SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#397583 - 12/31/14 09:11 AM Midi/Style Database Organizer ??????
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
I am sure that everyone has the same problems that I have, when it comes to organizing and finding files....

What advice can you give me to be more efficient in finally organizing my files in a meaningful way ?

Ron

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#397586 - 12/31/14 09:49 AM Re: Midi/Style Database Organizer ?????? [Re: rphillipchuk]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
It would be helpful to know where you want to organize these files ... on a PC/Laptop, KB, ? ...

#397591 - 12/31/14 10:47 AM Re: Midi/Style Database Organizer ?????? [Re: rphillipchuk]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ron, the files can be saved in folders on a USB thumb drive using windows explorer. This will save them alphabetically/numerically.

For midi files, save by song title, or artist - it's that easy. Of course the files have to be appropriately named to do this.

Same is true for style files. You can save these in categories and separate folders, or for third party styles, rename them to an appropriate song title, which is what I did many years ago when I created gig disks. I created the gig disks because I had hundreds of third party style files, many of which were very good, but there was no way to determine which style fit which song the best by simply scanning through the styles. By renaming them with song titles that fit them, it was just a matter of looking for the song, similar to a midi file.

If all of this is stored on a USB drive, be sure to make a backup USB drive - just to be on the safe side. My USB drive stays in the keyboard, and everything can be selected directly from that drive in the blink of an eye.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#397592 - 12/31/14 11:16 AM Re: Midi/Style Database Organizer ?????? [Re: tony mads usa]
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
It would be helpful to know where you want to organize these files ... on a PC/Laptop, KB, ? ...

Tony and others

I have a PC and a Mac.....I have over million and a half files ( these are not just random files off the internet ).....I need a program that will give me a head start categorizing them. I really have too many to files, to go file to file sorting them out.

Perhaps some kind of a Database program that will at least do some of the work..

Thanks in advance
Ron

Edited by rphillipchuk (12/31/14 11:17 AM)

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#397595 - 12/31/14 12:28 PM Re: Midi/Style Database Organizer ?????? [Re: rphillipchuk]
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

This is recommended...
http://www.wierzba.homepage.t-online.de/psd/psdmain.htm

Regards - and HAPPY NEW YEAR
Jørgen

#397609 - 12/31/14 05:25 PM Re: Midi/Style Database Organizer ?????? [Re: rphillipchuk]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Wow, over a million and a half midi files and they are not random files off the internet. Hey let’s share.

John C.

Ron, it must take a great deal of time keeping that many midis in some type of order. I’m feeling that just setting up a system, even if was the best, is going to be one great task.

#397610 - 12/31/14 05:39 PM Re: Midi/Style Database Organizer ?????? [Re: rphillipchuk]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I have about the same number of midi files as well, but like all huge collections, there are a lot of duplicates, loads of bad ones that are not worth keeping, and maybe 50,000 exceptionally good ones.

I also have about 55,000 style files on hand, but in this case, no duplicates and a lot of very good ones.

Unfortunately, it is painstakingly slow to sort through all this and put it into order. Each file must be played one by one to determine their quality - that's more time than I have left on the planet.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online