Musical entertainment came to a screeching halt this past week in the Baltimore metropolitan area. Just about every musician/entertainer I know is down with either the flu or a nasty viral pneumonia.

I got a call this morning from an old friend that I fill in for at a local restaurant, asking if I had recovered enough to fill in for him this evening. I was the last guy on his call list, mainly because he knew I was in rough shape from viral pneumonia. He had called a half dozen others prior to calling me, and they too were down and out. And, everyone they knew was down with something nasty.

On the local news last night they stated that every hospital was jammed to capacity, patients were being treated in beds situated in the hospital hallways, and storerooms were being cleaned out to create rooms for the patient overload. Emergency rooms were jammed to capacity 24 hours a day, and the same was true with the local doc in a box facilities.

Apparently, Maryland is not the only area with this problem, and the national news says it's a nationwide epidemic. And, you ARE NOT protected by the flu shot with this one. The flu shot is usually two years out of date at best, and sometimes three years out of date, which makes it somewhat worthless. Most influenza virus' mutate once they've made the rounds, and rarely return in the same form they originally arrived. The pneumonia shot only protects a very tiny percentage of individuals from a single form of pneumonia, pnumococal pneumonia, so it's not all that effective as well.

If you're an old fart, a category of which I'm a card carrying member, this disease can really knock you down hard, and can be fatal - yes, it's that nasty. I've been bedridden since Christmas Day and had serious thoughts about going back to the hospital, but I would have to endure a 10 to 12 hour wait in the ER before being admitted. Tomorrow, I see the pulmonary doctors, possibly get some supplemental oxygen, and if I'm well enough on Thursday or Friday, I'm going to have Carol drive me to Florida to complete my recovery down there in the warm, salt air.

This virus is highly contagious - HIGHLY! It can be contracted via airborne when someone in the room coughs, even if they cover their mouths. It is rapidly transmitted via contact, hands, etc..., so was your hands with an antibacterial solution everytime you touch something. The dirtiest place I know of is the handles of refrigerators and freezer cases in grocery stores - they never get washed. Same is true with the handles of shopping carts. And, avoid those kisses and hugs from the ladies, no matter how beautiful those ladies appear to be. I'm always amazed when someone comes up and gives me a big hug and kiss, then tells me they were not sure they would be able to make the event because they have been so sick during the past week. This happens a lot.

Stay healthy my friends,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (01/05/15 09:17 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)