeks at best. It's a really nasty virus, and it remains contagious for up to 14 days. We just got 3 inches of snow, and today's high will be 22 degrees. Tamaflu will not work if it's not type A or type B influenza. And, Tamaflu sells for $195 a pill here.

gary get out of dodge NOW!!!!

#397812 - 01/06/15 08:55 AM Re: EPIODEMIC IN MARYLAND [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Maybe Sunday, if I feel well enough to hit the road.

Gary cool

#397819 - 01/06/15 09:17 AM Re: EPIODEMIC IN MARYLAND [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Maybe Sunday, if I feel well enough to hit the road.
Gary cool

make SURE you feel well enough ... no need for emergency stops along the way ... and Carol doesn't need that pressure ... another couple of days at home might not be the worst thing ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online